SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-23-19, 04:43 PM   #1
IcyWaters
Mate

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
Default While waiting for Uboat....

.... what's the best Silent Hunter game out there?

I've just stumbled across this game from my YouTube recommendations and it got me interested in shooting some torps again! I do believe I have SH3, SH4, and SH5 in some form or another so I have access to any SH you can recommend. However, I've only really played SH3 to a great extent years and years and years ago when it first came out and I basically just got SH4 and SH5 out of love for SH3 and the "I'll play this game someday" mentality; I never really got around to playing SH4 or SH5 to any great extent.

With that intro out of the way, what I'm looking for is a good sim where tactics and accuracy is rewarded. Eye candy is a secondary concern, although appreciated. I loved SH3 where I started out with a basic sub and eventually got better submarines and better gear as the war went on. I also loved being able to manually target ships and get good enough that I can hit a specific spot on the ship. I also remember that I could set magnetic or impact, and set the depth at which the torp would go at; the last bit seems missing on Uboat at the moment.

So --- any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

ps. sorry for posting in this forum but since Uboat is what rekindled this fire, I thought it would be fitting to post here as it probably brings fans from the different versions of SH together.

pps. I have bought Uboat and will be playing it. If I'm lucky, it'll take up all of my time and I won't need the recommendations here, but if not, or it doesn't play the way I like, I don't want to be left hanging and then lose interest in sub sims again.

IcyWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-19, 10:23 PM   #2
Hambone307
Planesman

Downloads: 93

I started out on SH3 when the rabbit hole that is youtube led me there one day. I did the same as you and picked up 4 and 5. Never really got much time into SH5, but I did get quite a bit into SH4. I would recommend you play that one for a bit. A few mega mods for it also add to the gameplay like Trigger Maru Overhaul and Real Fleet Boat.

TMO increased the difficulty quite a bit (if you really want to challenge yourself)
RFB changes the UI a bit from what I remember and changes gameplay.

Add in some of the other mods that make boat handling more "realistic" and you have plenty to work with.

Mods aside, gameplay was quite fun. You can start out in the antiquated S boats in Manila at the start of the war and progress up to the Balao if you live that long. Targets are primarily merchant shipping which can be hard to find at times. Get used to staring at the map quite a bit while plotting possible patrol routes. Jap ASW isnt really a threat early on in the war, especially if you use RFB (it adds some historical depth setting errors of depth charges early war).

Give SH4 a shot and see how you like it. That and SH3 are my all time favorite subsims.
Old 07-29-19, 10:07 AM   #3
abaileyatd
Sailor man

Downloads: 45

Ive played every Silent Hunter and they were all awesome in their time and way. SH3 is a classic of course where you can't go wrong and SH4 is great if you need that fleet boat fix, but personally nothing compares to SH5 and The Wolves of Steel for me in terms of atmosphere, realism and immersion. I never once bothered playing stock SH5, but my experience with TWOS installed has only been stable and fantastic. SH5's main limitation to me is that you are stuck with only the type VII (type II and IX are my favorites go figure) but overall everything else makes it worthwhile to me. Whether you go with SH3, 4 or 5, you'll need a megamod to take full advantage and have the best experience.
abaileyatd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-19, 01:24 PM   #4
IcyWaters
Mate

Gave Uboat a good try and just making it past the tutorial was painful so I'll give it a pass until it matures a bit more.

I don't think I like the Pacific theatre so SH4 is out. Do you really only have one Uboat type in SH5? If so, then that'll be out for me as well as I like the idea of progression not only in tech upgrades but sub upgrades as well.

Now to see if I can really live with SH3 graphics.
Old 08-04-19, 02:47 PM   #5
captainadccdacaptain
Gunner

Downloads: 49

Well SH4 has a Uboat missions addon, which I think has ix and xxi type uboats
captainadccdacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-19, 05:16 PM   #6
IcyWaters
Mate

Thanks for that but I'm not a big fan of the Pacific theatre for some reason, so that makes SH4 a pass for me for now.
Old 08-06-19, 10:37 PM   #7
Slimeball
Swabbie

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyWaters View Post
Thanks for that but I'm not a big fan of the Pacific theatre for some reason, so that makes SH4 a pass for me for now.

That's how I felt too, but decided to give SH4 a try. After playing not only did I enjoy the game play, but I also found a real interest in the Pacific theater's history.
Slimeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-19, 06:44 PM   #8
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Welcome to SUBSIM SB

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-19, 06:55 PM   #9
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyWaters View Post
Gave Uboat a good try and just making it past the tutorial was painful so I'll give it a pass until it matures a bit more.

If you have not already done so, check out this link:

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-19, 11:07 PM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Slimeball!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 05:36 AM   #11
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Slimeball
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

Highly recommended OM+OMEGU by Fifi SH4 German campaigns with superb graphics with all boat types available.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=240804

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 04:23 PM   #12
IcyWaters
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDedPoet View Post
If you have not already done so, check out this link:
I did watch that video to figure out why I'd get stuck on certain parts of the tutorial.