SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-11-22, 12:25 PM   #16
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

Some rough numbers for you, I havent included very minor ships in this like barges tugs etc.

But you can see while China has major numbers of warships it has very few auxiliaries to sustain them.

Type Ship Type Active Sea Trail Building Developing Decom Total Planned Notes

Aircraft Carriers
T001 CV 1 1
T002 CV 1 1
T003 CV 1 1
T004 CV 1 1
Amphibious Units
T076 LHD 1 UKN Ocean Capable
T075 LHD 2 1 3 8 Ocean capable
T074A LSM 12 UKN Regional Capability Small landing craft 800t
T074 LSM 9 3 12 Regional Capability small landing craft 800t
T073 LSH 11 4 14 Regional Capability includes 073 I,II,III, A Varients
T072 LSD 30 Regional Capability includes 072 II,III,A Varients
T071 LPD 6 2 Ocean Capable
T271 LCU 10 UKN Regional Capability all varients numbers estimated
T958 LCAC 6 UKN Local Capability based on Russian Zubr
T067 LCU 60 UKN Local Capability numbers are estimates
T068/9 LCU 120 UKN Local Capability numbers are estimates
T722 LCAC 10 UKN Local Capability
T724 LCAC 26 UKN Local Capability many for research
T726 LCAC 16 1 5 UKN Local Capability
Destroyers
T956 DDG 4 4 Ocean Capable Based on Russian Sovremenny class
T051B DDG 1 1 Ocean Capable
T051C DDG 2 2 Ocean Capable
T052 DDG 2 2 Ocean Capable
T052B DDG 2 2 Ocean Capable
T052C DDG 6 6 Ocean Capable
T052D DDG 18 2 5 25 Ocean Capable
T055 DDG 5 1 2 16 Ocean Capable
Frigates
T053 FFG 10 10 Ocean Capable all are H3 Varient
T054 FFG 32 1 50 Ocean Capable includes A varient
Corvette
T056 FFL 72 72 Ocean Capable includes A varient
Coastal Vessels
T022 PCM 83 2 85
T037 PCM 123 1 1 130 Export only building all varients
T062 PC 17 30 47 All Varients
Mine Warfare
T010 MCM 6 UKN All are obsolete based on soviet T43
T081 MHCM 12 2 12 Regional Capability possibly more planned
Submarines
T092 SSBN 1 1 Chinas first SSBN
T094 SSBN 6 2 8 Main SSBN
T096 SSBN 8 8 Currently in development
T091 SSN 3 2 5 Chinas first SSN
T093 SSN 6 6
T095 SSN 1 5 6 Potentially more to be built
T039 SSK 30 3 35
T032 SSA 1 1 Test unit Qing class
877/636 SSK 10 2 12 Imported Russian Kilo class 2 877 type scrapped
T035 SSK 18 1 21 Based on Soviet Romeo Exp 2 bangladesh 1 decom
Auxilaries
Pearl RoRo 4 4 In civilian service STUFT if required
Chang da PCTC 1 1 In civilian service STUFT if required
Revival RoRo 1 1 In civilian service STUFT if required
Zhong RoRo 1 1 In civilian service STUFT if required
Container AKX UKN UKN Unknown number of container ships STUFT
Qiongsha A 4 2 6 Troop carrying ships STUFT
T901 AOR 2 2 Ocean going replensihment ship
T904 AKS 6 6 Dry store no Underway replenishment capability
T903 AOR 10 1 11 Ocean going replensihment ship
T908 AOR 1 1 Ocean going replensihment ship
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plan 1.jpg (19.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg plan 2.jpg (19.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg plan 3.jpg (16.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg plan 4.jpg (15.6 KB, 0 views)

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/

Last edited by Kapitan; 05-11-22 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Added content
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-22, 12:40 PM   #17
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

For once I want only to believe that one of you could be right in what you have posted, than knowing that exactly you were correct.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-22, 12:41 PM   #18
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

That is a pretty pathetic list.
Old 05-11-22, 01:02 PM   #19
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post

This is true however there are some areas where we in the west lack namely AShM capability, we are still reliant on the subsonic 1977 Harpoon and a modernized version (Maritime strike) of the subsonic Tomahawk, LRASM is merely a stop gap, we actually need to start looking closely at this area.

As for the 2018 decision by the UK to remove harpoon from service from all RN ships its just one of those head in hands moments for me.

