SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-03-21, 08:33 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Radar bug in TMO

Had this happen twice now in TMO. First time was in a porpoise class played all through 1942. Received conning tower upgrade in late 42. SJ radar would not longer work. Says it is there, but screens are dark like it is off, flip the power switch, nothing, like before SJ is available.

Now, just happened on my fifth patrol in Sargo Class in July 1942. Started career in January 1943. After last patrol in 3 June- 6 July 1943 Fremantle. After docked received word connnig tower had been cut down etc. Came back had a 3 inch deck gun again, single 20 mm forward and aft, original SD radar, SJ 1 radar, SJ nor SJ 1 radar works.

Any ideas? Aggravating and lost a great career out of this., again.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-21, 09:04 AM   #2
mazzi
Mate

Downloads: 551
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Any ideas? Aggravating and lost a great career out of this., again.
Google translation:
Before each launch of the game, you must register the correct directory in the Windows registry - that from where you start sh4.exe

I will assume that you now have c:\games\FotRSU the main game registered in the Windows registry.
And you run c:\games\TMO because of this and an error when upgrading the radar and the rest.
You need to register c:\games\TMO in the registry, for this there is the SHValidator.exe program.

mazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-21, 12:32 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

mazzi has come to the rescue again! Thank you mazzi! I had completely forgotten about this point. If I remember correctly, I used to add the game folder to the System Path variable in System Properties, Advanced, System Variables, Edit window, which I am testing on Win7 & Win10 now. I'll report back in a bit, if this works as well. Using TDW's SH Validator is much easier though. Thanks again mazzi!

Update: OK, I was not able to get my radar to fail, as Bubblehead1980 reported, probably due to not having a new conn on my boat yet. However, I now have my old explosions back, and see all sorts of debris flying off of ships upon shell or torpedo impacts once again, whereas before, the explosions were rather plain most of the time... so that points to the library folder... Nothing definitive by adding the game folder to the Windows Path yet, but it seems to change things a bit. I'll do more checking on this sometime next week.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 03-04-21 at 05:27 PM.
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 03:54 PM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzi View Post
Google translation:
Before each launch of the game, you must register the correct directory in the Windows registry - that from where you start sh4.exe

I will assume that you now have c:\games\FotRSU the main game registered in the Windows registry.
And you run c:\games\TMO because of this and an error when upgrading the radar and the rest.
You need to register c:\games\TMO in the registry, for this there is the SHValidator.exe program.

Okay, forgive me. I am lost as to what you said but definitely want to know how to resolve this, just lost a great career in 1944 after my paint scheme was upgraded and radar bug kicked in. lol

Yes, SH is in C:/ubisoft/SH4
Old 03-07-21, 04:03 PM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
mazzi has come to the rescue again! Thank you mazzi! I had completely forgotten about this point. If I remember correctly, I used to add the game folder to the System Path variable in System Properties, Advanced, System Variables, Edit window, which I am testing on Win7 & Win10 now. I'll report back in a bit, if this works as well. Using TDW's SH Validator is much easier though. Thanks again mazzi!

Update: OK, I was not able to get my radar to fail, as Bubblehead1980 reported, probably due to not having a new conn on my boat yet. However, I now have my old explosions back, and see all sorts of debris flying off of ships upon shell or torpedo impacts once again, whereas before, the explosions were rather plain most of the time... so that points to the library folder... Nothing definitive by adding the game folder to the Windows Path yet, but it seems to change things a bit. I'll do more checking on this sometime next week.

I don't recall this ever happening in the Gato and Balao, just in the Salmon/Sargo/Porpoise class.Annoying because I have enjoyed playing the older boats in later years but quite annoying to lose SJ when it says i have it. Remember its in TMO. I can't figure it out, I am kind of lost on what mazi said lol asked for clarification.
Old 03-07-21, 04:35 PM   #6
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

This is from the NSS_Salmon.upc under the upgradepacks section in TMO.

See anything that would cause the error? I don't.

The error has now happened when the game changed the paint scheme and modified conning tower. It does away with previous equipment and puts the older. So for example on last time after returned from patrol in late Jan 44, I was notified my Salmon Class would be painted with MS/32 scheme. This caused my SJ-1 radar to revert back to SJ and one of the Twin 20 MM to revert to a single. When I tried reequipped this with no issue, when started the sim, radar does not work as in screen is blank.

