SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-02-12, 10:28 AM   #1
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

Default Need help, sensors connecting to env.

As I work on my moonlight mod, adding more expanding light around the moon and water, I also have to deal with the effect of visual sensors. Discussed this some the other forum, but figured all the smart modders would be here, so posting here hoping for help.

It seems a hard task to connect realistic sensors to a realistic env. look at night. I don't want to start playing with sim or sensor files to adjust, rather tweak env.

In testing visuals using TMO 2.5 with no changes, at night the sub AI calls out visuals at about 7-8000 yards, no fog, partial clouds. With my mod as of now, the sub AI spots ship at 10-11,000 yards. So the question is, is that simply too far at night? The only changes in my mod so far are env and scene dat changes.

As for the enemy spotting me, staying narrow with TMO2.5 beginning of the war, I was able to get within 1300 yards of the nearest merchant, 2000 yards to the nearest DD before being spotted. I just loaded TMO2.5 and I understand he toned visuals down, playing TMO2.2 I was getting blasted at much further ranges.

The other issue I hate is how we can clearly see ships our crew cannot. Even though my crew couldn't spot ships, I could clearly make out ships in TMO alone about 10,000 yards away. Not to mention the crew cannot see smoke on the horizon.

Since the earth is flat in the game, using math formula's is really out of the question, but be interesting to know the height of the bridge so I could see how the math works out. The other issue is of course night, how much darkness would limit your view of the horizon.

I'm sure many factors come into play. I can recall many deep sea fishing trips where the moon almost made the ocean glow for miles and we could spot larger boats 5nms with visuals, confirmed by radar.

TMO no changes

More light to TMO leaving colors alone

Here is where I'm at now.

The other issue I'm not sure about is how or if color changes effect sensors. In this SS I have more light, but darker colors, different cloud pattern. It does seem to have some impact on visual ranges, darker is less, although minor. Do darker
clouds/water effect visuals?

For the most part I've got the look I want, getting visual sensors correct is making me want to pull my teeth out...

Other thread with more SS

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...=196108&page=3

Last edited by Armistead; 07-02-12 at 10:44 AM.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-12, 05:03 PM   #2
stanger
Engineer

Downloads: 84
Uploads: 0

I have no experience tweaking sh4 AI and its visual sensors but I just read "RFB Visual Sensors Revised" by Hitman, included with RFB patch from 2010 and he tried to match what the crew can see and what you (the player) can see. Whether he succeeded - I don't know, I'm in the process of switching to RFB, so will find outt in couple of days (or weeks if the weather will remain as it is now, too hot). If you didnt you may want to read it, it could be helpful.
stanger is offline   Reply With Quote