SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-18-20, 05:12 AM   #1
Rosomaha
Loader

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 1
Default C3-class cargo ship

C3-class cargo ship (SH5-edition)

The model I once made for SH4, in turn was remade from the SH3 unit. And now in SH5. The SH5-files of the NAMC_Rawalpindi unit were used as the "bones-donor". GR2-files underwent a major redesign, which resulted in a complete independent SH5-unit.

Model: made up of 2 parts: hull-1/2.

Damage-Model: Damage architecture is based on Liberty/Victory and similar Cargo typ. I used only native types of "Zones" stock SH5 (v1.2.0). I understand that they are imperfect, and I do not like the SH5-“fireworks” either, but it was important to create a unit that is completely consistent with SH5, so everything in it is identical to the native units and is made in their image and likeness. But it is not difficult for any to change in GoblinEditorApp for every taste, color, mod.
Insert/replace in mods: I remember that in mega-mods there was already NKC3 based on .dat-files and SH3-4 architecture

, so I tried to save the main unit tags : NKC3/C3Cargo for soft adaptation to mods.

Weapons/eqp: the Guns are installed by me approximately, with the replacement of cargo boxes by time periods, you can edit more accurately.

I have experienced the ship in the ocean quite a bit, of course, may be bugs and fixes, so test and feedback is welcome.

NKC3 is registered in 2 countries: American, British. But you can easily add to any other countries in the Roster folder.

Added objects: weapons platforms and cargo elements for mutual substitution at an Early War. Objects and their registration in the equipment of the ship:

Mod: Archive with folder for JSGME/ MODS.

Remember to add a name to Silent Hunter 5\data\Poster\ Names.cfg if you decide to add NKC 3 to your mod build.

If you want to try right now NKC3 in gigamodes where NKC3 vSH3 is already present-replace the old folder completely, i.e. deleting all old files, without leaving tails. Also note the files in \data\Roster.

Screenshots there:

Used Software: Autodesk 3ds Max, Adobe Photoshop, GR2EditorViewer v.1.1.453/1.1.459.1, Hex Workshop, GoblinEditor, S3D-CFG and other.

DOWNLOAD

(UPDATED 06-09-2020)

Last edited by Rosomaha; 06-09-20 at 09:05 AM.
Rosomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-20, 05:43 AM   #2
GrenSo
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 580
Uploads: 7

Looks nice!

“Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind.” - J.F.K.
GrenSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-20, 06:05 AM   #3
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Uploads: 3

Great job

I'm at work at the moment, but I'll check it out later and post some feedback.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-20, 06:31 AM   #4
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

She looks beautiful!
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-20, 03:18 PM   #5
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

@Rosomaha,

Some feedback:

- I like the damage model, it may just use native zones but the ship behaves very believably when hit: listing, breaking up and sinking in a way one would expect from a ship this size. Amazing job!

- Since you gave it the same class name as existing dat version in TWoS, it works right out of the box in TWoS after just substituting your Sea/NKC3 folder for TWoS one.
In stock game, you would probably also need to add modified Names.txt as this file is not in your download and stock Names.txt don't contain this ship.

- If you'd like your ship to support SH5 randomly generated deck cargo, I suggest to rename deck cargo bones from cfg#Y01,cfg#Y02... to cfg#K01,cfg#K02... and so on. If you do that, SH5 will recognize them as places for deck cargo and randomly assign various items (tanks, trains, cars, crates etc) without need to define them in cfg file:

Old 05-18-20, 03:29 PM   #6
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Nice work!
Old 05-19-20, 12:43 PM   #7
Rosomaha
Loader

Uploads: 1

Hi, kapuhy. Thank you for the good feedback!

FX-model: To be honest, half of the FX_XX_DummyXX positions are not finished, there were too many of Them in the source file and I was tired of coordinating them according to the places where the new model matches. Perhaps later I will finish and update _FX. GR2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
- Since you gave it the same class name as existing dat version in TWoS, it works right out of the box in TWoS after just substituting your Sea/NKC3 folder for TWoS one...
This is good news, I counted on it. I guess that in stock (vanilla) SH5 probably almost no one plays now. The ship will naturally go into any G-Mod/s, and I try to make this process as simple as possible.

Names: Yes. I intentionally did not add Names.txt, in other mods my Names.txt - anyway there change / add.
I practically do not play the game. I'm in the process of creating units / mod. But I try to do this process in a pure (vanil) game environment - it’s like “experiments in a sterile environment” in order to exclude the influence of possible extra acquired errors. - just It tells why I work on the pure (vanil) version.)

