Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-15-19, 03:54 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Never get lost again

Great idea, I like it. I wonder if German services know and use it as well. I check it for possible abuse, however: tracking people 24/7 has become so widespread these days...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-49319760
Old 08-16-19, 12:20 AM   #2
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Someone brought this up some time ago on a navigation forum I frequent. One member pointed out that there has been a similar attempt by Google - they call it "Open Location Code" [OLC] or "plus code". Just go to Google maps and look up a location. There will be a "plus code" off to the side. For example: the plus code for the Eiffel Tower is "V75V+8Q Paris, France".

And there have been a few other systems in use for quite a long time - such as the "Maidenhead Locator System" used by amateur radio operators.

The thing is: none of these systems ever seem to catch on. They are just another way of expressing the same information as latitude and longitude. The only difference being that most people are already familiar with the latter ... the ever-increasing use of GPS not being the least cause. And since practically all position reporting devices use as an input and output their data in latitude and longitude coordinates, converting to yet another notation and back again begins to look like an unnecessary, even obfuscating step in the process.

This is evidenced by the need to download an additional app just to tell you what your "three words" are. If you are lost in a remote area, will you be able to even get a data connection to get the app? Or would it be simpler to just open the [most likely already installed on your phone] mapping/GPS app and report your latitude and longitude to your potential rescuers over a radio (which you should have if you had planned to go to some remote location with no cell service)? Or simply look at your dedicated GPS and get the coordinates from there? And what if your rescuers are unable - for whatever reason - to translate your three words into a sensible location? "Slurs.this.shark" tells me absolutely nothing about the location being referred to. However, "51°30′12″N 0°07′39″W" gives me a pretty good idea of where to look - even without consulting a map or GPS.

"What three words" has been around for a while now. And this is only the second time I have ever heard mention of it. If it helps save lives - great! I just don't see it catching on any better than all of the other attempts at replacing lat./lon.
Old 08-16-19, 03:07 AM   #3
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Icon14

I think this is generally a good idea, for rescue and emergency situations of all kinds. A lt of people are not always used to lat/lon (Gauss-Krüger) coordinates, heck even i would not be able to give exact position coordinates of where i am, especially when in a dire situation.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-19, 04:51 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I do not use Google Maps, but Osmand. Osmand needs no active connection all the time, and they do not track me like Google does (all the time). For locating my position, I need GPS, which is completely passive, and that is what Osmand does (Ican also store maps indefinetly on my device, whereas Google makes that complicated and also deletes all stored maps if you have not used them for 2 or 4 weeks). Finally, map quality of OSmand is superior to Google. Far superior.

Now, GPS gives you GPS coordinates. Many people are not familiar with the format. What software like the one I linked to does, is translating GPS coordinates into a much easier-to-catch format: instead of long complicated numbers, three words. And that is much easier to store in your memory, and is easier to handle for people not familiar with tech stuff, navigatio and GPS coordinates.

Since in emergencies time can be of the essence, this is a big win for the one in need.

They say the car industry uses this system, Mercedes for example.
Old 08-16-19, 05:18 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
I think this is generally a good idea, for rescue and emergency situations of all kinds. A lt of people are not always used to lat/lon (Gauss-Krüger) coordinates, heck even i would not be able to give exact position coordinates of where i am, especially when in a dire situation.
Agreed

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-19, 12:40 PM   #6
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I never get lost...

...people are always telling me where to go...

<O>