SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-11-19, 08:44 AM   #1
hachiman
Planesman

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0
Default Getting the protactor or even bearing lines to match my relative heading.

Hi

The map tools are one thing I struggle with in this game.

I want to be able to draw a bearing line from my relative bearing and not my true bearing. So in my example picture i have attached i am pointing at true bearing 090°, but relative 000° and have a target bearing at relative 150°.
However when i draw a line from my sub it starts the line from my true bearing and so the line from my sub to the target says 240°.

How can i get the bearing lines i draw or mark to be from my relative bearing and not my true bearing?

Hope this makes sense?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic1.jpg (73.3 KB, 39 views)
Old 10-11-19, 10:13 AM   #2
ChrisPhoenix
Bosun

Downloads: 7

Last symbol on the left side of your tools is to rotate your protractor. Rotate until it matches your course and then you can draw lines from relative bearing. There is no way to get it to label the correct bearing from what i know, but you can use the text tool to name it "150°" manually.

Does that help?
ChrisPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-19, 04:29 PM   #3
hachiman
Planesman

Downloads: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPhoenix View Post
Last symbol on the left side of your tools is to rotate your protractor. Rotate until it matches your course and then you can draw lines from relative bearing. There is no way to get it to label the correct bearing from what i know, but you can use the text tool to name it "150°" manually.

Does that help?
Hi Chris

As soon as i start drawing the line to the bearing the protractor starts spinning and makes wherever my mouse cursor is 000° on the protractor.

How do i get the protractor to lock and not turn as i draw my bearing line?

Thanks
Old 10-11-19, 05:57 PM   #4
Superesse
Seaman

Downloads: 1

The protractor should only rotate if you use the “rotate protactor” tool. Use the line tool instead (shortcut 2).
Superesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-19, 04:48 PM   #5
senjorlossi
Seaman

Downloads: 49

Same with me.

One thing I would really like to have is a maptool that snaps to the heading of my U-Boat allows me to draw a line or distance Marker "x degrees to the right / left and distsnce y". Great for tracking visual contacts.
Old 10-28-19, 10:45 AM   #6
Fanders
Watch

Downloads: 16

I have some hard time with the map tools aswell!

My biggest problem is that I often don't know if the tool is selected or not.
Of course I always finally manage to get this straight, but some overhaul with the "buttons" would be nice!

In the future, it would be nice to actually see the tools you use! Something similar with the Silent Hunter map view.
Fanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-19, 02:26 AM   #7
Fidd
XO

Downloads: 10

My personal opinion is that the nav tools are simply too complex to use. If one reduced the tools to a pencil to mark dots or crosses, eraser, ruler, protractor and the ability to scribble (type) notations, then aside from a pair of dividers and perhaps a slide-rule, nothing more is needed or was available.

This unbelievable profusion of buttons is both over-complicated and clunky to use. Not being unduly critical I think, the game is outstanding in all respects, but as a trained (aviation) navigator, this does seem a less than optimal interface imho
Fidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-19, 07:12 PM   #8
Jacmac
Nub

Downloads: 4

If the target (of the point you want to mark) is bearing 140 from your current heading, use the rotate function on the protractor to set your '0' angle, then turn the rotate OFF. This means draw a line with rotate turned on from the center of your Sub out to where "180" is on your Sub, At this point you should have a line from the center of your Sub out some arbitrary length. Toggle off the protractor rotation. With the rotation turned off, select the Line tool and draw a line from the Sub far enough out that you can center the sub on 140, note that the protractor is still 0 angled from the previous setting. Now draw another line from the top of the last line (140) all the way out to the reciprocal, putting your sub at 320.

Of course you could also have done this in your head, 140+180=320, and just draw a line from the Sub to 320, skipping the 140 line I drew for reference.

Obviously the tools need some work, it should not be necessary to do all of this to set the protractor angle the way you want and draw a line.
Jacmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-19, 08:17 PM   #9
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Jacmac!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-19, 03:56 AM   #10
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachiman View Post
Hi

The map tools are one thing I struggle with in this game.

