SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-05-22, 06:30 PM   #16
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default Welcome back

RickC Sniper! after a bit of a silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-22, 05:09 AM   #17
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I've never given other drivers one finger salute. Always used one hand(five fingers) and given sign if I done something wrong.

When it comes to making thing wrong in the Traffic I learned once that in countries like France, Spain, Portugal and maybe Germany
A driver use 3 fingers on his right/left hand and spred them while they turn them horizontal-This should represent the letter E=Excuse

Markus

Here, we normally use the hand, all 5 fingers to say thank you or excuse, with the occasional head bow or saying the words (that many times are not audible by the other driver or pedestrian.

Of course when the feelings are high, we do tend to gesticulate and swear more.

Never heard about the 3 finger rule.

The driver license, I think that it is similar, since it's now EU general rules or something like that. I remember that B - ordinary car, i can drive 4 wheel motorcycles and tractors (agriculture ones; I can not remember the correct term for them in english) to 4000 kg. Other permissions I have to read the code again.

The roundabouts, one must giver priority to the cars inside and when I learn, specific for small roundabouts with only 2 lanes like many in my town, we should do by the right lane, leaving the left/ interior one for the driver that wanted to exit the same way it came, using the roundabout for a "u-turn".

The rule was not tight so, also a person could use the left lane and use the second or third exit, being always in the left lane, if the exit had 2 lanes.
Early last decade the rule changed so in any roundabout, large or small, the right lane is only to be use for exit in the first. All the rest, the driver have to use the left(s) lanes and then begin to go to the right ones until the exit that serves him best.

In my opinion, here, several people do the roundabouts like them want and sometimes the rules are just out of the window...
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-22, 07:41 AM   #18
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

When it snows or rains, hop into your minivan with the balding "all weather" tires and drive 70 mph.

After all, your mini van has "All wheel drive" so you are safe.

The faster you drive on icy roads the less time you spend on the road and therefore your chances of an accident go way down.
Old 01-06-22, 10:22 AM   #19
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Three fingers could also mean somebody ordered five beer for his buddies at the sawmill.
Old 01-06-22, 01:34 PM   #20
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
When it snows or rains, hop into your minivan with the balding "all weather" tires and drive 70 mph.

After all, your mini van has "All wheel drive" so you are safe.

The faster you drive on icy roads the less time you spend on the road and therefore your chances of an accident go way down.
Don't forget that when a bad Snow Storm rolls in you HAVE to go driving around to get pictures for FaceBook and Twitter!
Old 01-06-22, 02:10 PM   #21
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Don't forget that when a bad Snow Storm rolls in you HAVE to go driving around to get pictures for FaceBook and Twitter!
I've never fully understod the need for this-the need for driving for no reason when it's a blizzard, hurricane or other servere weather.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-22, 02:40 PM   #22
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I've never fully understod the need for this-the need for driving for no reason when it's a blizzard, hurricane or other servere weather.

Markus
Back in the days of liberty and rear wheel drive vehicles we used to go out in snowstorms to do Broadies in a nearby shopping center parking lot. Great fun.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-22, 02:41 PM   #23
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

cool No matter the tempest nor dark of night nor sleet of hail!

