SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-02-21, 03:54 PM   #1
Olsin
Bosun

Downloads: 162
Uploads: 0
Default Stock patch problems

Hi Guys..I've been on land for the last few years but now trying to get my sealegs back.
I've got a stock copy of SH3 that i'm trying to patch to V1.4b.
I've checked SH3.exe and can see that my version is 1.0.0.1
I can also see 2 readme text files in SH3's main directory that are called EMEA.en and EMEA.de so i'm assuming my version of SH3 is the european version.
I've now tried as many different patch files as i can find (even tried the american ones) all to no avail. The error message varies depending on which patch i try.
However the error message for the patch that i'm assuming is the correct one, tells me that the file MissionEngine.dll is an unknown version.
I say i assume i'm using the correct patch as the only european patch i can find is usually labeled DVD while i notice the american patch is found in both DVD and download versions. I didn't install my version, i simply copied it from a dvd and just double click on SH3.exe when i want to play....no install.
So, does anyone have any ideas about what i can do as i desperately want to install GWX 3 but every time i've tried it either crashes during install or crashes when i try to start the game....i'm kinda hoping thats because i'm not patched to 1.4b.
Does anyone have any ideas about what i can do?
Old 12-02-21, 04:22 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You might have a StarFarce (StarForce) DRM protected disk. So you have to run SH3 with the Disk in the DVD-R Optical drive?.. I thought the removal tool was on SubSim Downloads, but I did not find it. So try this

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...15#post1234315

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-21, 04:36 PM   #3
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 439

If that does not work, you down load from here, it's the forth one from the bottom;

https://maikhaas.synology.me:5001/fs...SH3%20PROGRAMS

FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-21, 04:48 PM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olsin View Post
Hi Guys..I've been on land for the last few years but now trying to get my sealegs back.
I've got a stock copy of SH3 that i'm trying to patch to V1.4b.
I've checked SH3.exe and can see that my version is 1.0.0.1
I can also see 2 readme text files in SH3's main directory that are called EMEA.en and EMEA.de so i'm assuming my version of SH3 is the european version.
I've now tried as many different patch files as i can find (even tried the american ones) all to no avail. The error message varies depending on which patch i try.
However the error message for the patch that i'm assuming is the correct one, tells me that the file MissionEngine.dll is an unknown version.
I say i assume i'm using the correct patch as the only european patch i can find is usually labeled DVD while i notice the american patch is found in both DVD and download versions. I didn't install my version, i simply copied it from a dvd and just double click on SH3.exe when i want to play....no install.
So, does anyone have any ideas about what i can do as i desperately want to install GWX 3 but every time i've tried it either crashes during install or crashes when i try to start the game....i'm kinda hoping thats because i'm not patched to 1.4b.
Does anyone have any ideas about what i can do?
Might just be easier to grab a v1.4 copy, from Ubisoft. Is available for $2.50 u.s. cash (not sure what that would be, in your currency... but don't imagine it would be much... )

https://store.ubi.com/us/game/?lang=...&source=detail

But... that's just My thoughts on that.

M. M.
Old 12-02-21, 04:50 PM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

1 other thought is... making sure to NOT follow the base selected install path, which will be either /programs folders... instead, setting up your own install path... well away from that preselected pathway.

M. M.
Old 12-03-21, 05:36 AM   #6
Olsin
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Might just be easier to grab a v1.4 copy, from Ubisoft. Is available for $2.50 u.s. cash (not sure what that would be, in your currency... but don't imagine it would be much... )

https://store.ubi.com/us/game/?lang=...&source=detail

But... that's just My thoughts on that.

M. M.
Thanks, yes that's what i decided to do. Bit of pain jumping through all the hoops but i've got it now and checked that it is indeed V1.4.
One thing i did notice though was that Ubisofts version is 500mb larger than the version i've been using.
I thought that was because my USB version is shy of some stuff but after checking i can see that 1.3gig is the standard size for SH3.
Gotta wonder what Ubisoft has added that brings the install up to 1.8gig. Surely it can't simply be that patch?!
Old 12-03-21, 10:43 AM   #7
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

Hi Olsin SH3 is now classed as abandoneware by Ubisoft

ive sent you a Pm with SH3 Download link from my Mediafire acount
SH3 Installed then zipped up from this sh3 dvd already patched to 1.4
you will need 7zip to unpack zipped SH3 Folder then place folder on drive C:/outside Program/Files x86
This is not a patch its a full working copy of SH3

