Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 05-22-10, 09:57 PM   #61
frinik
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default HD4350.

KC after posting I checked the specs of the ATI XFX HD4350.As I suspected there was a confusion in how you read it.It offers 8 Gbs of band memory not of graphic memory.That´s what it says on the website.

There are 2 types of HD4350, one with 512 mbs( the cheapest at $ 40 probably) of video memory and the other with 1024 more expensive).

For $ 30 more you get double the video memory so if you can afford it go for the model at $ 70 this way you won´t have to upgrade in 6 or 7 months and prices may go up.

All in all both are pretty decent cards.
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 02:45 PM   #62
morttheslayer
Soundman

Hi KC hope things are getting better - now for your GPU!

Hi Darren
You're getting lots of good advice and I would just add a couple of things. If you are new to upgrading; don't worry we all started being new once!!

So you don't waste your money I see the size of the GPU is given in the specs; so measure the existing length of your GForce FX5200 GPU and make sure the replacement will actually fit in the slot and clear any other components before you get it. Sometimes you can live with a bit of "overhang" (i.e. card has to extend out of the rear of the case slightly. But if it means the card is obstructed within the case by other components on the motherboard that cannot be moved/relocated you're immediately checkmated.

Also check the power required (I see the constraint in the spec you posted said 300Watt Min) so check your power supply (label on the unit somewhere or get model number etc and Google it). Some later cards require another auxilliary power cable plug-in to get enough juice!!
Most power supplys should be 300 watts (plus) but with your luck lately it might be a 25Watt unit -- only joking mate!!

Anyway All the best - Morty
morttheslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 03:26 PM   #63
KnightsCross
Bosun

Thanks Gents
I'm learning all this on the run and slowly getting there
I use my Sons pc and will be taking him to hospital on Tues, so I will have a good talk to him about it then. He is much better but still in a lot of pain and still has no memory of the accident
Keep well, cheers
Darren
Old 05-26-10, 10:30 AM   #64
KnightsCross
Bosun

Default Tip on reading the key code

PS Tip
When i got my copy of TvsT I could not read the key code even with my glasses and a magnifying glass so I took a picture of it with my digital camera and woolah !! I could see it fine and I cropped & saved the image for later ref.

Sometimes we do things at home and don't realize that these things can be a help to others also. This was my only way to be able to read the key code. I have recently got reading glasses for the first time and I love them. I never thought I needed reading classes and I was also told I have better than 20/20 vision as I could read the smallest line at a distance.
I am reading [for the second time, I read it in 2007] Tiger Ace, The story of Micheal Wittmann and it great with my glasses

Last edited by KnightsCross; 05-26-10 at 12:02 PM.
KnightsCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 11:22 AM   #65
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightsCross View Post
PS Tip
When i got my copy of TvsT I could not read the key code even with my glasses and a magnifying glass so I took a picture of it with my digital camera and woolah !! I could see it fine and I saved the image for later ref.

Sometimes we do things at home and don't realize that these things can be a help to others also. This was my only way to be able to read the key code. I have recently got reading glasses for the first time and I love them. I never thought I needed reading classes and I was also told I have better than 20/20 vision as I could read the smallest line at a distance.
I am reading [for the second time, I read it in 2007] Tiger Ace, The story of Micheal Wittmann and it great with my glasses

Wow that's a GREAT IDEA KC!

Never thought of that,

ZW

ZeeWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 12:01 PM   #66
KnightsCross
Bosun

TANKS Zee
Just thought I'd let you know I am upgrading my pc to handle your mods and then will be another proud member of yours I'm the type of person that likes to know what I'm doing, so I take my time to get it right. Being on the pension I also make sure I spend my money wisely as I can't afford to mistakes with hard saved money. I make many things because I can't afford the real thing. for e.g. I've made Swords, Armour, clothing and jewelery for my wedding and hired a hall and completely decked it out with my Wife and our home made stuff, she also made the dresses. Our guests still say that it was one of the best Weddings they had been to. I seemed to have got right of my tracks here.....oh well I'll shut up now

Cheers
Darren
KnightsCross
Old 06-13-10, 03:22 AM   #67
KnightsCross
Bosun

G'Day to All
I found this card for $55 including post
I will most likely get this one, what do you guys think ? will it run on my pc ?
Just thought I'd say hi and see what you think
hope you're all well

XFX RADEON HD 4350 1GB GDDR2 PCI-Express Video Card

ATI Radeon™ HD 4350

Home Theater PC Enthusiasts: Step Forward.

If full-speed Blu-Ray playback and HDMI Audio 7.1 capabilities are your thing, then the XFX ATI Radeon HD4350 is your card. Offering 8GB of memory bandwidth paired with DDR2 memory, this low-profile card fits in almost any case or motherboard designed to have a PCI Express video card in it.
KEY FEATURES

• Unified Superscalar Shader Architecture
• Accelerated Video Transcoding (AVT)
• 80 Stream Processing Units
• ATI PowerPlay™ Technology
• DirectX 10.1 Support
• Low Profile Compatible
• HDCP Capable
• ATI Hypermemory
• PCI Express 2.0
Old 06-13-10, 03:45 AM   #68
Chucky
Planesman

Downloads: 90

I would hold fire on that card mate,it's PCI Express.If I remember rightly you were running a FX5200? I thought they were AGP and PCI only?
Just check to make sure your motherboard supports PCI Express.
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 04:07 AM   #69
KnightsCross
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
I would hold fire on that card mate,it's PCI Express.If I remember rightly you were running a FX5200? I thought they were AGP and PCI only?
Just check to make sure your motherboard supports PCI Express.
Tanks Chucky
yes I have got a FX5200
Which type should I look for ?

