SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-07-19, 11:11 AM   #241
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

I think that accepts as a given that this was the only way forward once the scope changed. It's not. They could have built and released a title inline with the original scope and then expanded on it. I used Elite as an example of exactly this. Elite is far bigger than it started, and beyond what was originally discussed in the kickstarter, but we've been playing it for 5 years. And there is more to come.
Old 06-08-19, 05:09 AM   #242
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Releasing a game that is effectively "outdated" at release is not a very smart move and basically a waste of resources, since much of it would have to be redone later on as the tools and tech comes available.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-19, 07:48 AM   #243
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

What?

So everything they did at the beginning needs to be redone? Releasing an outdated game? Why would it be outdated?

Their plans include things for which the technology does not yet exist? Doesn't that trouble you? Is it even true?

It's comments like this that explain the acquiescence in a large part of the SC community.

My viewpoints aren't going to change your mind and that's not my intention anyway. But reading comments like this shows there's little point.

If Squadron 42 comes out and isn't a complete mess I will get it. I like space games. But that's years away I reckon.
Old 06-08-19, 08:44 AM   #244
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
Why would it be outdated?
Squadron 42 released in 2014/2015 would be missing a lot that Star Citizen would have later on. It would be an outdated game given what their plans are.

Quote:
Their plans include things for which the technology does not yet exist? Doesn't that trouble you? Is it even true?
Nothing exists until someone invents it. When people say SC is trying to do what hasn't been done before, it's not just a sales speech.
No game has tried to do what they plan to do.

Quote:
It's comments like this that explain the acquiescence in a large part of the SC community.
The SC community can be hostile towards criticism, but it's because the criticism is always the same. "Hahaha, 2014 and it's still not done!!" I can accept criticism of it and I have concerns myself, but when it is the same old crap repeated it gets irritating. It's kinda like when Richard Dawkings stopped debating Creationists; the arguments were always the same debunked crap.

You've shown that you haven't payed much attention to the game, you probably read the Forbes BS article and came here to have a jab at the game. You weren't aware of the number of ships in game at the moment, you weren't aware of how many release times they've met in their roadmap in the past year or so. I have no blind faith in SC, but if you are going to critize it, at least do your research.
Old 06-08-19, 09:20 AM   #245
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

You seem to think that once a game is released it cannot evolve or be added to.

Dismiss me as a Forbes reader if you like, as though I cannot form an opinion without reading a Forbes article. I didn't know which ships were in the game so my points are invalid?

I'll think about picking it up if it's ever released, if I am still alive when that happens, and it isn't the complete mess it could turn out to be. But little sense discussing it when the replies are like yours.

Quote:

Nothing exists until someone invents it.

You don't say.
Old 06-08-19, 09:41 AM   #246
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
You seem to think that once a game is released it cannot evolve or be added to.
This is what I'm talking about when I say you've not done your reseach.

They changed their engine three times so it would suit what is needed. Releasing SQ42 in 2014/2015 would be very different to the multiplayer component which is Star Citizen. That's why it would be outdated. Roberts is making his dream game because he wants to and the tech is there. I've put $100 on it since 2013, that's two AAA games worth and I have already had dozens of hours of fun in it. I like it. You don't have to.
Old 06-17-19, 05:29 AM   #247
McBeck
Admiral

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Releasing a game that is effectively "outdated" at release is not a very smart move and basically a waste of resources, since much of it would have to be redone later on as the tools and tech comes available.
I agree - it will be a first impression and it WILL last.
I doubt No Mans Sky will ever get rid of the first impression it got.

Threadfin,
You stated "I think that accepts as a given that this was the only way forward once the scope changed. It's not."
You are kinda right, I assume that its the best way forward, but I base that on their insight into the development of THIS game is greater than mine. You assume that you have better insight AND its comparable to Elite Dangerous.

Also its so easy to sit in hindsight and state things should have been done different. Fact is that none of us, knows the details about what information was available at that time or what situation the decisions were made in.

This is a really good video, which shows this mechanic:

"I like subcommanders...they dont have time for bull****!"

Proud member of the Subsim army of zombies
Becks website
McBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-19, 09:52 PM   #248
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Old 10-17-19, 01:55 PM   #249
Dowly
Lucky Jack

A slightly deeper look into what all Star Citizen has achieved so far technically by Digital Foundry:

Old 12-31-19, 03:35 PM   #250
McBeck
Admiral

I find the 3.8 to be more crashy and with broken missions, but the game is still expanding rather fast now ...I am still having fun!

Becks website
Old 01-03-20, 02:46 PM   #251
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBeck View Post
I find the 3.8 to be more crashy and with broken missions, but the game is still expanding rather fast now ...I am still having fun!
I think it tells a lot about the game that we haven't had a 'smooth' patch since 3.5, yet it's still very fun to play. I think having space-legs is what it boils down to; being able to walk around the planets, stations and ships just brings so much more to the game, even at this stage, that other space sims are lacking.

Old 01-28-20, 05:34 AM   #252
Kongo Otto
Commodore

Downloads: 203

When I first heared about Chris Roberts and Star Citizen/SQ 42 I was kinda curious but somehow I forgot about it until a few weeks ago when some video popped up in my YouTube recommendations.
TBH, when it is fully released I might give it a try but until that happens I really don't care about all the hype.
Won't get Fallout 76'ed again, that's for sure.
Kongo Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-20, 07:03 PM   #253
McBeck
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo Otto View Post
When I first heared about Chris Roberts and Star Citizen/SQ 42 I was kinda curious but somehow I forgot about it until a few weeks ago when some video popped up in my YouTube recommendations.
TBH, when it is fully released I might give it a try but until that happens I really don't care about all the hype.
Won't get Fallout 76'ed again, that's for sure.
I get your caution and respect you want to wait - but this is even today very far from the whole Fallout 76

Becks website
Old 02-03-20, 06:08 AM   #254
Dowly
Lucky Jack

It's not always easy being a spacetrucker...
Old 02-11-20, 08:22 AM   #255
Dowly
Lucky Jack