SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-27-08, 11:46 AM   #1
sonar732
The Old Man

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default Linux Options

Ok...

In leu of the dual boot os's topic, I've decided to revamp some reading of mine into different Linux distro's. For instance, in my collection I have RH 7.2 Publisher Edition, Mandrake 8.1 (since changed to Mandriva...I know), Ubuntu Christian Edition, Ubuntu 6.06, Sun 10, and finally Fedora Core 6.

The machines that I have are some classics.

Packard Bell 300mhz, 32 mb ram, 3.2 gb hd, one nic, and with 160w p/s.

Homebuilt #1 Slot 1 450mhz, 128 mb ram, 10 gb hd, two nics, and with 250w p/s.

Homebuilt #2 K6 400mhz, 320 mb ram, 6.4 gb hd, one nic, and 250w p/s.

Soyo SY-K7VME based barebone with 350w p/s.

Dell Dimension 2300 1.8Ghz, 256mb ram, 30gb hd, one nic, and 250w p/s XP Home.

Homebuilt #3 AMD 2800+, 512mb ram, 60gb & 80gb hd's, onboard nic, and 500w p/s with XP Pro.

The internet set up I have is a 4.0 DSL with a 4 port router. My plan was to create a W98SE machine with HB #2 as I have a pre-schooler and a few 'learning games'. This machine wouldn't be connected to the net at all.

The Soyo will be the main Linux box with LAMP and Joomla installed being used as a proxy with Ubuntu CE. The other two old boxes will probably have Mandrake 8.1 and RH 7.2 on them for testing.

Your thoughts...
sonar732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 12:05 PM   #2
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0

How much do you want to get your hands dirty is the real question? Ubuntu will keep your hands fairly clean, though I believe it is based on GNome as its main GUI which in my opinion is no where near the best choice. KDE is a much better GUI all around.

Kubuntu is the version of Unbuntu that you probably want since it is based on KDE. You can achieve the same thing though by loading Ubuntu and adding KDE later, but Kubuntu has it all built in.

Mandrake - I used to use this ages ago, and it is easy, but I think it has seen its day.

Slackware is the middle ground. Its more a hackers OS though and it will get you familiar with command line commands more than the two above.

SUN10 - never used it and I don't know much about it personally. Probably pure Unix. Have fun with that.

Fedora - Basically free Red Hat. It is popular from a server perspective. Not sure you want to run it as a desktop OS however. You can freely use RPM pacakages with it though which makes it brainless to add new software to it.

Now if you really want to get your hands dirty and understand the core of Linux (Or the hidden things that any OS has in it), and you want you system to run faster than any other Linux OS or if you want your system to be as bloat free and customly tailored as possible, Gentoo is your answer. Gentoo is the only Linux OS I run at home. I have 2 systems running it and it is so customized, I compiled all code from the ground up (otherwise known as a stage 1 install or developers install). It is so customized, the OS as configured will not run on any other system than the one it is installed on. This leaves me with minimal hard drive use, minimal kernel size, minimal bloat, and I have compiled all of the speed options built into my hardware and use it all.

An example - I have it running on an X2 4400+ AMD, so I compiled in SSE, SSE2, SSE3, AMD3DNow, MMX, 64 bit, Multithreaded, ....... You get the idea. TO compare to Microsoft - they compile against i386.

Get the idea? Problem is, Gentoo will frustrate the hell out of you before you get it optimally tweaked, and it will take tremendous time since you compile all your own code. You could get a base system installed pretty quickly though, but forget getting a GUI installed quickly.

Since this is your first go around, I'd say go with Kubuntu. Just my 2 cents.

-S
Old 02-27-08, 03:27 PM   #3
silentrunner
Watch Officer

Thanks for the topic Sonar. After looking into the big distro's I decide to use Fedora core 6 which I consider an allaround well running os.

silentrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 06:11 PM   #4
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentrunner
Thanks for the topic Sonar. After looking into the big distro's I decide to use Fedora core 6 which I consider an allaround well running os.
Have you tried the Ubuntu series? It seems to be the best desktop OS right now from the Linux camp. Fedora would be better off in a server box in my opinion since that is what its core design was based on, though making it into a desktop is also possible and useable.

-S
Old 02-27-08, 06:12 PM   #5
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Here are the current versions of Linux and you can see what each includes:

http://distrowatch.com/

-S
Old 02-27-08, 06:14 PM   #6
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Go Ubuntu. Windows users are changing to this OS big time. Never used it, a mandrake and SuSe linux user from long ago but if i were to go linux again i would choose Ubuntu.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 07:06 PM   #7
sonar732
The Old Man

How about your thoughts of my Soyo box being the main Linux system? Back in 2006, I developed our church website using Joomla on BlueHost. Since moving from Quincy late that year, my web admin duties eluded me to the secretary who went to godaddy since she couldn't understand the inner workings of Joomla.

Now that I'm on 4mb dsl and wanting to peek into Apache, I've found quite a few other options that help on the LAMP side.

Apachefriends.org with How-To install located on IBM site

The basis of my desire for apache is for the virtual host option of creating another website within apache. I want to create two websites. One for family and friends to look at for updates, the other for my plan to create my own computer consulting business here in Central Missouri.

Sooo many choices.
Old 02-27-08, 08:03 PM   #8
silentrunner
Watch Officer

Ubuntu looks nice... might have to try it.

silentrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 09:08 PM   #9
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonar732
How about your thoughts of my Soyo box being the main Linux system? Back in 2006, I developed our church website using Joomla on BlueHost. Since moving from Quincy late that year, my web admin duties eluded me to the secretary who went to godaddy since she couldn't understand the inner workings of Joomla.

Now that I'm on 4mb dsl and wanting to peek into Apache, I've found quite a few other options that help on the LAMP side.

Apachefriends.org with How-To install located on IBM site

The basis of my desire for apache is for the virtual host option of creating another website within apache. I want to create two websites. One for family and friends to look at for updates, the other for my plan to create my own computer consulting business here in Central Missouri.

Sooo many choices.
Linux runs on anything. For the Soyo box (I assume exteemely slow), I'd go with a minimal system. Damn Small Linux is a good choice (Though hide the name from your church goers!), and is designed to run on older hardware.

Gentoo is also a good choice since you can compile to any hardware you want, but probably not a great choice for a first timer. To give you an idea though, my main server in this house only draws 17 Watts of power (Its on 24/7, so low power is a must), and it runs Gentoo Linux. It has a relatively slow Power PC 266 MHz CPU and 128 MB of RAM. So it is possible to have a decent Linux OS running on underpowered hardware, and you won't even really notice how under-powered your hardware is if you leave the bloat behind.

-S
Old 02-27-08, 09:39 PM   #10
sonar732
The Old Man

The Soyo box was purchased in 2004 with a decent spec back then of the type of processor. Shoot, if I was able to get my RH 7.2 to run on the 400 mhz...

Athlon XP: 1800+ - 3000+
Duron: 1.3GHz - 1.8 GHz

I'll download and install the Gentoo on my old Packard Bell 300 mhz.
Old 02-27-08, 09:43 PM   #11
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonar732
The Soyo box was purchased in 2004 with a decent spec back then of the type of processor. Shoot, if I was able to get my RH 7.2 to run on the 400 mhz...

Athlon XP: 1800+ - 3000+
Duron: 1.3GHz - 1.8 GHz

I'll download and install the Gentoo on my old Packard Bell 300 mhz.
I hope you're either the tinkerer type that likes a challenge or want to know the internals to Linux - that is what you are getting into with Gentoo - no joke. On a fast system, it will take you a weekend practically to get a GUI (Graphical User Interface - a windows like look). Just warning you.

-S
Old 02-28-08, 08:08 AM   #12
sonar732
The Old Man

Thanks!

That's why I'm planning on using my old Packard Bell for this project. I've got 2 4 port KVM switches that will help me "manage" my projects. The linux boxes will be on one KVM and our Window machines will be on the other.