I want to be able to draw a bearing line from my relative bearing and not my true bearing. So in my example picture i have attached i am pointing at true bearing 090°, but relative 000° and have a target bearing at relative 150°.
However when i draw a line from my sub it starts the line from my true bearing and so the line from my sub to the target says 240°.

How can i get the bearing lines i draw or mark to be from my relative bearing and not my true bearing?

Hope this makes sense?

Thanks
Quote:
How do i get the protractor to lock and not turn as i draw my bearing line?
That is easily do-able. First rotate the protractor mouse cursor. Click the protractor button (left button stack, bottom-most). Click anywhere. (or at the end of the current course line if you need to draw it still further) Drag the line to whichever course your boat is on. (if you have the top-menu button 'Show Angle (A)' on you can see the direction of the line) Or you can enter your course as numbers on the numerical keypad on your keyboard (laptop users might need to press the Fn key in addition to them if they don't have dedicated keys) Any next click will leave a line. Which you don't need for this, so release by pressing escape. (or extend your current course line for however long you want if you don't press Escape)

Now, switch over to line drawing with the proper line button. (leaving protractor mode selected will screw up the course previously set) Click from your current position, or whatever position the plot should be taken from. The protractor image stays fixed in rotation as you drag out the end of the line. You can even enter the relative bearings now with the numerical keypad. After acknowledging the (relative) bearing with Enter you can also key in the range with numerical keypad. If you need to draw a reciprocal bearing (180 degrees backwards) then simply enter the minus-key first, followed by the distance along the bearing line. If you are dragging the cursor, simply move it back across the mouse-cursor center. Acknowledge that with Enter as wel to place the line. The 'show angle' and 'show distance' will indicate the true bearing and distance along the sides of the line. You can write relative bearing with the text tool and 'snap to end' if you need.
Old 11-30-19, 04:15 PM   #11
Jonas Grumby
Watch

Downloads: 123
Default Determining Bearing On Chart

Guys, guys, guys----use the attack scope for all readings and draw the magnetic bearing (bottom attack scope value). No need to use a protractor at all when the machine does it for you.

Have your chart set up beforehand. Turn off protractor. Have angle and distance set to "on". "Snap" to "on". Have the "x" option on the chart set and ready to mark on your chart.
Now take a range and bearing with the attack scope and go to the chart and immediately click on your boat (snap should be on). You now have a point to measure from. Draw a line from your "x" mark on the bearing you just saw out to the distance you just estimated. Now put an "x" or a circle on that point and erase the line you just drew. If the ship was at 345 and range estimated at 4000 then you obviously would draw your line at 345 and out to 4000. Easy. You could teach a monkey to do this.
Repeat every few minutes and you will get a good solution on convoy course.
Maneuvering during this process does not matter. Your heading during this process does not matter.
I'm TommyGuns on Wolfpack and I approve this message.
Jonas Grumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-19, 06:20 PM   #12
VonHoffman
Watch

Downloads: 6

The nav tools are a bit cumbersome.

I found the easiest tools to use are the X and the line tool. Don't really need anything else.

I wish it was possible to free-draw with a pencil rather than needing to type.

Is there a fixed ruler and compass like reality? I had a nav mod for SH3 that did exactly this. It was awesome. I could measure and draw as if using actual plotting instruments.
VonHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-19, 11:04 PM   #13
Fidd
XO

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonHoffman View Post
(snipped)

Is there a fixed ruler and compass like reality? I had a nav mod for SH3 that did exactly this. It was awesome. I could measure and draw as if using actual plotting instruments.
This is exactly what I was driving at. I'm a trained draughtman and pilot, and experienced sub-simmer, and I can't make head nor tail of all the buttons on the map view. I just want to be able to place a ruler or protractor on the map, be able to orient it by simple means and draw lines. Annotating times is a nice feature, but has VonHoffman says, it's terrifically "clunky" to use.
Fidd is offline   Reply With Quote