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UpgradePackSlot 1]
ID= UpgSurfaceSearchRadar
NameDisplayable= Surface Search Radar
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes=SalmonSurfaceRadars
UserCustomizable=Yes
IDLinkUpgradePackSlots= EqSlot42, EqSlot43, SurfRadarAntenna, SurfRadarAntennaMed, SurfRadarAntennaLate
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault1= 1942-06-01, 1943-06-30, UpackSalmonSJRadar
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault2= 1943-07-01, NULL, UpackSalmonSJ1Radar

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UpgradePackSlot 2]
ID= UpgAirSearchRadar
NameDisplayable= Air Search Radar
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes=AirRadars
UserCustomizable=Yes
IDLinkUpgradePackSlots= EqSlot33, AirRadarAntenna
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault1= 1941-12-07, 1943-03-10, UpackGatoSDRadar
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault2= 1943-03-11, NULL, UpackGatoImpSDRadar

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UpgradePackSlot 3]
ID= UpgDeckGun
NameDisplayable= Deck Gun
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes=USDeckGunBasicBow
UserCustomizable=Yes
IDLinkUpgradePackSlots= BowDeckGun, SternDeckGun
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault1= NULL, 1943-05-31, Upack3in50calDGBow
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault2= 1943-06-01, NULL, Upack4in50calDGBow

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UpgradePackSlot 4]
ID= UpgHydrophone
NameDisplayable= Hydrophone
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes= FleetBoatHydrophones
UserCustomizable=Yes
IDLinkUpgradePackSlots= HydrophoneStationSlot, HydrophoneHeadSlot
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault1= NULL, 1943-05-31, UpackWCAHydrophone
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault2= 1943-06-01, 1944-12-31, UpackJPHydrophone
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault3= 1945-01-01, NULL, UpackJTHydrophone

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UpgradePackSlot 5]
ID= UpgSonar
NameDisplayable= SONAR
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes= FleetBoatSonar
UserCustomizable=Yes
IDLinkUpgradePackSlots= EqSlot41, EqSlot52, EqSlot54
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault1= NULL, NULL, UpackWCASonar

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UpgradePackSlot 6]
ID= UpgDecoy
NameDisplayable= Decoy
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes=USDecoyLaunchers
UserCustomizable=Yes
IDLinkUpgradePackSlots= DecoyLaunchMount
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault1= 1944-12-01, NULL, UpackDecoy

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UpgradePackSlot 7]
ID= UpgRadarWarningReceiver
NameDisplayable= Radar Counter Measure
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes= RadarWarningReceiver
UserCustomizable=Yes
IDLinkUpgradePackSlots= RWRAppMount, RWRAntenna
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault1= 1944-08-01, NULL, UpackUSRWR

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UpgradePackSlot 8]
ID= UpgPaint
NameDisplayable= Submarine Paint
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes= PaintCoating
UserCustomizable=Yes
IDLinkUpgradePackSlots= PaintJob
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault1= NULL, 1944-01-31, UpackPaintDefault
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault2= 1944-02-01, NULL, UpackPaintms32
Old 03-07-21, 05:09 PM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

What he said was "Run this dude: [https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...ile&id=4630]SH Validator from TDW[/url], choose the folder where your desired install to check is, and the applet will ask you if you want it to update your Windows Registry to point to that game install. Tell it "yes", and that will alter the Registry to not look in the original install folder, but rather at the modded TMO folder. If you did a completely "fresh" install initially, then you won't get that prompt.

As to the radar on the older boats, what we found in FotRSU was that the mast for the radar has to match the conn, and has to match the radar. Some of our radars were pointing at "normal" SJ, and had to be pointed at "Supported SJ", while one of the conns had to have its mount points moved for it to accept the mast...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 06:22 PM   #8
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
What he said was "Run this dude: [https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...ile&id=4630]SH Validator from TDW[/url], choose the folder where your desired install to check is, and the applet will ask you if you want it to update your Windows Registry to point to that game install. Tell it "yes", and that will alter the Registry to not look in the original install folder, but rather at the modded TMO folder. If you did a completely "fresh" install initially, then you won't get that prompt.