The Ukrainian Neptune-class anti-ship missiles are essentially Russian copies of the Harpoon missile. They are subsonic missiles with about a 145 kilogram warhead. To be fair, the Moskva did not have it's air defense radars in operation. This is incompetence and ineptitude on a whole new level. It's a matter of conjecture if the Moskva could have stopped the missile attack if it had been alerted in time. This is based on photos taken after the attack that show it's radar emitters were stowed.

The point is Subsonic missiles under the right circumstances are still effective. The Russian Frigate Makarov has also been hit with Ukrainian missiles and certainly, it was aware of the dangers that the Ukraine posed and yet, was unable to stop the attack. The photos and video are courtesy of Turkey.

Certainly, the U.S will apply hyper-sonic technology to it's next generation Tomahawk ASM inventory. Tomahawks employ a much larger warhead yield over Harpoon missiles.

https://news.usni.org/2022/05/05/war...analysis-shows

https://www.skynews.com.au/world-new...9a86deee92f996
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-22, 01:17 PM   #20
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tion_Army_Navy

Considering that in a war over the South Chinese Sea or Taiwan most of that ^ would be amasse din a relatziuv ely small amount of space with added supportr by missiles and airpowers based on shores, and then those short supply lines, I must - despite your diagnosis - disagree with yoru conclusions on some things, Kapitan. The closer to China the battles talke place, the bigger that is an advanatge for China. They can amass their comboiat power whereas the US sti8ll needs to cosnider their inteersts in othe rreigons of the globe, and must split forces, "scatter them around", as I put it. Only a part of the US Navy cpould join direct ly the war, whereas the Chiense can send ALL theior navy, and most of their land-based air power, while being still save on the contient and along the borders with Russia.

Also, until the war breaks out, they will have collected even more small shifts of the balance in their favour. How they accioeve that, is a combnaiton of factors the vidoe decribes, and an increasingly aggressive use of their dominant business position in the world to get what they want.

They got the nsoth Chiense sea pratcially for free and the US let it happen. This has sent a signal throughout the region. We see more and more small steps by some neighbourign states that accept to fall into appeasement policies against their overwhelming huge and aggressive neighbour of theirs. Whether the Philippines did demand higher fees for harvbouring Us forces or not, is not the issue, it doe snot matter. That the US did nothing but symbolic policies so fa to stop the "land taking" by the Chinese - that is what resonates through the region currently, even mroe so after the Trump years which were a big sobering regarding the US reliability in Asia and in the Gulf states. Trump may be gone for the time being, but the damage was done, and is still there.

I see the Japanese growth in militarizaition in that context, too, The Japanese understood that maybe the US will be less reliably than for decades was thought. Right becasue the Us population is so inwilling to accept high losses in a war far away anymore. I do not judge or condemn this - I just take note of that it is like this. The general mood seems to be set for growing isolationism. Lets face it, a war with China at sea will be most likely short, and very brutal. Much like what Gorshkov already described future naval wars to be.
Old 05-11-22, 01:39 PM   #21
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Some thoughts

1. How fast/quick can China take Taiwan

2. How fast can USA and its allied come to the rescue

3. If China takes Taiwan before USA and its allied arrive-Will USA then liberate Taiwan or will they see it as a Chinese problem ?

Markus

Old 05-11-22, 01:59 PM   #22
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
That is a pretty pathetic list.
I will upload screen shots seems the forum doesn't like spread sheets.

Quote:
The Ukrainian Neptune-class anti-ship missiles are essentially Russian copies of the Harpoon missile. They are subsonic missiles with about a 145 kilogram warhead. To be fair, the Moskva did not have it's air defense radars in operation. This is incompetence and ineptitude on a whole new level. It's a matter of conjecture if the Moskva could have stopped the missile attack if it had been alerted in time. This is based on photos taken after the attack that show it's radar emitters were stowed.

The point is Subsonic missiles under the right circumstances are still effective. The Russian Frigate Makarov has also been hit with Ukrainian missiles and certainly, it was aware of the dangers that the Ukraine posed and yet, was unable to stop the attack. The photos and video are courtesy of Turkey.

Certainly, the U.S will apply hyper-sonic technology to it's next generation Tomahawk ASM inventory. Tomahawks employ a much larger warhead yield over Harpoon missiles.
Not nessaserily incompetence, EMCON would mean your passively listening so your air and surface search active radars would be switched off its a very common practice even in the RN and USN, its so you don't betray your position.

