SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-08-19, 02:16 PM   #1
Sinkem Awl
Swabbie

Downloads: 275
Uploads: 0
Icon9 chapter 3: My Run In With The Flying Dutchman

This happened to me last night: On this dark & stormy night late in my patrol. I had 3 torpedo's left. One in the stern tube & two in the bow. I was cruising along the SE coast of England. Of a sudden the look out spots a large merchant. Note that I do almost all of my fighting at night due to the short days around the North Sea in December. Therefor I also do most of my fighting on the surface. Lowe & behold indeed a large merchant lurking about, about 4700 m off. So being the scoundrel I am and wishing to conserve my bow shots I positioned myself for a nice 900 m stern shot. Knowing that Sometimes (most) it takes two to down a LARGE merchant I immediately went hard over to bring the bow tubes to bear. About half way through the turn the fired shot hits the merch. No mistaking a hit as explosion & flames visible. Before I can finish my turn he goes 90' left turn and just fades away. At 6 knots?!? I tried a box search, never to sight him again. During my search the event camera shows what APPEARS to be this (or another?!?) ship sinking. During this thing I did not shoot at another ship within a reasonable time or distance. There was no red icon showing a sunk ship. Nor did the game give me credit for one. If the camera indeed did show it sinking why no indicator or credit? If not WHAT DID it show? How did it turn faster than me and how did it just fad away WELL within visibility range? What The Hell? Over.... .... signed Sinkem Awl... P.S. over 70,000 tons this (first w/new commander) patrol. I like to get up close & gun those little ****heads that like to zigzag. It saves the fish for bigger & easier targets.

Last edited by Sinkem Awl; 11-08-19 at 02:34 PM.
Sinkem Awl is offline   Reply With Quote