By the way, I see a lot of TWoS-threads, and I don’t know which of them people mostly play. Which version of TWoS is the most current right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
- If you'd like your ship to support SH5 randomly generated deck cargo, I suggest to rename deck cargo bones from cfg#Y01,cfg#Y02... to cfg#K01,cfg#K02... and so on. If you do that, SH5 will recognize them as places for deck cargo and randomly assign various items (tanks, trains, cars, crates etc) without need to define them in cfg file:
Good. As I understand it, the generation of cfg # K0X cargo does not occur in the Museum, but the cargo will appear in the Campaign. Does it happen in Single Missions?
Rosomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-20, 01:02 PM   #8
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Thank you for the mod! Works well with The Wolves of Steel mega mod!

Sank my first C3-Cargo yesterday, enough for me to complete the "South Western Approaches" mission

I really appreciate your hard work, Rosomaha.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!

Last edited by Texas Red; 05-19-20 at 01:10 PM.
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-20, 01:49 PM   #9
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosomaha View Post
By the way, I see a lot of TWoS-threads, and I don’t know which of them people mostly play. Which version of TWoS is the most current right now?
Most recent version is 2.2.18 for which you'll find a download link here:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...ostcount=13129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosomaha View Post
Good. As I understand it, the generation of cfg # K0X cargo does not occur in the Museum, but the cargo will appear in the Campaign. Does it happen in Single Missions?
As far as I understand it, in campaign they are generated in the process of generating convoy groups. In single missions, they need to be defined in Mission Editor during mission creation. If you want to test them, make a single mission with just player's U-boat and your cargo ship and select "external cargo" type in cargo ship's properties. If you then play this mission, ship will carry the cargo type you defined (that's exactly how I took screenshots above).
Old 05-21-20, 06:04 PM   #10
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Well done Rosomaha!

Thank you for sharing your great work with the community
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-20, 10:16 PM   #11
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Nice job. The textures are much better than the standard C3 from SHIII.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-20, 12:14 AM   #12
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Nice job. The textures are much better than the standard C3 from SHIII.
I agree, rosomaha made a great job with those textures, though I think that the pre-rendered shadows could be a bit better.
Old 05-23-20, 05:46 PM   #13
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

I go with what the Dev's told me about how to do the AO.
Pretty sure I've disclosed that info in the past but can do so again if needed.
Old 05-24-20, 04:56 AM   #14
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
I go with what the Dev's told me about how to do the AO.
Pretty sure I've disclosed that info in the past but can do so again if needed.
Hi Jeff,

If memory serves you once pointed me to Autodesk Softimage, which is the tool I always use for AO map baking BTW. Is there anything else we should be aware of?
Old 05-25-20, 11:45 AM   #15
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

What I was told by the Dev's

":One of the problems we encountered while doing this was the fact that generating automatic uv’s in max is poor and so is the map rendering(AO and others) . Mapping the ships two times(once for AO and once for Diff) was not an option for us. XSI is doing a great job on generating automatic uv’s and AO.
The workflow we used for the ships from SH5 :
-modeling in max
-exporting it to Softimage XSI(use the format ’.obj’)
-generating UV’s in XSI (is called ‘unique uv’s’)
-rendering AO (in XSI)
-exporting it to max(use the format ’.obj’)
-mapping the diffuse texture on channel 1 , but before mapping the diff you need to copy the AO uv’s channel on channel 2
This procedure can be time consuming since you will have to map every single identical piece on the ship(when mapping diffuse). You cannot delete a single polygon(while mapping diff) and duplicate a mapped one instead because every single polygon has his own mapping coordinates for AO.

You can also use this method, which is faster:
-modeling in max
-mapping the diffuse channel in max(channel 1)
-exporting it to XSI(use the format ’.obj’)
-generating uv’s for AO (channel 1 is already mapped for diffuse, make sure you use channel 2)
-rendering AO (make sure you select uv channel 2 for geberating AO)
-this part is a bit harder. The ‘.obj’ won’t export 2 uv channels . In order to export the object back to max with both uv channels you need to export the object from XSI twice(use ‘.obj’). The first time with the uv’s used for diffuse on channel 1, and the second export you are going to make is with the uv’s for AO on channel 1. In XSI you can move the uv’s from channel 2 to channel 1 by deleting channel 1.
So now you have 2 obj files , one mapped for diff and the other one mapped for AO
-import the the .obj file mapped for diff back in max
-import the the .obj file mapped for AO back in max
-save the uv channel of the object mapped for AO and copy it to the second uv channel of the object mapped for diff."

Now the Devs exported in the GR2 format so you skip the import back into Max.