That's because essential cargos: 5 lb. Houma LA bags of Ohio Kroger sugar, bagged Presidio, Texas onions for St Lous Mo. produce markets, Pennsylvania molybdenum for Seattle steel mills, Portland, OR pickles for Austin TX Der Weinerschnitzl franchisees, Huggies & Kotex for nursing moms, San Diego catfood(or people tuna) for Wynn-Dixie Texas supermarkets, copper outta Amarillo TX for New York ski-lift cable companies, Santa Clara, CA Olin Corp insulation for vast Washington's Hanford nuclear-tower sites, kitty-litter outta Missouri clay refineries, Montana bagged alfalfa for ritzy New Jersy horse sulkie-trotting stables, the Sunday Parade supplement for newspapers outta LA for Bay Area newspapers, & empty glass bottles outta Tracy, CA for Anaheim, CA Budweiesr breweries are critically vital to the well being of humanity...no matter the whiteout blizzards across Iowa's I-80, barge collapsed bridges on I-40 in Arkansas or I-395 at Minnesota, howling winter tempests across the heated Wisconsin Mackinac bridge, collapsed snow overhangs(right behind my rig!!) on I-95's Snoqualmie Pass, or snipers on overpasses on I-80 in Pennsylvania shooting motorists...the freight must get thru! Trukkin ain't fer expendible pussies BBY!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-06-22 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-06-22, 02:47 PM   #24
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
That's because essential cargos: 5 lb. bags of Kroger sugar, bagged Texas onions for St Lous Mo.produce markets, molybdenum for Seattle steel mills, pickles fo Der Weinerschnitzl franchisees, Huggies & Kotex for nursing moms , San Diego catfood(or people tuna) for Wynn-DixieTexas supermarkets, copper outta Amarillo for NewYork ski-lift cable companies, Olin insulation for vast Washington nuclear-tower sites,
and kitty litter outta Missouri clay refineries, are critically to the wellbeing of humanity...no matter the whiteout blizzards across Iowa's I-80, barge collapsed bridges on I-40 in Arkansas or I-395 at Minnesota, howling winter tempests across the heated Wisconsin Mackinac bridge, or snipers on overpasses in Pennsylvania shooting motorists...the freight must get thru! Trukkin ain't fer expendible pussies BBY!
You and many others had a good reason to drive when the weather was against you. Others is firefighters, rescue, doctors a.s.o.
But for the rest who has an ordinary jobs there's no need for driving when there's servere weather.

Markus

Old 01-06-22, 02:49 PM   #25
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Now days it's all about "Going Viral!"
How many recall/have done 'Bumper' skiing?
Old 01-06-22, 03:05 PM   #26
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Icon14 A kitchen in the tractor meets"the breadman cometh!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AktunBBy
the well being of humanity
Quote:
Now days it's all about "Going Viral!"

Indeed!! This went viral: https://www.wavy.com/news/virginia/t...5-in-virginia/ & https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...story/2927863/
Quote:
A long-haul truck driver dipped into his own food supply to feed motorists stranded on Interstate 95 in Virginia gridlocked by a winter storm.

Heavy snowfall and plunging temperatures stranded hundreds of motorists along a stretch of one of the nation’s biggest interstate highways. Having a kitchen in a modern rig aint bad!!
Quote:
This is an incredible thank you to Schmidt Baking Company for your humanity and compassion.

After almost 21 hours of being stuck on 95 South, sleeping here over night, not having access to food or water, and all of the nearest towns being out of power we were tired, frustrated, and hungry. Many of the people stuck out here had small children, were elderly, had pets in the car, and hadn’t eaten in almost a whole day.

We reached out to Schmidt Baking Company and begged them to open their truck that was stuck out here with us. We didn’t think it would actually work, but less then 20 minutes later we got an incredible suprise. We received a personal call from the owner of the company Chuck who contacted the driver. This driver Ron Hill opened the back of the truck and with the help of some people close by passed out bread to more than 50 cars who were all incredibly thankful.

This was one of the kindest moments I have ever witnessed. Thank you Schmidt

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-06-22 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-06-22, 03:15 PM   #27
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Yeah. And how many people starve to death in 24 or even 48 hours!
Suck it up BUTTERCUPS! You all headed out KNOWING a Storm was coming!

Can't even die of thirst in that time. But then again idiots probably don't know Snow is water!
Old 01-06-22, 04:09 PM   #28
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Can't even die of thirst in that time. But then again idiots probably don't know Snow is water!

We seem to have just about reached that point haven't we?
Old 01-06-22, 04:11 PM   #29
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
We seem to have just about reached that point haven't we?
I'd say We are beyond that point!
And say it's just Natures way to eliminate the unfit.
Old 01-06-22, 04:35 PM   #30
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Remember a Swedish article about young men and their driving styles. Remember that the article stated that if a psychological test was introduced, in order to get a driver's license-95-98% would fail this test.

Markus