SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-01-08, 02:50 AM   #16
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRH
i just ordered a new Dell notebook with a 128mb nvidia GeForce 8400m GS in it. Does anyone know about this card? Good enough for SH3?
it shouldn't have much of a problem with SH3, and it is a discrete chip (it has its own memory so it dosn't hog up the system's RAM) and some forms of it support HDMI. It does pale in comparison to an 8600 or 8800 but compared to like an Nvidia 6150 or an Intel X3100 its not bad, if you throw crazy new stuff at it, its hard to say. If your card does need more than 128mb for any reason it will start dipping into the ram but thats how all the newer discrete chips are anyways.
Old 05-01-08, 02:53 AM   #17
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBMAN1
Quote:
Originally Posted by trongey
If you're using the integrated graphics processor that came with the machine then that's probably where you need to spend your money. The integrated stuff is always way underpowered....
Not always. Check the 780G chipset from AMD. Probably the first integrated GPU that doesn't suck.

-S
I dunno, I have a bit of respect for some of the newer integrated chipsets. My HP with a GeForce 6150 played FSX reasonably well (unlike what you think you'd get out of an IGP it didn't chug or chop the image, and no crazy refocusing either) but it wasn't long before I droped somthing else in there.
Old 05-01-08, 03:32 AM   #18
Flappy
Swabbie

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRH
i just ordered a new Dell notebook with a 128mb nvidia GeForce 8400m GS in it. Does anyone know about this card? Good enough for SH3?

My HP 6768se has that card and after moving off of a Radeon Xpress200M it's quite an improvement. If you use GWX be sure to activate the "lite harbor traffic" in JSGME and you should be fine. It runs fairly well considering its an integrated solution.

edit: Woops just noticed you've got the 128mb flavor, I've got the 256....ymmv but I've heard it performs adequately in F.E.A.R which I would think to be a bit more demanding graphics-wise than SH3. Also, there are some tweaked drivers out there that "Might" help -linkage-http://laptopvideo2go.com/

Last edited by Flappy; 05-01-08 at 03:56 AM.
Flappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 08:27 AM   #19
BRH
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

thanks! i have heard that there are better drivers than the ones dell uses, that will be the first thing i do! Also it comes with 2 gig of ram, i think i might upgrade to 4 gig and hope that helps to.
BRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 12:32 PM   #20
Flappy
Swabbie

Downloads: 28

The other thing you might try is to use the clean install for Vista method posted over at notebookreview -linkage- http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=120228

Hope this helps, it worked a treat for my HP.

Also, NEVER let windows install an updated video driver as they almost always break stuff.

Sorry to hijack,back into lurk mode for me then.......