Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-21-22, 11:02 PM   #2371
USS CUTTHROAT SS-365
Watch

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Default Howdy!

Hello!

My name is Alan, and I'm from Denver, CO, home of the USS Grayling Memorial.

I've always been interested in the Pacific Submarine Campaigns of WW II, both the US and the IJN, ever since I read about the exploits of Wahoo in Richard O'Kane's book of the same name. I still own the paperback I purchased at the school Book Fair in the mid 70's!

I'm particularly interested in the daily life aboard these Fleet Submarines, how the Crew passed their time on board during War Patrols, and for some quirky reason, the Food!

I've just loaded a stark Vanilla version of Silent Hunter 4 on my Laptop, and am interested in learning all I can about the 'Sim'.

Found the SubSim Forum via Bing, as I'm searching for an 'Ultimate' Tutorial Guide that will assist me in the 'basics' of just moving about the SH Enivironment, starting out with just getting the Boat moving in the Navigation Tutorial. I don't even know if such a Tutorial even exists!

So, meet me in the Crew's Mess during the Midwatch and say hello; the Cribbage board is ready, and the coffee's hot as I'm chowing down on some 'Pillows of Death'!

Hope to meet you folks soon.

Alan
USS CUTTHROAT SS-365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-22, 08:00 AM   #2372
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Hi, buddy and welcome; you'll find tutorials and mods for every kind of sub sim ever invented here

To get a good quota of the free downloads you should post a few times to unlock your entitlement. Post anywhere, in any of the forums here - and there are loads - and you'll meet some great new friends along the way
Old 05-02-22, 05:15 AM   #2373
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Here's a photo of me on board a ship (RMS Rakaia) during a school trip in 1966
Old 05-02-22, 12:00 PM   #2374
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by USS CUTTHROAT SS-365 View Post
Hello!

My name is Alan, and I'm from Denver, CO, home of the USS Grayling Memorial.
When it comes to submarine memorials...
Reaaly weird: one of my ATM techs actually served on the USS Hawkbill(666) which he referred to as "the devilfish"! Apparently submariners all have the same sense of decidedly fatalistic irreligious humor: U-666's first conning tower emblem as opposed to my own avatar (#2): sunk with all hands: Feb 10,1944

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-22, 01:18 PM   #2375
ArdentAvenger
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 1
Default Old fart help needed alert!

Hi guys. I am a 50 year old Royal Navy veteran who has sadly become physically disabled and pretty much housebound over the last two years. I used to game many years ago and during my enforced not going out time have been watching a lot of YouTube vids about Silent Hunter 3. I have bought it for old times sake on steam and love it, but my manky eyes aren’t what they were and would love to play in a modern resolution with some of the mods I’ve been watching. However I am a complete idiot with computers and have no idea how to mod. Please can anyone help me? I would be happy with a widescreen mod in vanilla for now but eventually want Grey Wolves. Where do I find them and how do I do it? I’m even happy to pay in tea and bacon sandwiches if someone local to me could come and do it for me. Thanks guys.
ArdentAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-22, 02:43 PM   #2376
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default Welcome aboard!

ArdentAvenger!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 05-27-22, 08:59 PM   #2377
THB_TX
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Hello from Texas, USA!

Ahoy all! Just heard about this forum and had to join. I began with Silent Service and FS (before it became MSFS) back on my IBM PCjr way back in the day. I've played various Sub and Flight simlators. Just purchased UBoat and SH4. Finally some time to get back under the water. Fair winds to all!

THB
Old 05-28-22, 01:34 PM   #2378
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArdentAvenger View Post
Hi guys. I am a 50 year old Royal Navy veteran who has sadly become physically disabled and pretty much housebound over the last two years. I used to game many years ago and during my enforced not going out time have been watching a lot of YouTube vids about Silent Hunter 3. I have bought it for old times sake on steam and love it, but my manky eyes aren’t what they were and would love to play in a modern resolution with some of the mods I’ve been watching. However I am a complete idiot with computers and have no idea how to mod. Please can anyone help me? I would be happy with a widescreen mod in vanilla for now but eventually want Grey Wolves. Where do I find them and how do I do it? I’m even happy to pay in tea and bacon sandwiches if someone local to me could come and do it for me. Thanks guys.
Welcome to the community

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-22, 01:34 PM   #2379
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by THB_TX View Post
Ahoy all! Just heard about this forum and had to join. I began with Silent Service and FS (before it became MSFS) back on my IBM PCjr way back in the day. I've played various Sub and Flight simlators. Just purchased UBoat and SH4. Finally some time to get back under the water. Fair winds to all!

THB
Welcome Aboard

Old 05-28-22, 11:39 PM   #2380
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Welcome aboard!

THB_TX!

Old 05-31-22, 10:34 AM   #2381
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default Me with my old mum in 1983

Old 06-27-22, 12:25 AM   #2382
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

I'll re-ask, anybody here in New York? I'm in the Capitol Region.
Old 07-25-22, 10:39 PM   #2383
jedipsycho
Depth charge magnet

Downloads: 13

Been a long time lurker, and I do mean a long time, like back when The Grey Wolves was first released for SH3. Played all kinds of PC games since the KayPro 2 days (look that one up, you young whipper snappers!) and got the itch to come back to SH3 recently. Played Jane's 688i back in the day, and that’s what got me into subsims, but I have a wide range of games I enjoy.

In real life I am an information security analyst for a major university, a husband and a father of four kids and 4 dogs.

Thanks for letting me join the fleet! I hope you don't regret it!

Last edited by jedipsycho; 07-25-22 at 10:49 PM.
jedipsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-22, 08:02 AM   #2384
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedipsycho View Post
Been a long time lurker, and I do mean a long time, like back when The Grey Wolves was first released for SH3. Played all kinds of PC games since the KayPro 2 days (look that one up, you young whipper snappers!) and got the itch to come back to SH3 recently. Played Jane's 688i back in the day, and that’s what got me into subsims, but I have a wide range of games I enjoy.

In real life I am an information security analyst for a major university, a husband and a father of four kids and 4 dogs.

Thanks for letting me join the fleet! I hope you don't regret it!
Welcome Aboard

Old 07-26-22, 11:07 AM   #2385
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Welcome aboard!

jedipsycho!