Windows XP
Home edition
Service Pack 3
AMD Athlon(tm)
1.15GHz,512MB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Audio Codecs
Vidio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Vidio Capure Devices
Virtual Memory 766MB Recommended, 1536MB Allocated
C drive has 149GB ,30GB Free
Old 06-13-10, 05:30 AM   #70
Chucky
Planesman

Downloads: 90

I suggest you either dig out your motherboard manual (if you have one) and check out the specs,or open the case and have a look at the slots,or find out the motherboard type.

This pic shows the different slot types,you should be able to work out what you have....

Then you will know what cards you can look at purchasing.Best of luck mate

Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-10, 09:57 AM   #71
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default Processor and RAM

Kc I don't want to sound like a party poop but your processor is awfully slow with barely 1.15 gigahertz????? Coupling such a great graphic card to such a slow processor is akin to putting a Toyota Corolla or a FIAT engine in Porsche or Ferrari body. You'll have all the beautiful flashy car body with paltry engine performances.You need a processor with at least 2.4 gigahertz otherwise you'll be enjoying your games in beautiful slow motion.... You're also low on RAM I would advise minimum 2 gbs of RAM (3 or 4 would be best).

What makes games and downloads run well, fast and flawlessly are basically these 3 essential ingredients; processor, RAM and graphic card.

Cheers
Old 06-14-10, 07:19 AM   #72
KnightsCross
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinik View Post
Kc I don't want to sound like a party poop but your processor is awfully slow with barely 1.15 gigahertz????? Coupling such a great graphic card to such a slow processor is akin to putting a Toyota Corolla or a FIAT engine in Porsche or Ferrari body. You'll have all the beautiful flashy car body with paltry engine performances.You need a processor with at least 2.4 gigahertz otherwise you'll be enjoying your games in beautiful slow motion.... You're also low on RAM I would advise minimum 2 gbs of RAM (3 or 4 would be best).

What makes games and downloads run well, fast and flawlessly are basically these 3 essential ingredients; processor, RAM and graphic card.

Cheers
Tanks Mate
I think I will just have to save my ass off until I can afford something better

Thanks to everyone for your excellent advice
I have been able to play TvsT much better albeit with slow fps[2 to 5] with your help and I am very grateful to you all

Darren
Old 06-14-10, 10:19 PM   #73
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default PC Performance

KC, For an extra 2 gbs of RAM you'll probably pay $ 75.00 as for a faster processor $ 125 so count a maximum of $ 200.00 although you could probably find something decent around $ 150.00. Just 1 extra Gb of RAM and a 2.2 ghtz processor would give your games a big boost especially with your new graphic card.
Old 06-17-10, 02:51 PM   #74
KnightsCross
Bosun

Which one

Hi Gents
I have been saving for a new pc and have saved $300 in the last 3 months, half way to one of these below. I was wondering if someone could tell me the difference with these 2 pc's and if they would be good for our games. They are the same price I just don't know what makes them tick, although they seem to both have the things that I have learnt from all the advice given by you all so far. Thank you again for your advice, I think I'm now on the right track.
Cheers
Darren

AMD X4 Quad Core 630 4G DDR3 500G (4GB 500GB) 22" LCD

$698Au

ASROCK N68-S3 M/B
Supports AMD Phenom/Athlon/ Sempron processors
Supports high performance Dual Channel DDR3 1600(O.C) memory upto 8GB
Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce 7025/nForce 630a

• AMD AM3 Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz CPU
  • 4GB DDR3 RAM
  • 500GB SATA HDD
  • Dual Layer DVD Burner
  • ASROCK N68-S3 Motherboard
  • Nero DVD/CD Burning Software
  • Norton Internet Security (3 Month Trial)
  • 22" LCD Screen
  • Keyboard and optical mouse
  • No Operating System
  • Power Cable
  • All necessary drivers for installation

Intel Dual Core E5400 4GB DDR3 500GB/4G 500G GT210 22"

$698Au

• Intel Dual Core E5400 2.7GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB SATA HDD, GIGABYTE G41MT-ES2L MotherBoard, DVD Burner
  • Nvidia GT210 512MB Video Card
  • 22" LCD Monitor
  • Keyboard and optical mouse
  • NO OPERATING SYSTEM
  • Nero DVD/CD Burning Software
  • DVD Playing Software
  • Norton Internet Security (3 Month Subscription)
  • Power Cable
  • All necessary drivers, CDs and manuals
Old 06-17-10, 11:13 PM   #75
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default Choice of PC

Overall they're both pretty similar even in price however I would give the edge to the first one but only if you can swap the Nvidia Ge Force 7025/630 graphic card for another one.Didn't you buy a brand new ATI HD4670?If yes then it would be perfect as the Nvidia 7025/630a is an older generation card which does not support Enhanced video and would definitely be a stepback game-wise.

With the first one you can expand your RAM to 8 gbs which the number 2 pc does not appear to offer.This is good.The processor is slightly faster on the first one too; 2.8 vs 2.7 gghtz

You would need to have an OS though that would help with downloads and stuff.You can always recycle your old XP or get a free Linux-type system if you don't feel like buying Windows 7.

For these reasons my choice would be number 1.

Cheers