The down side to that is if you miss something like a incoming missile you have no time to react not to mention no time really to counter either.

If you take Sheffield's incident as an example her radars were off before the attack to make a communications call to London, she basically didn't see the missile coming and even if she had and been able to power up the radars it would have been all over anyway she simply wouldn't have been able to counter it.

Yes subsonic missiles still have a role but if your up against a switched on crew, with a decent AAW platform it simply wont get through, China today has a decent AAW platform(s) the crew is another matter.

There was a trial on HMS Diamond fairly recently (2018) the crew were practicing against drones, now yes they were switched on but the drones were fired over 100nm away, Diamonds crew could see the target all the way in then just fired at it.
The control room was quite active but looking at the AWO checking his watch wondering how long be before its in range of the Aster missiles is quite something.

Point is this would have been a completely different scenario had it been hypersonic.

They have a role yes but against a decent platform with a decent crew its unlikely they would get through.

Old 05-11-22, 02:03 PM   #23
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Some thoughts

3. If China takes Taiwan before USA and its allied arrive-Will USA then liberate Taiwan or will they see it as a Chinese problem ?

Markus
With China watching all whats going on with Ukraine v Russia I am pretty sure they wont make the same mistakes so:

1. Once a beachhead is established and supply lines established were talking maybe a week or two before the Island falls.

2. I am skeptical that they will it would be much easier to leave Taiwan to its fate than try and fight that close to China and in shallow waters of the SCS where China has every advantage.

3. I would say they would see it as a Chinese problem and Taiwan will just be another enclave of the PRC.

Old 05-11-22, 02:09 PM   #24
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Some thoughts

Markus
1 and 3: everybody currently recalculates things in the light of the Ukraine experience.

2 The only force that could "come to the rescue" is the US, and the US alone, all others simply do not have the weight and numbers. Maybe some day Japan will be, but right now I dont think so. Taking Taiwan probably is more costly than previously thought, but then the whole Island is in range of intense missile barrages from China. China can let missiles rain down on them all day and all night long.

How long it takes? It depends. China bases on the bet that it can keep US carrier groups far enough away to beocmne effedctive, and if they get close enough to become effective they would be in range of Chinese land power or get detected os that carrier killers can be zeroed in on them. Those logn chains of islands will be the first frontline. Chiona wants to keep save all water west of it, the US want to be able to break through it. Later, China may want to break thorzugh it and further East to be able to operate a globally active blue water navy, the US will then see these island as an obstacle to contain China west of these islands. Thats why Taiwan is so inportant, it is the lock in this chain of islands. The one side wants to break it open, the other wants to keep it locked.
Old 05-11-22, 02:14 PM   #25
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Thank you Kapitan and Skybird for your answer to my 3 questions.

Markus

Old 05-11-22, 02:19 PM   #26
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Quote:
Considering that in a war over the South Chinese Sea or Taiwan most of that ^ would be amasse din a relatziuv ely small amount of space with added supportr by missiles and airpowers based on shores, and then those short supply lines, I must - despite your diagnosis - disagree with yoru conclusions on some things, Kapitan. The closer to China the battles talke place, the bigger that is an advanatge for China. They can amass their comboiat power whereas the US sti8ll needs to cosnider their inteersts in othe rreigons of the globe, and must split forces, "scatter them around", as I put it. Only a part of the US Navy cpould join direct ly the war, whereas the Chiense can send ALL theior navy, and most of their land-based air power, while being still save on the contient and along the borders with Russia.
Always up for discussion, but I will point out my initial post was based on a much broader global style rather than focusing on the SCS, it was mainly in answer to the global reach.

To turn to your points, yes the closer to China the harder it will be as they have land based aircraft and can amass forces that is a given however by doing so you deny yourself freedom of movement which is a key element in order to keep momentum in battle.

While the USA has certain commitments elsewhere a major confrontation of that kind would see the USN focus its forces and cut loose some of its priorities or give them to another nation such as Canada or Belgium to handle.

Like the USN China cannot send its entire navy to sea all at once, simply put there's always going to be ships in dock for repairs and maintenance or out of service the best your going to get is roughly 2/3 of any navy.

The USN has large surface forces and is more than capable of using allied forces as well, the USN wouldn't simply be scratching their heads wondering where the assets are coming from they know that they can take x from here and Y from there and there's always roaming groups on independent patrol.

