SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-29-21, 07:03 PM   #121
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Maybe it would be better to not add any sail. The trawler having a propeller, was her sail often used in real life ?
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-21, 07:51 PM   #122
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
Maybe it would be better to not add any sail. The trawler having a propeller, was her sail often used in real life ?
I can't say for sure about the kind of boat that kapuhy is working on, but probably what I wrote about puffers might apply to any kind of small vessel:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Talking in general, a mixed wind/engine propulsion can be used to spare fuel and increase top speed with favourable winds. As I have read, aboard puffers the jib sail was used on occasions. In game, the sail will be set as an optional equipment, so it will be rarely seen.
The plan that this model is based on also features a mainsail, but that was used very rarely (probably in case of emergencies as noted by kapuhy) and I decided not to include it in my model.
For my puffer I opted for a static sail, set as an optional equipment so that it won't appear all the times. That's the best compromise I could find between realism, eye candy and game limitations, but let's see if kapuhy finds a better solution
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-21, 02:52 AM   #123
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
About that... it's a case of mission creep really

First I wanted to create a very simple trawler based on NF_boat_1 template (easiest template to work with), but since trawler has 2 masts and a lifeboat I couldn't fit it in 16 meshes this template is limited to, so I decided to make masts as separate equipment taking cue from Gap's idea for his puffer. Then, since I was already making masts separate, I thought it would be cool to model two versions - with and without sail.

Last edited by kapuhy; 12-30-21 at 08:58 AM.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-22, 04:58 PM   #124
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Progress report

Three remaining ships have been imported, they still require a lot of work (currently all three are indestructible, can't catch fire and lack water reflections, plus positions of some crewmen/parts need correcting), but at least they show up in game:

Also added old 3pdr gun that was standard armament of Fairmile boats:

Last edited by kapuhy; 01-16-22 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-16-22, 05:40 PM   #125
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Progress report

So, these beauties are ready for import to SH3 too ?
Old 01-16-22, 06:10 PM   #126
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
So, these beauties are ready for import to SH3 too ?
They will be, as soon as their damage zones will be complete. Plus, there's still a bit of work with gun platforms on the stern (not visible on screenshots here but they will appear on both ships at later stages of the war together with grey paintjob).
Old 01-16-22, 06:33 PM   #127
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Quote:
They will be, as soon as their damage zones will be complete.
Well, the .zon file is useless for SH3 conversion... https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=251044
Old 01-17-22, 03:18 AM   #128
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Well, the .zon file is useless for SH3 conversion... https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=251044
In this case, files are ready so if you'd like to give it a go, I'll send them to you.
Old 01-17-22, 07:19 AM   #129
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Icon14

Quote:
In this case, files are ready so if you'd like to give it a go, I'll send them to you.
Yes sure. Waiting for 3D models and textures for both merchant ships !
Old 01-17-22, 12:59 PM   #130
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Progress report

Three remaining ships have been imported, they still require a lot of work (currently all three are indestructible, can't catch fire and lack water reflections, plus positions of some crewmen/parts need correcting), but at least they show up in game
Amazing models and textures!

Talking about damage, did you find how damage effects linked to .fx files are related to zone damage effects?

My guess is that if a box is damaged and if - according to the zone settings of that box - an certain effect is triggered, the game checks whether fx bones with the same effect linked to them are found within the box. If one or more matches are found, those bones are used as origin of the particle generation. If not, the effect is played at random (?) points within the box.

Does it sound plausible?
Old 01-17-22, 02:43 PM   #131
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Talking about damage, did you find how damage effects linked to .fx files are related to zone damage effects?
Your Kidding me right?
Old 01-17-22, 03:19 PM   #132
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Your Kidding me right?
Jeff, as much as I like kidding you I swear this time I am serious.
Enlighten me please
Old 01-17-22, 04:47 PM   #133
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:

My guess is that if a box is damaged and if - according to the zone settings of that box - an certain effect is triggered, the game checks whether fx bones with the same effect linked to them are found within the box. If one or more matches are found, those bones are used as origin of the particle generation. If not, the effect is played at random (?) points within the box.

Does it sound plausible?
Quote:
Jeff, as much as I like kidding you I swear this time I am serious.
Enlighten me please
As far as I understand:

EDIT: about the idea of checking whether bones are located within the box: stock SH5 ships have just one box for each "parent" fx node, never checked what happens if you set more than one. With one box per parent node its kinda moot point as the box covers entire area parent fx node is "responsible" for.

Last edited by kapuhy; 01-17-22 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-18-22, 04:34 AM   #134
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Exclamation

@Kapuhy : Thank you very much for the files of Armora, I've started conversion for SH3.

I'm having trouble with the AO map though.

In Wings3D, I separated all sub-objects of "Hull1" object, and then combined only the sub-objects specific to the hull (I did the same process for "Hull1_AO" of course). In game, I have a "broken" AO-map as you can see on the screenshot below.

Also, the same problem appears on the funnel, although I didn't modify this object.

Old 01-18-22, 04:42 AM   #135
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
@Kapuhy : Thank you very much for the files of Armora, I've started conversion for SH3.

I'm having trouble with the AO map though.

In Wings3D, I separated all sub-objects of "Hull1" object, and then combined only the sub-objects specific to the hull (I did the same process for "Hull1_AO" of course). In game, I have a "broken" AO-map as you can see on the screenshot below.

Also, the same problem appears on the funnel, although I didn't modify this object.
Could you send me your exported .obj files? If I can take a look at them maybe I'll see why this happens.