SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-30-07, 07:16 PM   #1
Mad Dog 7.62
Nub

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 Mission Editor: Where to save the mission files?

This is getting frustrating....what directory do I put the missions created with the mission editor in so I can load and play them? And info as to location and anything else required would be appreciated. I have created a mission, but can't get it to load. Thanks for any help!!!!
Mad Dog 7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 07:23 PM   #2
Werewolf13
Torpedoman

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog 7.62
This is getting frustrating....what directory do I put the missions created with the mission editor in so I can load and play them? And info as to location and anything else required would be appreciated. I have created a mission, but can't get it to load. Thanks for any help!!!!
Good question...

Another good question is where is the mission editory documented. Not everyone with SH4 has SH3...
Old 03-30-07, 07:36 PM   #3
Mad Dog 7.62
Nub

Downloads: 3

Functionally the editor looks just like the SH3 editor. On SH3, there was an .pdf file with a *little* bit of info on the editor on the DVD. I have tried everything I can think to put this mission where the game will "find" it so it can be loaded. Its probably something simple causing the problem, but I can't figure it out.

There does need to be a manual and tutorial for the editor....its advertised as one of the games main features. Ubi kinda screwed the pooch on this one I think, lots of issues with the game and poor documentation. Hopefully someday soon with some more patches it will become a good game.

In the meantime....how do I get the missions created in the editor to work????
Mad Dog 7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-07, 07:57 PM   #4
CableRouter
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

You need to do two things, first create a folder for the mission. C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\Data\SingleMissions See the ones already there. I don't know if you need to prefix the next one with "SM12 ", but I did and it showed up at the end of the list. Next you need to save your mission with the same name as the folder, in the folder. Worked for me at least.
CableRouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 12:36 AM   #5
Docjonel
Watch

Downloads: 0

I had trouble with this too, initially. As CableRouter said, you first need to create a folder for your new mission located in your Data/SingleMissions folder. For example, I have a folder named "SM13 Tang in Formosa Straight."

There should be 3 items in that folder:
1.) A MIS file
2.) A TSR file
3.) A .tga format picture, 512x256 in dimension. You can just borrow one from one of the other folders if necessary.

REMEMBER, the MIS and TSR files need to have EXACTLY the same name as your mission folder (eg. "SM13 Tang in Formosa Straight" for both). Then you should be golden.

Last edited by Docjonel; 03-31-07 at 01:02 AM.
Docjonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 10:46 AM   #6
Hazelwood
Bosun

Downloads: 2

Quote:
This is getting frustrating....what directory do I put the missions created with the mission editor in so I can load and play them? Thanks for any help!!!!
Hi Mad Dog,

I use the mission editors a lot (SHIII and IV). There are many mysteries and no manual, which is a shame. Perhaps this will provide additional useful information.

Each single mission goes in a folder identified like this:

C:\Program files\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\Data\SingleMissions\MissionName

assuming you installed SH in the default location.

Step-by-step:

(1)Open ...\SingleMissions with Windows Explorer and create a NEW folder under \SingleMissions named \MyMission (you can call it anything but this is an example).

You should now see ... \SingleMissions\MyMission \MyMission is empty for now

(2)Now, start the Editor and work on your new mission. For the first SAVE, Choose Save As .... Point the save to ...\MyMission and specify a Save name *identical* to the folder name (MyMission in this case). \MyMission should now contain two files named MyMission.mis and MyMission.tsr.

After this the editor will knopw where the mission is and you can load/save from that location without having to name it.

That's it.

I have a full SHIII manual created by another entuisiast. I don't know if it is still available but if there is interest I can ask for permission to post it on my website or, perhaps, his link can still be found. The SHIII editor is almost identical to the SHIV.

best wishes,
Cpt. J. Hazelwood
Hazelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 10:49 AM   #7
Hazelwood
Bosun

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Hi Mad Dog,

I use the mission editors a lot (SHIII and IV). There are many mysteries and no manual, which is a shame. Perhaps this will provide additional useful information.

Each single mission goes in a folder identified like this:

C:\Program files\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\Data\SingleMissions\MissionName

assuming you installed SH in the default location.

Step-by-step:

(1)Open ...\SingleMissions with Windows Explorer and create a NEW folder under \SingleMissions named \MyMission (you can call it anything but this is an example).

You should now see ... \SingleMissions\MyMission \MyMission is empty for now

(2)Now, start the Editor and work on your new mission. For the first SAVE, Choose Save As .... Point the save to ...\MyMission and specify a Save name *identical* to the folder name (MyMission in this case). \MyMission should now contain two files named MyMission.mis and MyMission.tsr.

After this the editor will know where the mission is and you can load/save from that location without having to name it.

That's it.

I have a full SHIII manual created by another entuisiast. I don't know if it is still available but if there is interest I can ask for permission to post it on my website or, perhaps, his link can still be found. The SHIII editor is almost identical to the SHIV.

best wishes,
Cpt. J. Hazelwood
Hazelwood is offline   Reply With Quote