Quote:
Also, until the war breaks out, they will have collected even more small shifts of the balance in their favour. How they accioeve that, is a combnaiton of factors the vidoe decribes, and an increasingly aggressive use of their dominant business position in the world to get what they want
Which is no good to China if they cant get raw materials for production, or ship out finished goods, its why China would have to keep its supply lines open otherwise its economy would tank.

Quote:
They got the nsoth Chiense sea pratcially for free and the US let it happen. This has sent a signal throughout the region. We see more and more small steps by some neighbourign states that accept to fall into appeasement policies against their overwhelming huge and aggressive neighbour of theirs. Whether the Philippines did demand higher fees for harvbouring Us forces or not, is not the issue, it doe snot matter. That the US did nothing but symbolic policies so fa to stop the "land taking" by the Chinese - that is what resonates through the region currently, even mroe so after the Trump years which were a big sobering regarding the US reliability in Asia and in the Gulf states. Trump may be gone for the time being, but the damage was done, and is still there.
I don't disagree Trump did do a lot of damage in the region, and its why I believe USA wont act if China invades Taiwan or if it does it'll be sanctions or something of the like.

Quote:
I see the Japanese growth in militarizaition in that context, too, The Japanese understood that maybe the US will be less reliably than for decades was thought. Right becasue the Us population is so inwilling to accept high losses in a war far away anymore. I do not judge or condemn this - I just take note of that it is like this. The general mood seems to be set for growing isolationism. Lets face it, a war with China at sea will be most likely short, and very brutal. Much like what Gorshkov already described future naval wars to be
They are growing as are the South Koreans and the reason they are growing is not because of lack of willing with the USA its more to do with Chinas massive build up, in any war were likely to see the Europeans hold the Atlantic theatre while the USA would dedicated a good portion of the Atlantic fleet into the Pacific.

Any war with China and it will be costly not just economically.

Old 05-11-22, 02:24 PM   #27
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Quote:
I am very skeptical about the video mainly because the Radars of the ship in the video do not fit those of Makarov, on top of that the profile of the ship also doesn't seem to be that of Makarov in fact its more like a Krivack and there's only one Laddny that's active but in port.

Then add to that several western sources have confirmed Makarov is still sailing and showing no damage

Right now the OSINT network is claiming this video is from a computer game called Arma 3

Old 05-11-22, 02:57 PM   #28
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

So here I am going through CNN to see if there's any new news about Ukraine and then I found this..Fits perfect here in this thread

Quote:
"It's our view that (China is) working hard to effectively put themselves into a position in which their military is capable of taking Taiwan over our intervention," Haines said, declining to publicly provide further details on the intelligence community's timeline.
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/10/p...wan/index.html

Markus

Old 05-11-22, 03:38 PM   #29
Skybird
Soaring

Kapitan,
I think China will fiorts need to break the "chain of islands" that contian it, with Taiwan being the lock keeping the chain locked, before they can seriously consider to operate a gobal fleet. All thos eislands currently are held by the US or allies by the US. Thats why I think the regional war will come before the stage of a globally seafaring Chinese fleet. And so I give concerns about that regional conflict priority for the time being. Not before that question has been asnwerd oine way or the other, the quesiton of a golobally navigating Chinese war navy nmeeds to be answered. Right now, gopobally the US wpuld run the Chiens efleet into the bottom of the sea. Globally. Regionally, at Chinese homeland - that is somehtign diferent, and China more and more clearly decides which colours will be played this round. The last summit between that Chiense and American delegation the video mentions, was a disgrace for the US, an open and unhidden gauntlet thrown at Blinken's face. I recall when I saw the news reporting it, and I thought "Damn."

The Chinese do not just want to play.

I give the US the advantage in training, combat experience, and leadership. But i think the chinese have learned from the third Vietnam war. They had high losses, yes, still delivered Vietnam a punishment, showing it its place. That shows that they can see a war through even if it runs not well for them. Its long time ago now, and they have moved on from there, no doubt. And I cannot see that their military is as corrupt as the Russian military obviously is. So the money they spend on it most likely has been much better used than it was used in Russia. Also, they spend more. Much more. Their military buildup over the past 20, 30 years, was breathtaking.
Old 05-11-22, 03:45 PM   #30
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

I found this page

https://chinapower.csis.org/military-spending/

Secondly and this is up to Skybird

That we merge this thread here with his Chn-thread.

What do you say we combine these two thread created by you ?

Markus