As to the radar on the older boats, what we found in FotRSU was that the mast for the radar has to match the conn, and has to match the radar. Some of our radars were pointing at "normal" SJ, and had to be pointed at "Supported SJ", while one of the conns had to have its mount points moved for it to accept the mast...
In the data posted below, is the SJ pointing to a "supported" SJ?

Thanks for the clarification, makes sense to me now, mostly. Perhaps I should do a new install first or of SH 4 or ? Just save my mods of course.
Old 03-10-21, 10:16 AM   #9
Nicolas
Commander

Downloads: 194
Uploads: 4

This bug had me stopping playing sh4 sevreal times now when i finally get the itch to play a career, i tried to fix it but i couldn't do it. I am waiting for a new version of fotrs to see if i can play a career normally. Last time the AI was too weak, in tmo they were very good, maybe too much.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-21, 12:43 PM   #10
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
This bug had me stopping playing sh4 sevreal times now when i finally get the itch to play a career, i tried to fix it but i couldn't do it. I am waiting for a new version of fotrs to see if i can play a career normally. Last time the AI was too weak, in tmo they were very good, maybe too much.
It's an old TMO bug( I guess Ducimus stopped working on TMO before could resolve it) I forgotten because always played RSRD with it and RSRD corrected it apparently. I believe FOTRS has as well.
Old 03-16-21, 07:37 PM   #11
Nicolas
Commander

So i started a new playtrhough with tmo and this time RSRD campaign, the error happened again, and lost the gun and all upgrades, so i prevent now the bug happening by disabling the conning tower upgrade like this:

Go to Silent Hunter 4 TMO\Data\Submarine\NSS_(your sub)\yoursub.upc

The upc conning tower upgrade section is this:

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1]
ID=GatoConningSlot
NameDisplayable=Conning Tower Mount
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes=GatoConningTower
IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault1= NULL, 1960-06-25, GatoConningEarlyWar ;Only UnitParts of this type could be placed here
;IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault2= 1942-06-26, 1943-01-25, GatoConningMedWar ; <------ commented
;IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault3= 1943-01-26, 1944-01-25, GatoConningLateWar ; <------ commented
;IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault4= 1944-01-26, NULL, GatoConningElite ; <------ commented
ExternalNodeName3D= Z01

So now the upgrade does not take place problem is this requires a new career unless:
you go to your save folder and edit ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc

There is a section identical to the other upc one, you need to comment out the towers sections and it worked for me i reloaded a save just beore docking and this time i didn't get the upgrade, problem is you never will get conning tower upgrades like this.
Old 03-19-21, 11:46 AM   #12
Nicolas
Commander

So if you replace the early conning tower to another in the upc file, in that section in the previous post you can get a start of the war 'late' conning tower at the start not realistic but if unable to get conning tower upgrades this is better than going with an early one all the time.

I tested this with a new career.
Old 03-19-21, 09:04 PM   #13
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
So i started a new playtrhough with tmo and this time RSRD campaign, the error happened again, and lost the gun and all upgrades, so i prevent now the bug happening by disabling the conning tower upgrade like this:

Go to Silent Hunter 4 TMO\Data\Submarine\NSS_(your sub)\yoursub.upc

The upc conning tower upgrade section is this:

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1]
ID=GatoConningSlot
NameDisplayable=Conning Tower Mount
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes=GatoConningTower
IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault1= NULL, 1960-06-25, GatoConningEarlyWar ;Only UnitParts of this type could be placed here
;IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault2= 1942-06-26, 1943-01-25, GatoConningMedWar ; <------ commented
;IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault3= 1943-01-26, 1944-01-25, GatoConningLateWar ; <------ commented
;IDLinkUnitPartIntervalDefault4= 1944-01-26, NULL, GatoConningElite ; <------ commented
ExternalNodeName3D= Z01

So now the upgrade does not take place problem is this requires a new career unless:
you go to your save folder and edit ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc

There is a section identical to the other upc one, you need to comment out the towers sections and it worked for me i reloaded a save just beore docking and this time i didn't get the upgrade, problem is you never will get conning tower upgrades like this.

Thank you for this information