SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-12-07, 10:08 PM   #61
nvdrifter
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I *suppose* I could release another, second version that shakes less violently when depth charges explode closebye. Of course, this wouldn't replace the first version. It would just give players who get motion sickness a second choice. What does everyone think about this? Opinions please.
Old 01-13-07, 12:02 AM   #62
rascal101
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 200
Uploads: 0
Default I got the shakes

So far I havnt been too badly shaken so I have nothing to gripe about, though I recon the shakes could be a bit slower, lets not forget the boats weigh hundreds of tons and are full of water and are surrounded by water, they would be affected by underwater shock waves but not with such speedy shakes.

I think the new version fixed the problem when you first changed to a new station youd shake about for a while, that seems to be fixed.

Just wondering if you can add to the mod in any way with some of the lights flashing on and off or sparking. Thought this might add a bit of realism for those of us who want to literally **** our pants when being depth charged.

R
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdrifter
I *suppose* I could release another, second version that shakes less violently when depth charges explode closebye. Of course, this wouldn't replace the first version. It would just give players who get motion sickness a second choice. What does everyone think about this? Opinions please.
rascal101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 12:51 AM   #63
Tikigod
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 28

Here is video with depth charge shakes...It seems like they are fast jolts that stop pretty quickly....I always thought the swaying you get with sh3 or any of the mods was pretty unrealistic for underwater. on the surface in the air it should do the swaying but, not underwater once the uboat is locked into the pressure surrounded environment.

http://uboat.net/special/videos/file...lle_en_mer.mov
Tikigod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 01:06 AM   #64
Vikinger
Captain

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 6

Quote:
I would really like to have a mod like that.

I tryed out the one you have released and i love it, but i cant use it coz it gives me to much motion sickness.

I nearly throwed up on my keyboard when i got 10 wasserbombs on my head
Vikinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 01:31 AM   #65
nvdrifter
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikinger
Quote:
I would really like to have a mod like that.

I tryed out the one you have released and i love it, but i cant use it coz it gives me to much motion sickness.

I nearly throwed up on my keyboard when i got 10 wasserbombs on my head
Vikinger, no need to worry. I am working on a less shaking version also, and it will be released.
Old 01-13-07, 01:39 AM   #66
nvdrifter
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikigod
Here is video with depth charge shakes...It seems like they are fast jolts that stop pretty quickly....I always thought the swaying you get with sh3 or any of the mods was pretty unrealistic for underwater. on the surface in the air it should do the swaying but, not underwater once the uboat is locked into the pressure surrounded environment.

http://uboat.net/special/videos/file...lle_en_mer.mov
Thanks for the video. I did notice the slight shaking in the video. I'm not sure how close those explosions were. But I totally agree with the back and forth swaying motion. In the next version, thought about lessening the slow swaying motion of the boat when being depth charged, but it would also make the boat sway less on the surface in the waves. I'm not sure how people feel about this comproimise.
Old 01-13-07, 02:41 AM   #67
nvdrifter
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

After further testing, with the next release of Depth Charge Shake I have decided to include the option that greatly reduces u-boat rolling motion. This will make less rolling on the surface, but seems much more realistic underwater when being depth charged.
Old 01-13-07, 06:55 AM   #68
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi nvdrifter,

this mod sounds really great! I have just one question, will there also be a version for Non-GWX users? That would be very nice. I don't use GWX and I would really like to test the mod.

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 09:03 AM   #69
nvdrifter
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1
Hi nvdrifter,

this mod sounds really great! I have just one question, will there also be a version for Non-GWX users? That would be very nice. I don't use GWX and I would really like to test the mod.

Cheers, LGN1
Ahoy LGN1.

You can still try Depth Charge Shake even if you don't have GWX installed. It will probably still work ok. All it does changes is a few camera settings and bomb/depth charge impulse radiuses. Just be sure to back up your original files first before replacing.

**Edit** V1.03 does include modded GWX submarine files. Please be aware of this**

Last edited by nvdrifter; 01-13-07 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-13-07, 09:19 AM   #70
Phoenix3000
Weps

Downloads: 49

@nvdrifter - great work on the mod mate - certainly adds more atmosphere when being hunted.

Have to admt I do agree with some of the other comments about it shaking too much. Last night I got several direct hits from DC's in a type VIIC - smashing the tower, flak and deck guns, knocking out the bow tubes and destroying one of the props - during the attacks the screen almost flipped at one point - it was shaking around that much....

So perhaps it could be toned down a tad - its great as it is for missed DC's and fairly close by explosions, but on target its definitely one to reach for the sick bag for!

