SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-02-11, 10:00 PM   #796
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
If you're using the 4gb patch you need an unmodified virgin sh3.exe file (with only the supermod added). If it has any other patches/mods that have changed it the mod won't work.
I don't use the 4GB patch. No need. Mods I use are in my signature - just GWX 3.0, with the following GWX mods enabled via JSGME:

GWX - English Nav Map and Grid Refs
GWX - Enhanced Damage Effects
GWX - Late War Sensors Snorkel Antennas
GWX - Main movie - 'Das Boot'
GWX - No Medals on Crew
GWX - Open Hatch Mod
GWX - VIIC41 Player Sub
GWX - Axis Mediterranean Aircraft Skins

I don't see how any of those would have anything to do with my sh3.exe. As far as I know, GWX doesn't modify the sh3.exe file in any way. I know I didn't even download GWX until a couple of days after SH3 finished downloading from Steam anyway.

Quote:
What's your machine's specs?
In my signature.

Quote:
Since many people have the problem I did (a 4gb patched sh3.exe file and no backup of the original file) would it be helpful if I could post it on my MF/FS site? Since it's only 1 file that in itself is otherwise useless I don't think there would be any legal issues. I would have used this mod a lot sooner if I didn't have to create a new installation just to get a virgin sh3.exe file that this mod needs.
That could be helpful, yes. Like you say, one can't do anything with just the .exe anyway.
Old 01-02-11, 10:14 PM   #797
Tessa
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
I don't use the 4GB patch. No need. Mods I use are in my signature - just GWX 3.0, with the following GWX mods enabled via JSGME:

GWX - English Nav Map and Grid Refs
GWX - Enhanced Damage Effects
GWX - Late War Sensors Snorkel Antennas
GWX - Main movie - 'Das Boot'
GWX - No Medals on Crew
GWX - Open Hatch Mod
GWX - VIIC41 Player Sub
GWX - Axis Mediterranean Aircraft Skins

I don't see how any of those would have anything to do with my sh3.exe. As far as I know, GWX doesn't modify the sh3.exe file in any way. I know I didn't even download GWX until a couple of days after SH3 finished downloading from Steam anyway.
Now that I think about this, how did things get so sidetracked? The main reason you need the virgin sh3.exe is to install the mod that the topic of this thread. It modifies that actual exe file directly, there are a few other items that do as well, none of which you are using.

I've posted a clean sh3.exe file for anyone that might want it (basically those of us that have applied the 4gb patch) here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?dzzfg6153i2i7r9

How did things fare when you disabled your secondary monitor? Does the problem still persist?
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 02:43 AM   #798
WH4K
Frogman

I figured those mods had nothing to do with it.

I downloaded & tried to patch your version of sh3.exe. Still no dice.

Precisely which version of SH3 is your .exe from - Steam, original vanilla SH3, SH3 gold, or...? I assume it's at patch level 1.4, right? I'm not sure why they would be any different. A version 1.4 .exe should be a version 1.4 exe, regardless of source, unless Ubisoft is playing some stupid games.

I also noticed that my Steam-downloaded sh3.exe has a size of 1308 kbytes, where yours is 1300 kbytes. Weird. I can run my GWX 3.0-ed SH3 install using either the original Steam version of the .exe, or yours.

Turning off the second monitor had absolutely no effect. I cannot minimize SH3 to the taskbar. The most that happens is, my taskbar and parts of other applications will sort of flicker through the SH3 menu. Same thing happens when in-game.

When I have the second monitor active, I can shift mouse & keyboard focus to that screen by Alt+Tabbing SH3. But I can't drag over a window that was open on the primary monitor before I ran SH3. So I think what I'll have to do is, open anything I'll want to use while playing SH3 (e.g. GWX 3.0 manual) on the second screen before starting SH3 through SH3 Commander.

Last edited by WH4K; 01-03-11 at 10:42 AM.
WH4K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 02:57 AM   #799
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

Max. Diving times in V15D4 for Types VII and XI :

-Under normal conditions: approx 54h.
-When repairs are done all the time: 36h.
-Silent Running all the time: 72h.

