SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Do we need a SMDP (Standardized Mission Design Procedure)
YES - would make using user created missions more usable 4 50.00%
NO - I like my missions the way they are!! 4 50.00%
DON'T CARE - I only use the UBI official missions 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-07, 10:14 PM   #1
rknhorse
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Mission Creation Standardization

Hello Fello SH4 SH3 Mission makers.
I would like to suggest recommend a standard Mission Creators Procedure to make it easier for the mission users to download and add to there mission database:

First off I think it would be easier if we used a standardized mission name, file name,
this would require that there be a mission list administrator to keep the numbering system in order and to insure all required files are included in the mission files.. why do we need a standard numbering and file system (even the files themselves are sometimes based on the mission number (example: MP13 TokyoHarbor.tsr
file includes the following notice the Mission Title its nice to see all the same. more importantly look at the Objectives (MP13_Obj01 and 02)

---------------------MP13 TokyoHarbor.tsr-----------------
[Text]
RallyPoint=Job Well done!
MissionBriefing=Date: 1/1944|Time:07:30|Place: Tokyo Bay|Weather: Good|Equipment: Gato Class||||Sneak into Tokyo Bay and wreak as much hovac as possible.||You must get safely back out to rally point.
MissionTitle=TokyoHarbor|
SinkTonnage=You've done enough damage. Exit harbour to rally point.
MP13_Obj01=MP13_Obj01
MP13_Obj02=MP13_Obj02
------------------------end-MP13 TokyoHarbor.tsr-------------------

now if we could use a flag or variable such as %a %1 to use in these files the mission numbers may not be important but It looks like they are. Besides that assigned mission numbers would make it so much easier to install the missions (or maybe JSGME can add on the fly missions to the MOD gui)
It is my believe that if when you are playing a multimission that if all players have the same mission installed on there systems (exactly the same mission same name, same folder, no modifications the mission would not have to be uploaded to the multimission players computer and would therefore run faster and with less disconnections)
I am pretty sure that this is the way it works and would make the game more reliable so this in itself I think would cause us all to apply and abide by a Standard Set of rules/procedures for mission creation and distribution ( maybe even include a file saying this is a BFG certified mission file so peeps have a warm fuzzy feeling about the missions they download BFGcertifiedMP01.txt, BFGcertifiedMP02.txt something like that something simple yet effective.. Something that we can do for missions that JSGME does for Mods

MultiPLAYER missions
---------------------------

MP09 StormySeas.zip <<<-- zip,7z, Rar
archive should include all of the following files and all should be named using the archives name:
MP09 StormySeas.mis
MP09 StormySeas.tsr
MP09 StormySeasReadMe.txt
MP09 StormySeas.tga

the underscores_ should be Blank spaces, and spaces kept to a minimum (SM01 BattleOfMidway.mis) vice (SM01 Battle of Midway.mis) if mission is a newer version please use SM01 BattleOfMidway1.mis, SM01 BattleOfMidway2.mis, SM01 BattleOfMidwayA.mis, SM01 BattleOfMidwayB.mis.. please no V1.01a, V11.003.1a just to keep it as simple as possible.. even with 32bit windows features eventually you will run out of the file name limit of characters V101 would be ok just try and limit . and - and _

SinglePLAYER missions

SM01 Battle of Midway.zip

SM01 Battle of Midway.mis
SM01 Battle of Midway.tsr
SM01 Battle of MidwayReadMe.txt
SM01 Battle of Midway.tga

SM01 BattleOfMidway.mis

Adversarial missions

ADV01 Tokyo-Saipan Convoy.zip
ADV01 Tokyo-Saipan Convoy.mis
ADV01 Tokyo-Saipan Convoy.tsr
ADV01 Tokyo-Saipan ConvoyReadMe.txt
ADV01 Tokyo-Saipan Convoy.tga
ADV01 Tokyo-Saipan Convoy.BFG <<--- a text file with something like this

-------------ADV01 Tokyo-Saipan Convoy.BFG---------------------

This SH4 Multiplayer Mission, Adversarial Mission, Singleplayer Mission has been verified by the BFG administrator and has been assigned mission # (ADV01). Have fun with your fello skippers!

----------END------ADV01 Tokyo-Saipan Convoy.BFG---------------

also by using this system it may aleviate the speed in which mssions with multi layers load

Starting a POLL to see if there is any need for mission standards

Rknhorse (SS qualified) (SSN) (SSBN) (ANAV)

Ahead Flank Make your Depth **CLASSIFIED** feet smartly!!!

Last edited by rknhorse; 04-17-07 at 11:59 PM.
rknhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 10:21 PM   #2
Mush Martin
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 4

After 4 came out I looked at it to try and build a fast loader but
insertion system is so different that MBFL wont or at least shouldnt
work on sh4
the technique is sound enough for sh3 but MBFL is a designers tool more
than a gaming tool. Maybe im not following but I dont see how MBFL
plays into your post except as a sort of example of the goal as opposed
to the technique.

I find that sh4 loads fairly quickly on my system so I gave it
low priority to research a new approach to fast loading.

The system is novel I like it I guess but usually My naming conventions
follow a theme of mine, Numbered missions dont sizzle like a steak commercial does.

Tutorial
Mush Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-07, 10:50 PM   #3
rknhorse
Watch

Downloads: 0

sorry mush I thought that MBFL cleared a bunch of needless data in the script layers, and other layers that contained positional data of enemy and freindly units that are not located in the general area of a user created mission area. My bad.

IMHO - I can serve a multiplayer mission (no 999 ping ) but when I do make the mission and others join 90% of the time the others get booted/disconnected going into the game. My belief is with the new mission setup for SH4 IE: MP01, MP02, ADV01, ADV02 that if the missions are not exactly the same on all users computers.. well then the mission has to uploaded/downloaded to the players who do not have the mission on there system.. thus creating lag time before mission starts and may be causing the crash's (never have a problem serving the UBI original missions just all the user created one's) I may be wrong but I believe that if all the missions were numbered in order and and exact copy on everyones system (like the UBI originals are) well there would be one less variable of why multiplayer missions crash.. and would cut down the load time considerably. Here is another bit of info I do host missions with a friend of mine and his missions are identicle in every way and the missions boot faster and crash less.. I may be wrong and it may be gremlins in UBI online server system.. seems that all the problems started after the 1.1 patch and all the peeps had to start hosting missions on hamachi.

Rknhorse (SS qualified) (SSN) (SSBN) (ANAV)

Ahead Flank Make your Depth **CLASSIFIED** feet smartly!!!

rknhorse is offline   Reply With Quote