Just one last thing - you mention in the new version you may "slow swaying motion of the boat when being depth charged, but it would also make the boat sway less on the surface in the waves."

Does that mean the natural rolling and pitching motion that has been included in the GWX mod when travelling on the surface? - Personally I like to see the boat pitching and rolling, particularly in heavy seas, thats the way it was.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

Px3000
Phoenix3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 09:25 AM   #71
HEMISENT
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 135

Before I installed this mod I was getting nothing but heavy seas and very aggressive AI DC'ing the crap out of me constantly. Now, with the mod installed all I experience are calm seas, gentle winds and an enemy that would prefer to be freakin pen pals. You'd think that I was in command of The Love Boat instead of a VIIC.

Drifter, does your mod mess with the enemy AI behaviour and the weather files.
Old 01-13-07, 09:31 AM   #72
nvdrifter
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix3000
@nvdrifter - great work on the mod mate - certainly adds more atmosphere when being hunted.

Have to admt I do agree with some of the other comments about it shaking too much. Last night I got several direct hits from DC's in a type VIIC - smashing the tower, flak and deck guns, knocking out the bow tubes and destroying one of the props - during the attacks the screen almost flipped at one point - it was shaking around that much....

So perhaps it could be toned down a tad - its great as it is for missed DC's and fairly close by explosions, but on target its definitely one to reach for the sick bag for!

Just one last thing - you mention in the new version you may "slow swaying motion of the boat when being depth charged, but it would also make the boat sway less on the surface in the waves."

Does that mean the natural rolling and pitching motion that has been included in the GWX mod when travelling on the surface? - Personally I like to see the boat pitching and rolling, particularly in heavy seas, thats the way it was.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

Px3000
Hi PX3000.

Yes, I understand that many players feel that the shaking is just too much. I have tested a less shaking version and it works very well.

As far as the slow, side to side rolling motion on the surface... unfortunately that same rolling motion also happens under the water when being depth charged- which is way too much in my opinion. There is no way to separate the two. The less shaking motion version I have successfully tested works really well with the less rolling motion (surface and submerged). It's hard to explain here the settings I changed, but it was very necessary to tone down the rolling motion to get the right underwater depth charge effect. Modding SH3 is always about compromises, because we don't have access to the game code. I hope everyone understands this.
Old 01-13-07, 09:32 AM   #73
nvdrifter
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMISENT
Before I installed this mod I was getting nothing but heavy seas and very aggressive AI DC'ing the crap out of me constantly. Now, with the mod installed all I experience are calm seas, gentle winds and an enemy that would prefer to be freakin pen pals. You'd think that I was in command of The Love Boat instead of a VIIC.

Drifter, does your mod mess with the enemy AI behaviour and the weather files.
Lol. :rotfl:No, it doesn't change those things. Maybe you are just lucky... or unlucky.
Old 01-13-07, 10:40 AM   #74
Vikinger
Captain

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 6

Quote:

Yes, I understand that many players feel that the shaking is just too much. I have tested a less shaking version and it works very well.

Modding SH3 is always about compromises, because we don't have access to the game code. I hope everyone understands this.
Thx for making a less shaky mod

And i know the feeling about compromis. Iam trying to make a damage texture but its a darn hard to make it look good both as torpedo damage and shell damage coz they share same texture.

I have to choose, either good looking torpedo damage or shell damage.

So i go for the torpedo but the shell damage look crap
Vikinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 11:50 AM   #75
nvdrifter
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

**Released** Depth Charge Shake v1.03 for use with GWX

Changes/ fixes in v1.03:

A) There are now 3 different strengths of depth charge blast shaking effects-

I made 3 different strengths to try and please a larger audience of players. There is a difference between each strength version. Not a huge difference, but some difference. Only install one version at a time. Be carfeful when installing with JSGME. I have abandoned the extreme shaking effects in v1.02 due to the fact that it was making some players sick.

B) Much less u-boat side to side rolling action-

This was done to get the right depth charge shaking effect. Please be aware that it does also tone down the rolling action while cruising on the surface. There was no way to avoid this, as the u-boat will roll the same whether on the surface or submerged. If you really don't want to lose the side to side surface rolling action, then you can delete the submarine folder in Depth Charge Shake v1.03 before installing. But if you decide to do this, please be aware that the interior cameras may act strange when the heavy side to side rolling motion starts.

This really will be the last version release for a while. I need a break from modding and actually play the game. Thanks for all the feedback and opinions everyone. I hope everyone enjoys it.

Download here:

http://files.filefront.com//;6525634;;/