So the 72h from the "Kriegsmarine Handbook" are reached only under special conditions (silent running). Under normal conditions max. diving times are shorter.

I have no problem to shorten the diving times, but before I do that, I think it's a good idea to collect some more informations.

@Silent Ace, Tessa: Thanks you for all your infos and thoughts.

Last edited by h.sie; 01-03-11 at 03:09 AM.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 03:00 AM   #800
h.sie
Admiral

@Tessa, WH4K: If the patcher doesn't like your sh3.exe, you don't have the correct non-starforce version of sh3 which is required. You can get it for some bucks and it's worth the money.

If you want to change from starforce-sh3 into non-starforce-sh3, it's not sufficient to only change sh3.exe. You also need to change some dll's (see earlier posts in this thread).
Old 01-03-11, 03:29 AM   #801
WH4K
Frogman

That doesn't make sense.

As I downloaded from Steam, I don't have a physical disc, or Starforce. According to every source I can find, Starforce hasn't been included in SH3 for some time. That's one reason I finally bought SH3. I'm certainly not going to buy it a second time.

I can find no evidence of Starforce being present on my system. The official Starforce removal tool (linked to in this forum about a year ago, here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=160118), does not detect any Starforce drivers in use on my system, nor do I have any of the registry entries associated with Starforce.

So no, I don't think Starforce is the problem. There is something else going on here. Perhaps it's unique to the Steam version of SH3. It doesn't make sense that the Steam executable would be unique, but apparently it is.
Old 01-03-11, 03:47 AM   #802
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 617

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
...my Steam-downloaded sh3.exe has a size of 1308 bytes, where yours is 1300 bytes...
The correct size is 1,331,200 bytes not 1308 or 1300...

MD5 hash: 510b271d14621361386197be6bd8cc0c

Last edited by SquareSteelBar; 01-03-11 at 08:34 AM.
SquareSteelBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 10:40 AM   #803
WH4K
Frogman

It's another case of the Windows filesystem lying a little. The exact filesize of my sh3.exe is 1339392 bytes, according to Ubuntu.

Wonder what those extra bytes do? I don't understand how I can have the same version (1.4) as everyone else, yet we have different size files. Shouldn't that be a different version?
Old 01-03-11, 05:05 PM   #804
Silent Ace
Seaman

Downloads: 64

A drawing that shows the U.S. WW2 submariners psycho-physical condition of his comrades after 31 hours spent under water.

Silent Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 05:24 PM   #805
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareSteelBar View Post
The correct size is 1,331,200 bytes not 1308 or 1300...

MD5 hash: 510b271d14621361386197be6bd8cc0c
I have 1,331,200 in my 1.4 with 4GbPatch.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 10:46 PM   #806
Tessa
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
@Tessa, WH4K: If the patcher doesn't like your sh3.exe, you don't have the correct non-starforce version of sh3 which is required. You can get it for some bucks and it's worth the money.

If you want to change from starforce-sh3 into non-starforce-sh3, it's not sufficient to only change sh3.exe. You also need to change some dll's (see earlier posts in this thread).
The patch worked fine for me using that exe I posted. It's from a non-starforce, DD from Ubisoft that was already patched to 1.4. I did install GWX, in retrospect I should have just left it as the vanilla, though installing GWX can take awhile on older machines.

The version I have is a very rare one, Ubisoft only had direct sales available for a few months before they switched to the current system. It's a real shame I can't re-distribute it to those who have bought a legit copy and are having problems with installs (usually due to Windows 7), mine has no starforce and no need to add any additional patches to get it working with any of the supermods. This version has never suffered any of the install/compatibilty problems that many others experience. When I began playing initially was using the cd; eventually the cd became unusable. At that time it was only $10 from Ubisoft and bought it directly from them. I've never had any problems getting it working, once I installed it onto a different machine (in order to get the unmodified sh3.exe) added GWX applying this mod only took a few seconds and was ready to go.