@Subsim the pride runs deep we lookafter our own
blackswan40 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-21, 11:42 AM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Olsin! after an 8 year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-21, 06:37 AM   #9
Olsin
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
Hi Olsin SH3 is now classed as abandoneware by Ubisoft

ive sent you a Pm with SH3 Download link from my Mediafire acount
SH3 Installed then zipped up from this sh3 dvd already patched to 1.4
you will need 7zip to unpack zipped SH3 Folder then place folder on drive C:/outside Program/Files x86
This is not a patch its a full working copy of SH3

@Subsim the pride runs deep we lookafter our own
I was very motivated to get shipshape as fast as possible, so i brought a copy from Ubisoft. Didn't know it was classed as abandonware now.
I've now got it all up and running with GWX3 and everything seems to work...all apart from torpedo reload. I thought at first that maybe GWX had simply tweaked the code to give a more realistic reload time. But after waiting 2 days (game time) and still not a single eel has reloaded yet, i'm thinking now that somethings not right.
Apart from GWX3 i've got a few mods loaded...
SH5 water for SH3
Improved anti aircraft capability
GWX enhanced damage effects
Does anyone know if these mods can have an adverse effect on torp loading or is it a known bug that a fix can be found for?
Lol...doesn't seem like 8 years ago i last stood in the conning tower. Still, i don't think SH3 ever let's go once you've sampled a good few patrols...especially considering there's still nothing much overall that can match a well modded SH3 (only my subjective opinion).
Old 12-04-21, 07:31 AM   #10
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

Hi Olsin re GWX Torpedo reload times get your weapons officer in your forward torpedo room and also full crew in the forward torpedo room reload will be a lot quicker.

When reloaded external eels do same but external reloads cant happen in rough weather.
blackswan40 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-21, 07:40 AM   #11
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
Hi Olsin re GWX Torpedo reload times get your weapons officer in your forward torpedo room and also full crew in the forward torpedo room reload will be a lot quicker.

When reloaded external eels do same but external reloads cant happen in rough weather.
blackswan40 +1

What blackswan40 said... & in rough weather... have to dive like... 16+ meters, iirc, in order for crew to do reloads, as well.

M. M.
Old 12-04-21, 02:32 PM   #12
Olsin
Bosun

Thanks guys, i sorted the problem out. Embarrassingly, I hadn't secured from silent running.
Old 12-04-21, 03:05 PM   #13
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Thanks guys, i sorted the problem out. Embarrassingly, I hadn't secured from silent running.

Yep.... been there... done that...

Figure everyone has... at some stage or other, along the course of playing SH...

Even to the point of realizing, that Not only Myself, but... blackswan40... missed that salient cause for the pause... of torp 's a reloadin'...

Sorry, My weird, twisted sense of humor, showing up...

Any who... glad ya all sorted out now.

Gute jagd, ihr Himmelhunde.!

M. M.
Old 12-04-21, 03:39 PM   #14
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Lol...doesn't seem like 8 years ago i last stood in the conning tower. Still, i don't think SH3 ever let's go once you've sampled a good few patrols...especially considering there's still nothing much overall that can match a well modded SH3 (only my subjective opinion).

Weellll... since you opened the door up on that...

Had Ubi, properly done their homework, backtracking history better... & NOT been (thanks to bean counters... hate them, with a purple passion... is all I've got to say about that... ) in such a bum rush, SH4... would cover that spectrum. ( come to think of it, every since Ubi got their... paws on the SH lineage... in some form or fashion, has been some... errors in the releases, to date, ending with 5... which, I think wins the most messed up bell ringer award... at least, in My book, at any rate.)

In 3, Ubi, fell asleep at the wheel there... modders have done their level best, to sim damages done to ships via deck gun & torp damage... ( can't say on anti-air damage... aka flak/machine guns damage... unless... I missed the memo somewhere on that... which, I shall admit that may be, an error on My part. Hadn't really considered looking before now. *shouts at My assistant* "Igor... release.... the hounds.! The hunt... is on." )

With 4... it is modeled... somewhat better... even then, still needed mod makers, to polish that up a tad.

Then is sinking mechanics, ship/sub behaviour... stopping on a dime, comes to mind... to taking off faster than... a greased pig. Ugh. AI, being able to see you, as if they had xray radar guided eyes... the list goes on... & on... an with that, shall end here.

Suffice it to say, in a nutshell, 4... would come in as a tie with 3, but... as outlined... had Ubi done their job & not been in such a mad dash frenzy... 4 would have topped 3. Not to say that 3's not good... as in its own right, it is & with the work that has been done with modders... is a vast improvement to it, than when it was 1st released.

So, enjoy SH3, mi ship mate... I know I do.

M. M.