SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-29-19, 04:16 AM   #1
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Position Keeper?

Help me please, I want to control (toggle) the Position Keeper with a keystroke; the mouse is awkward for me.

I've added or edited keystrokes for several SH4 features already. It's not difficult if one locates and edits the proper command in the Command file, which is located in data/cfg/command.

I've added keystrokes for Follow Sound Contact, Report Sound Contact, Depth Under Keel, Report Weather, toggle Radar views, On Radar, OFF Radar, Report Nearest Visual Contact, Radar Depth, Man the AA Guns and Deck Guns, Return to Course, toggle Battle Stations, view Attack Map, toggle TDC On/OFF.

The problem is I cannot find the correct command in the command file that operates the Position Keeper button. I have SH4 v1.5 and use Webster's GFO mod.

Please review this file and give me some suggestions.
Old 08-07-19, 05:24 AM   #2
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Update

I've had a lot of reads but no response to date.

I still want to toggle the Position Keeper with a Keystroke but haven't yet found a solution. The little red button and the mouse pointer seem a little awkward to me.

Part of the problem seems to be with the cfg/commands file, which I've been using to add or edit keystrokes, comes directly from SH3, and the Position Keeper did not exist in SH3. Thus, other methods have been used to add the Position Keeper to SH4.

I found one dds file: Position Keeper_Torpedo Solution-Tubes within this path: data/menu/Gui/layout/.... but I've not dealt with dds files yet and not sure it's the solution.

Noteworthy, I found a way to turn the TDC on & off. SH3 has a small button if I recall but SH4 presents no method at all. Locate [Cmd 131] in the cfg/commands file and add a keystroke. I use "CTRL F" just because I'd previously set up View Attack Map with "F" since SH4 presented no keystroke to bring up the Attack Map.

I'd appreciate anyone who wishes to look into this Position Keeper keystroke toggle for me.
Old 08-08-19, 04:07 PM   #3
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

I suspect the reason nobody has responded is that nobody knows the answer. It would get real tedious real fast if everyone who read a post responded "I don't know" when they don't know the answer.

I don't know either, but I can tell you a .dds extension is an image file, like .jpg or .tga, so there's no point fiddling with that unless you want to edit a texture.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 04:57 PM   #4
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default thanks for reply

Sniper, thanks for reply. You're 100% correct. I assume no one knows the answer.

I googled dds and figured them to be image files when I read they could be opened with GIMP and other photo editing tools.

I'm hoping someone else, like me, would want a keystroke to toggle Position Keeper. I tried just about every conceivable, unused [cmd] in the commands file and nothing works. Commands file predates SH4 and the Position Keeper; I'd love to know how devs made it toggle on and off. I figure there's a toggle command behind the mouse click somewhere?
Old 08-08-19, 11:43 PM   #5
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

No idea. Logically you would think there should be, there's an alternate keystroke for practically everything else that's clickable. Personally, I rarely use the PK, since I always have map contacts on I usually just cheat and look at the icons on the map. When I do use it I just click the button, never had a problem with the mouse cursor. I don't even know most of the alternate keystrokes since I only use a few.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-19, 07:40 AM   #6
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default torpedo speed dial

I'm also stumped on creating a keystroke for the torpedo speed dial. [cmd328] in the cfg/commands file will change the speed from fast to slow but not slow to fast, which is the command most needed since torpedo speed is always preset to slow.

Or, I could live without a keystroke if I could determine a way to always have torpedoes preset to fast instead of slow.

I had limited success with a change to the configuration of [dial1] in the cfg/dials file. I could get the fast torpedo to be represented by the slow position on the speed dial and the slow torpedo to the fast position. I have a problem with the mis-marked dial so I did no further testing of this method.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 08-09-19, 09:24 AM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If I am remembering correctly (we have a 50-50 chance ), there is no "hook" for the PK anywhere that a modder can reach out and touch. The torpedo speed settings are even deeper in the recesses of the gray matter behind the eyes... the memory banks' battery is running low. Must - have - more - caffiene!...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote