SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-01-21, 05:15 PM   #1
nik112
Captain

Downloads: 367
Uploads: 0
Default ctd

Hi captains
After a long time with no probs, finally got one. Am in AD41 between Orkneys and Shetland at 19400913 about 10.00 and i want to pass but getting ctd.
I think that a ship its responsible for this because tried 4-5 times to pass through and everytime getting this ctd

Can somebody show me a way to find wich ship causes that?
Playing with GWX 3.0+SH3 Commander +mods

ps i opened scr entered date at search/find got results but that was capital ships
i don't know how to search in mission editor

cheers
nik112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-21, 05:54 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

With GWX, run the Museum and go through the various nations - which it will take a while... if you CTD in the Museum with GWX, then you have found a problem ship. It seems to me though, that if you haven't added anything to GWX, there won't be a crash there, but it has been a while since I ran the Museum there. It does take quite a while to load... Don't forget that you should be running the mod with the 4Gig Patch enabled.

Easier to do might be to download TDW's SH Validator, loading the SH3 mode and run that. Also of use, though a little more difficult to use is Hebe Vollmaus's mySH3-Tool, but once you get the cfg file set correctly, it will find things wrong that you never knew existed in the game... seriously. Both good tools for trouble-shooting - especially for the modders!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-21, 10:48 PM   #3
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 2

Can't remember exactly what I did when I had this happen, but I will give the best summary I can.

I was having a repeating ctd around Norway on the way out of Wilhelmshaven.

Ran the SCR in the mission editor around the date looking close into the area and found a convoy that ran nearby out of Stavanger(?).

Found the convoy using some search functions in the scr so that I could edit it. In this case it spawned some destroyers from something in my soup called the Destroyer Class Mod. A series of destroyers that are labeled A&B, C&D, etc. Now I had that mod for a real long time, but I never saw the ships show up. So I started thinking that there may be something wrong with them causing the ctd.

The convoy had 5 DD's, all of which were called from that mod, except the lead one.

Eliminated all but the lead one, and it ran fine.

Added one of the others in and it ran, but only the lead DD appeared. The one I added in was not there. Added the others in and ran it again, but found a way to approach at low TC. Only the lead DD spawned.

Changed the DD's to be like the lead one and they all spawned.

I figured out that I had never updated the file that lists the titles of the ships that appear on the scope/UZO screen when you ID the ship, EnglishNames.cfg. I guess it crashed if there was too many that spawned at high TC.

I guess it also explains why there were missing DD's on one side of the convoy sometimes (that weren't related to effects built in to simulate the convoys having been attacked before I found them).

I have had this mod on the game for ~10 years and never knew it wasn't working right and causing ctds.

Fixed it about a year ago. No ctds at all since.
rudewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote