SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-14-08, 02:49 PM   #16
TteFAboB
Admiral

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

It's a laptop crusher, unless you have a super laptop.

I'm sticking to XP for as long as I can. I used to jump to newer versions of Windows almost as soon as they were available, mainly because they sucked so much. But I'm happy with XP. It's the least sucky overall Windows. Vista has a few nice features, but more annoying ones.

And I still don't know about compatibility with old stuff. I might have to keep XP somewhere forever, even if I mainly used Vista.
Old 02-14-08, 03:45 PM   #17
Etienne
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TteFAboB
It's a laptop crusher, unless you have a super laptop.
That's probably the worst thing about it, too. The sub 1000$ laptop is probably the system type with the highest sales grow right now, and if the OS cannot run on those... Well, there's a problem.

Vista's system requirements are just ridiculous for an OS. They're not even close to what the average computer has, and "power users" aren't upgrading because of compatibillity issues. I bought what could be considered a "Super laptop", and I didn't even what Vista anywhere close to that thing. Not for a couple year, anyway - Even if it meant that, because of Dell's retarded order system, I couldn't have a BD drive or a modem (Cause modems are apparently not compatible with XP?..)
Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 05:15 PM   #18
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBMAN1
I have both at home and at work. XP does the same thing much faster. Vista is a slug, no matter how much RAM you throw at it. Its all the DRM getting in the way is the problem.

The best OS out of Microsoft to date is stile MCE 2005.

Just my 2 cents.

-S
this is a vista free zone on this computer
Old 02-14-08, 05:30 PM   #19
bookworm_020
Navy Seal

Downloads: 1

I'll wait till the SP1 is released and then deside whever to mover across or not!
bookworm_020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 05:50 PM   #20
silentrunner
Watch Officer

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED
Look people another Vista thread.

I hate it and should be incinerated and salt sprinkled over the remains.
How do you incinerate a computer operating system?

But I have Vista Home premium, and with some upgrades its pretty cool

And the interface is very modern and

silentrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 06:18 PM   #21
goldorak
Admiral

Vista is Windows Millenium strikes back.
Nothing will redeem that pos os, except maybe dx 10 but since no dx 10 native games are on the horizon even that is doubtfull.
The right thing to do is to cling on to xp and bypass pos vista for windows 7.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 06:23 PM   #22
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

I haven't had much problem with Vista on my laptop to be honest, especially after I disabled some of its more annoying features. It's a memory hog, sure, but it hasn't been too bad for me. For most stuff, compatibility hasn't been a problem, and I'd say my laptop's performance is pretty much what it should be - at least when compared to my desktop which runs XP and has somewhat better specs.

I honestly don't see how it's better than XP, but neither is it any worse, at least in my experience so far. It's absolutely not worth the "upgrade", but I've never been tempted to install XP on my laptop either.

And my laptop runs SHIII and SHIV fine on Vista, too. What more could I ask for - besides some time to actually play them?

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 06:26 PM   #23
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

I just hope they learn something from Vista,
yet again its a repeating thing, ME was a misshap and XP came out nice in the end.
hope it will happen with Vista too...that the next OS will be way better

HunterICX
Old 02-14-08, 06:33 PM   #24
fatty
The Old Man

Downloads: 10

It works great for me. A fresh look after 7 years of XP is really nice. It is very zippy and responsive, all of my hardware and software works, and it comes with some handy features that I've taken a shine to, such as the new photo gallery software and RAW codec suites.

Disabling UAC is a must, I did that in the first five minutes of using it.

And yes, there really should be a Vista megathread. This is like Vista thread #49382034.
fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 09:17 PM   #25
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

I can't BEGIN to tell you the number of problems I've seen with Vista as a computer tech. That OS is a piece of trash. It's a freakin' memory and processor hog for what it does and it's security features are WAY too intrusive.
XP runs faster, handles software issues better, and is a hell of a lot easier to work on/with.
I don't know what Micro$oft was thinking when they coded that piece of crap.
Unlike Windows ME, it not only crashes, but has so many security features that it ANNOYS you as well !
Then there's the issue of DRIVER SUPPORT. When XP came out, drivers for stuff were there in pretty short order. I don't see the same thing going on with Vista. It seems a LOT of software companies are really digging in their heels and the new Vista drivers for older stuff is few and far between. Unless EVERYTHING you have is brand spanking new (and even that's no garuntee), you have a high probibility of having driver problems with Vista somehow, somewhere.
Old 02-15-08, 10:58 AM   #26
Q3ark
Watch Officer

Downloads: 47

I've had vista on my system for about the last eight months. I use it for my course work and some gaming mostly, and have so far (knock on wood), had no problems at all.

I remember when XP came out people where saying the same thing about that "I love win 98, XP is utter crap blah blah........"

anywho I just ignore em vista does exactly what I want it to do and is much easier to network than XP home edition was.
was H2SO4.
Q3ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 11:25 AM   #27
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q3ark
I've had vista on my system for about the last eight months. I use it for my course work and some gaming mostly, and have so far (knock on wood), had no problems at all.

I remember when XP came out people where saying the same thing about that "I love win 98, XP is utter crap blah blah........"

anywho I just ignore em vista does exactly what I want it to do and is much easier to network than XP home edition was.
XP home wasn't intended to be NW'd. Only on a basic level. THis was to prevent you from using it as a business app so you would move to XP Pro. Home would also not do multicore CPU's or multi CPU at all. Quite frankly, you can pretty much compare XP Home to Vista Basic, though Vista Basic may be a slight upgrade if you don't count the decrease in performance. I don't know anyone that uses XP Home. Its a pathtic cheap crippled OS that people threw out there to save a buck on the unsuspecting public. Get XP Pro. Nothing Vista does is better than XP Pro.

People shifted to XP in droves after the first couple months when it became apparent that XP was a superior product to 98. This is not the case with Vista. Vista offers you 'nothing' over XP except downgrades. Its only saving grace is something that could be added to XP (but they won't) - DX10. THe only reason DX10 is not on XP is because it is being used as leverage to make you buy Vista. That is pathetic. Granted, in the past there were some technical issues that prevented DX10 from being back ported, but since NVidia wasn't able to make it work (ATI made it work, so it definetly works), so MS threw them a bone and removed that limitation so that the 8800 series could move forward onto DX10.

The only other thing? neat windows effects that can be added to XP if you really want it.

EVERYTHING else is a downgrade in Vista from its draconian DRM system (Half the reason it is slow in the first place) to its pure bloat. It offers nothing for you over XP. Its increased security is so annoying, you can hardly use your system if you don't turn it off. As I type this, that security system is disabled on this Vista box.

I challenge someone to show me 'one' good thing that Vista does that XP doesn't do better. I have yet to find that one thing.

'nuff said.

-S

PS. Vista has one thing better than XP (So I did find one thing) - It has better monitor detection making switching of monitors better after the system is booted. Problem is, its not perfect and screws up a lot.
Old 02-15-08, 11:46 AM   #28
Q3ark
Watch Officer

Downloads: 47

Woah Subman wasn't looking to start a scrap, I can tell you realy don't like vista .

I didn't pay for it any ways. My old system died on me last April and as luck would have it there was still a month left on the warranty. The criminals that are PC world couldn't fix it so they had to give me a brand new system ha ha was gunna upgrade anyway as my old XP system was almost 5 years old and showing it's age.

Oh what's that mr PC world salesman you can't fix my old museum piece never mind i'll take that dual core pentium with Vist premium for free then ha:rotfl: ha that was a good day.
was H2SO4.
Q3ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 11:56 AM   #29
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Not looking for a scarp either, but you can kind of tell I have a bit of a disdain of this crap OS. I'm typing on it right now. I have a mixture of both XP Pro, Vista, and MCE 2005, and MCE 2005 wins hands down with XP Pro being a close second. Vista is a very very very distant third. I have 10 copies at home of Vista Biz, and Vista Ultimate, yet I only bothered to load 1 on my laptop since its diskpart program is superior to XP's (It can do a flash drive as well as a hard drive) - I guess I just found 2 things that are better, but thats a moot point considering the core is horrible.

-S
Old 02-15-08, 12:07 PM   #30
Tchocky
Navy Seal

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBMAN1
I challenge someone to show me 'one' good thing that Vista does that XP doesn't do better. I have yet to find that one thing.
ReadyBoost?

Agree with you on MCE. I've used XP Pro, Home, and a little bit of Vista. Got MCE on this machine and it's the least troublesome.