Its been awhile since I've been able to use dual monitors. When my main large one died I've been left only with my laptop or 32" lcd TV. I do recally from when I was using dual monitors with games that the behaviour as annoying and unpredictable. I spent awhile trying to figure out why the heck the game was opening on the 2nd monitor, then trying to alt tab out would ctd the game. Ultimately when I wanted to play a game I unplugged the 2nd monitor. I'm fresh out of ideas, aside from unplugging the 2nd one and changing the display settings to use 1 monitor I'm not sure what more to suggest.
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 02:51 AM   #807
h.sie
Admiral

I seem to have the same sh3.exe version as Tessa has and I also never had any problems, although I sometimes have mod-salad in one of my sh3 installation (for testing and modding purposes). Campaigns load in 3-4 minutes, never had CTD when loading savegames - this is what I call a stable game. So I recommend to pay some bucks for that version. in german it costs 5 euros.
Old 01-04-11, 02:51 AM   #808
WH4K
Frogman

I did OLC Gold Mk II to work, which includes its own longer repair times fix. So all I'm missing from the subject mod is the periscope speed restriction.

I'll do without this patching the .exe business. Too complicated, as there are too many different versions of the SH3 executable floating around (way to go, Ubisoft!). I go really slow at periscope depth anyway, because I don't want to get killed to death by alert destroyers and such.
Old 01-04-11, 03:00 AM   #809
h.sie
Admiral

@W4HK: Nice to read that you finally got it to work. My patches are not essential for gameplay, they are only "nice-to-have". And the periscope-speed restriction can be "modded" by your own self-discipline.
Old 01-04-11, 11:43 AM   #810
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Hi all,

after the comments I thought again about the submerged endurance. I have reread the original manual for the VIIC and I think that I know now where the 72h come from. So, here is my theory:

The value is the max. theoretical time the sub could stay submerged with full oxygen tanks. However, the oxygen tanks were for a full patrol, i.e., depending on how long the sub had been submerged before, the max. diving duration was less.

This theory is based on the following observations:

- Meanwhile I have read an account of a patrol in which a sub had to return (among other things) because the oxygen tanks were almost empty.

- The original manual does not contradict this theory. It only says that the sub can stay submerged for 72 hours with the given amount of 'Alkalipatronen' and oxygen. Since I don't think they could produce pure oxygen during a patrol I assume the oxygen tanks got more and more empty during a patrol, limiting the submerged endurance in the course of a patrol (I am also not sure whether the 'Alkalipatronen' could be recovered during a patrol).

- The manual says the following:

Volume of sub: 400 m^3
One man needs 30l/h
Max. allowed CO2: 1.5%
Min. oxygen: 17.5%

--> With 37 men the CO2 level is reached after 5h20min. After 4h the concentration should be checked for the first time.

Oxygen tanks: 500l with 150 atü

If you use this information you can calculate that the sub can stay submerged around 72h before critical concentrations are reached.

The main questions about this theory are:

1.) Could a boat produce PURE oxygen?

2.) Could the 'Alkalipatronen' be recovered during a patrol?

Consequences for SH3 modding:

- I think a max. submerged endurance of 72h is not unrealistic, but you should not be able to stay submerged for this amount of time more than once during a patrol.

- Probably the best solution would be if an oxygen tank would be modeled that gets more and more empty if you stay submerged for more than 4-5h. In this case the total diving time (over 4-5h) during a patrol would be recorded and limit your submerged endurance (72h at the beginning and less long at the end).

However, since an oxygen tank is not modeled in SH3 I think it's very difficult to model. So, there might be two solutions:

- Keep the current model with a constant max. diving time. The time can be either the max. value 72h or an averaged ('middle of patrol').

- Try to (ab)use the CO2 gauge in SH3, i.e., changing the code in a way that CO2 is not set to 0 when you surface and increase it with a constant rate when you are submerged for more than 4-5h.

Anyway, these are my thought on this issue. As I said, the current model from h.sie is fine for me and it's anyway up to h.sie what he thinks.

Cheers, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote