SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-17-20, 04:39 AM   #1
ArnoldR
Medic

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default New & realistic Liberty ship

Hello every one,

I've modeled a Liberty ship from detailed technical plans (actually my first attempt in modeling a ship...), and I think it will be far better than the SH3 or even the SH5 model... What do you think? Maybe it's too much and unusefully detailed... But as this ship was built in a very huge number by the USA and was sailing all over the seas, I though it was necessary to give a decent model to the game...

ArnoldR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-20, 01:04 PM   #2
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Downloads: 259
Uploads: 51

Looks fantastic! I hope we can have this beauty soon as a mod!!! Very good work!

CapZap
Old 08-17-20, 01:37 PM   #3
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 846

I know at least two people, who do it:

http://brat01.mybb.by/viewtopic.php?id=197&p=20#p95717

https://kendras-sh3-modding.forumgam...p-sh5-model#68
Old 08-17-20, 03:29 PM   #4
ArnoldR
Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061 View Post
I know at least two people, who do it:
First one is the Victory ship model from Wargaming (World of Warships).

Second one : it's the forum of the original author of this ship. I'm writting for him, since his subsim account has been blocked without any reason, and his letters were never answered by the admins. I'm not stealing his work, but speaking in his name. The best proof is that the previews you can see here are different from those posted on his forum.
Old 08-18-20, 06:07 AM   #5
ArnoldR
Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061 View Post
You gave a wrong link. That's not the model from SH5 (which is very ugly, but still far better than the SH3 model...) but a brand new model made from scratch: https://kendras-sh3-modding.forumgam...p-from-scratch

Last edited by ArnoldR; 08-20-20 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-19-20, 09:56 PM   #6
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Good job. The proportions look correct for a ship of 400+ feet long and 7100 GRT. The Liberties were large for their time, but small compared to modern merchants.

And I like how you have the derricks all folded down. One of my HUGE pet peeves with merchant ship models in submarine games is that the derricks/cargo booms are always poking in every direction. In real life, WWII merchant ships almost kept the cargo handling gear fully up or fully down when they were at sea (to avoid damaging the gear or deck cargo). This has been confirmed by a WWII veteran convoy sailor who spoke to one of my favorite model makers.

Hopefully the final version will have some smudges of rust & oil on the hull, just so it's not too factory fresh.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-20, 04:20 AM   #7
ArnoldR
Medic

Icon14

Thank you for your comment. I like how you point out interesting details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Good job. The proportions look correct for a ship of 400+ feet long and 7100 GRT. The Liberties were large for their time, but small compared to modern merchants.
I made this model only with detailed technical plans (I even corrected some small errors on these plans...), so the ship's proportions are 100% accurate!

Quote:
And I like how you have the derricks all folded down. One of my HUGE pet peeves with merchant ship models in submarine games is that the derricks/cargo booms are always poking in every direction. In real life, WWII merchant ships almost kept the cargo handling gear fully up or fully down when they were at sea (to avoid damaging the gear or deck cargo). This has been confirmed by a WWII veteran convoy sailor who spoke to one of my favorite model makers.
Indeed, this is a detail that I took into account. I grabbed a lot of historical photographies of the ship, and I noticed that the booms are deployed only when the ship is docked in order to unload/load cargo. While at sea, the booms are resting down if the deck is clear, else they are in vertical position, attached to the mast in order to make space for extra cargo on the open deck. I plan to add the option to choose one of these 3 configurations.

Quote:
Hopefully the final version will have some smudges of rust & oil on the hull, just so it's not too factory fresh.
Yes, my screenshot is showing the model in Wings3D without any texture. I plan to create several textures with several levels of rust. I don't like clean textures. And rust on ships is in the direct spirit of SH3!!!!

But the bad point is that I'm not a texturer, and I don't think to be able to create nice textures myself...

Else, what do you think about the poly count: 66.000 triangles for now...?