SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-27-21, 10:05 PM   #1
Jetguy06
Seaman

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0
Default Can't Hit Anything Anymore

Hey fellow captains!! I'm back to SH4 after a computer rebuild, and FINALLY getting around to putting LAA on my installation (*knock on wood* no CTDs so far).

The problem I'm having now is that my torps aren't hitting anything. My solutions are all jacked up. Here's my JSGME mods list:

1 Trigger Maru Overhaul 2-5 (grayed out)
1 TMO 25 Small Patch (grayed out)
RSDC TMO V502 (grayed out)
RSDC V5xx Patch1
1.5 Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for RSRDCv502 (grayed out)
1.5 OTC US Radar from Start for RSRDCv502 (grayed out)
1.5 OTC Realistic Scopes for 8.5 to 4.8 RSRDCv502
Improved Ship Physics 2.6 TMO RSRDC OTC
3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1360x)
Bigger Better Protractors

Mods that say "Grayed Out" are light gray in my Activated Mods list. I'm hoping that doesn't mean there are conflicts.

My biggest problem seems to be with range. The recognition manual says to take stadimeter range from the funnel of most ships, but when I do that, the range gathered is pretty far from the actual range. Even ignoring that and measuring from the top of the masts doesn't give me accurate range either, though it's closer than the Funnel method.

My solution info on the position keeper on the left is all wrong. The red lines on the outer and inner rings for my ship at the bottom and the enemy ship at the top simply will not line up. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong anymore. Can anyone help?

Thanks!!
Jetguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 01:16 AM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetguy06 View Post
Hey fellow captains!! I'm back to SH4 after a computer rebuild, and FINALLY getting around to putting LAA on my installation (*knock on wood* no CTDs so far).

The problem I'm having now is that my torps aren't hitting anything. My solutions are all jacked up. Here's my JSGME mods list:

1 Trigger Maru Overhaul 2-5 (grayed out)
1 TMO 25 Small Patch (grayed out)
RSDC TMO V502 (grayed out)
RSDC V5xx Patch1
1.5 Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for RSRDCv502 (grayed out)
1.5 OTC US Radar from Start for RSRDCv502 (grayed out)

Mods that say "Grayed Out" are light gray in my Activated Mods list. I'm hoping that doesn't mean there are conflicts.

My biggest problem seems to be with range. The recognition manual says to take stadimeter range from the funnel of most ships, but when I do that, the range gathered is pretty far from the actual range. Even ignoring that and measuring from the top of the masts doesn't give me accurate range either, though it's closer than the Funnel method.

My solution info on the position keeper on the left is all wrong. The red lines on the outer and inner rings for my ship at the bottom and the enemy ship at the top simply will not line up. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong anymore. Can anyone help?

Thanks!!
To begin with... conflicts is more in line with using mods that aren't designed to work with other mods. or mod sets... or not designed for the SH4 version you have. Some mods are designed for SH4 v 1.4 & other mods are designed for SH4 v 1.5 & the 2 different mods, don't mix or play well together. It's important to make sure when you grab mods, again.. that they are for the correct version of SH4 you have. There are mods that are designed to be able to be used for both versions, but.. I think those kind are rare...

As for the graying out of mods, in your list...

1 Trigger Maru Overhaul 2-5 (grayed out, after TMO patch was activated...)
1 TMO 25 Small Patch (grayed out, after RSDC TMO V502 was activated...)
RSDC TMO V502 (grayed out, after RSRDC patch, was activated...)
RSDC V5xx Patch1
1.5 Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for RSRDCv502 (grayed out, after 1.5 OTC US Radar from Start for RSRDCv502, was activated...)
1.5 OTC US Radar from Start for RSRDCv502 (grayed out, after 1.5 OTC Realistic Scopes for 8.5 to 4.8 RSRDCv502, activated...)

This graying out of mods in the list, is pretty much a normal function & NOT something to be stressed about or worried about.

As for the trouble with the torps... am not sure on what could be the cause of that.. & on that note, am going to bow out & let more... knowledgeable simmers take on that aspect of your post here.

I do hope what I was able to reply on, was helpful...

Fair winds, smooth seas... & Good huntin'.

M. M.

Old 07-28-21, 02:30 PM   #3
Jetguy06
Seaman

Thanks. Good to know I don't have to worry about conflicting mods.

As for the targeting issue, once I get home from work I may reinstall OBS, and start recording once I come across another ship, then post it to YouTube and link it here so everyone can see what's happening.
Old 07-30-21, 08:51 PM   #4
Jetguy06
Seaman

So, just an update on the situation... I've been having alot more success using the Dick O'kane method. Five ships sunk on my last patrol, and two sunk so far on this one (should have been three, but I screwed my solution somehow up and had to let him go).

There is another problem I forgot to mention earlier that is still plaguing me, though. When at periscope depth at night, enemy ships have to get RIDICULOUSLY close, as in, within 5,000-6,000 yards or so for my crew to "see" him. It makes taking speed measurements in the map a race against the clock. This happens on clear nights with no fog and no waves as well, and even with a bright moon out. What's happening here? It never used to be this difficult for my crew to spot ships at night through the periscope.

Thanks!!
Old 07-30-21, 10:24 PM   #5
Strykr
Mate

Downloads: 1076

As far as night attacks....
I spend a lot of time adjusting my monitor settings, as well as disabling
Post Process Filters and adjusting Gamma.
If my crew spots a contact, and I can't see it.... I lighten things up.
Strykr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 10:41 PM   #6
Jetguy06
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykr View Post
As far as night attacks....
I spend a lot of time adjusting my monitor settings, as well as disabling
Post Process Filters and adjusting Gamma.
If my crew spots a contact, and I can't see it.... I lighten things up.
I've got the opposite problem. I can see the ship clear as day on my monitor with default gamma and other settings. It's my crew who don't see the ship until the very last minute, making accurate speed calculations on the map due to the lack of a contact dot very difficult
Old 07-31-21, 08:45 AM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Have you by chance tried the Observation Periscope (try using the zoom also), and attempted a lock on the target anyway? The lock may not stay long, but you could try to hit "Identify Target" real quick, and see if your crew can help a bit sooner. You do have to move to the NavMap rather quickly most times, else the "dot" (if it shows) disappears on you...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 10:57 AM   #8
Jetguy06
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Have you by chance tried the Observation Periscope (try using the zoom also), and attempted a lock on the target anyway? The lock may not stay long, but you could try to hit "Identify Target" real quick, and see if your crew can help a bit sooner. You do have to move to the NavMap rather quickly most times, else the "dot" (if it shows) disappears on you...
Yeah, I've tried using the observation scope numerous times, but the spotting problem remains. Plus, if there's anything more than a ripple on the water, the observation scope tends to get washed underwater while the attack scope stays above the waves. And the crew can't identify the ship until they "see" it, which as I said doesn't happen until it's really close.
Old 07-31-21, 11:19 AM   #9
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 810

Default deph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetguy06 View Post
Yeah, I've tried using the observation scope numerous times, but the spotting problem remains. Plus, if there's anything more than a ripple on the water, the observation scope tends to get washed underwater while the attack scope stays above the waves. And the crew can't identify the ship until they "see" it, which as I said doesn't happen until it's really close.
Obs scope

in the boat

you just have to define the depth in order to have an obptimal view .. it is obvious not
in addition by 5 / s it works very well here .. if the sea is agitated redefine the depth .. be a real commander not an assist by AI ... in the games .. you will have more fun ... you can believe me ... or go back to the console maybe ... ... ...
cordially KM_U669

Last edited by Kal_Maximus_U669; 07-31-21 at 11:32 AM.
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote