SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-17-14, 11:42 AM   #871
Leitender
Planesman

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0

Hi!

One question to the NYGM Kaleuns: What experiences did you make with ASDIC in shallow water? Had the DD´s lost contact? Was/is it possible to evade? And beyond, did you have the feeling that it´s useful to show your narrow site to the enemy? Some reports would be really appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Leitender
Leitender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-14, 03:42 PM   #872
Demoman
Nub

Downloads: 7

Hi all:

First of all, very great mod!

Now my lil problem:

Playing a career, i got detected by a destroyer and tried to escape. But unfortunately, he depth charged me and my submarine got damanged with flooding. The problem came because in the management screen, at the repair screen, i couldnt select the section of my submarine that was flooding, clicking and clicking and clicking, but keeping unselected, and...well, you know what happens when you dont repair a flooding.

Actually, i can only select the conning tower sections, the aft room and the upp room in the repair screen, but the rest of sections cannot be selected.

Happens the same with the down-right side icons (where to send your crew to repair, cruise mode, attack mode...), they cannot be clicked correctly.

Any solution to this issue? Thank you!

PD: Nevermind. Reading the manuals inside the mod, there is a section which tell you that there is no "damage team" and you must put all your men in the damanged compartiments and pray for them to be quickly repairing... XD

Last edited by Demoman; 02-23-14 at 07:17 PM.
Demoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-14, 08:05 AM   #873
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoman View Post
Hi all:

First of all, very great mod!

Now my lil problem:

Playing a career, i got detected by a destroyer and tried to escape. But unfortunately, he depth charged me and my submarine got damanged with flooding. The problem came because in the management screen, at the repair screen, i couldnt select the section of my submarine that was flooding, clicking and clicking and clicking, but keeping unselected, and...well, you know what happens when you dont repair a flooding.

Actually, i can only select the conning tower sections, the aft room and the upp room in the repair screen, but the rest of sections cannot be selected.

Happens the same with the down-right side icons (where to send your crew to repair, cruise mode, attack mode...), they cannot be clicked correctly.

Any solution to this issue? Thank you!

PD: Nevermind. Reading the manuals inside the mod, there is a section which tell you that there is no "damage team" and you must put all your men in the damanged compartiments and pray for them to be quickly repairing... XD
IIRC, the section you cited refers to repair of damage by target ships. The sub's damage control party should work normally. And the mode buttons should work also. (They do for me.)

Do you have NYGM updated to 3.6D? And are you using h.sie's and Stiebler's patches?

EDIT 2.24: Demoman, I apologize. What I wrote above is entirely INCORRECT. Your post is correct. I have been bouncing between GWX and NYGM and got the damage control procedures mixed up. Please excuse my advancing senility!

Last edited by BigWalleye; 02-24-14 at 04:09 PM.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-14, 02:55 PM   #874
Tupolev
Hauptman

Downloads: 75

Edit: Disregard my questions. My praise still stands though!!

So I've made the switch from GWX and have been supremely impressed thus far. Lots of great work put into this mod and I'm loving it.

T

Last edited by Tupolev; 03-06-14 at 04:28 PM.
Tupolev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 04:40 PM   #875
jakethescot
Engineer

Downloads: 904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupolev View Post
Edit: Disregard my questions. My praise still stands though!!

So I've made the switch from GWX and have been supremely impressed thus far. Lots of great work put into this mod and I'm loving it.

T

I'm with you on that. I don't see the attraction of GWX. Almost every time I see someone having problems with this, or that, it's GWX. They show a mod list with about 30 mods. To be the so-called 'best mod', you sure have to add a lot of other mods to improve it.
I love NYGM. The only thing I would like to see changed would be to add the Wilhelmshaven from WAC to it.
Old 03-19-14, 07:18 AM   #876
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
I don't see the attraction of GWX
Many people do, it's a matter of taste and the great thing is to have options to choose from

Quote:
To be the so-called 'best mod', you sure have to add a lot of other mods to improve it.
After GWX Gold the mod did not get any further development. At the time, it was the most complete mod around regarding everything integrated on it, and worked like an atomic clock. Of course with a mod soup of 30+ things you are bound for trouble.

But yeah, I personally also tend to favour NYGM's flavour, though I use GWX for some Mediterranean/Black Sea/Indian Ocean patrols sometimes. The content added there is unsurpassing, and since I almost only add my own GUI I don't have any problems.
Old 03-20-14, 07:15 AM   #877
Tupolev
Hauptman

I spent about 2 years playing GWX. I quickly realized i was spending more time trying to get my mod soup to play nice than actually patrolling. Then I streamlined my setup and enjoyed the game play. I definitely love the amount of content.

I'm currently running a VII and IX career with NYGM and I'm loving it. The feel of the game play is outstanding. Cheers to the team and thank you for the hours of gametime to come!

Huge fan of the GUI, Hitman. My thanks to you as well!

T
Old 03-20-14, 03:23 PM   #878
barel80
Watch

Downloads: 63

Hello. I'm still playing GWX 3.0 and need something fresh.
Please tell me why NYGM is better than GWX ? All the advantages...
Is it possible to run NYGM in widescreen mode 16:9 ?
Maybe it's time to change and try something new ?
barel80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 03:34 PM   #879
vanjast
Sea Lord

Downloads: 783
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by barel80 View Post
AFAIK, GWX was geared for visual presentation, whereas Your Grandmother 'talks to you straight down the line'. Don't they always :-)

It's difficult now to differentiate amongst the MODs as they've mostly incorporated each others ideas. NYGM has always been geared for 'realism' over 'visual arts'. I never ventured out of the NYGM compound so cannot give a true perspective, but I've always been happy with NYGM... it's a challenge.

Quote:
Yes.. find the MacGui Widescreen mod. I think GWX might have copied from his idea.
vanjast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 02:37 AM   #880
Friede Rösing
Seaman

Downloads: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by barel80 View Post
Maybe it's time to change and try something new ?
NYGM is the best mod with you will play for SHIII, is true that graphically is not much, but it is certainly the most realistic of all, the experience of playing a campaign with it's magnificent.

If you decide to start a campaign with this mod you must change your thinking. Your order will be above survive anything, destroyers and corvettes are ruthless ... If you are located ... run and do not stop running

goog luck, you will need
Friede Rösing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 07:08 AM   #881
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

Thank you very much for all the compliments, gentlemen above.

I like NYGM too!

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 08:29 AM   #882
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Just my two cents worth, but I find GWX a little “brighter” in atmosphere, a little more fun. NYGM seems more serious. In GWX, I go out to bag some tonnage, to test my skills. In NYGM, I go out to survive! In GWX, I can enjoy the graphics, the sound, the built-in gee-whiz toys. In NYGM, I’m there to fight. In GWX, if I’m canny and lucky, I just might survive the war. In NYGM, I know the odds are stacked way, way against me and there will be no nach dem krieg.

Both games are good and pretty realistic. But IMO, GWX leans just that little bit toward shoot-em-up, toward personal score and an enjoyable experience. NYGM leans more toward grim reality.

But I’m a reality freak. I prefer NYGM. To me, it just feels the way I think it should. I still play GWX from time to time. But NYGM is my favorite. YMMV.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 09:12 AM   #883
jakethescot
Engineer

Downloads: 904

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
Just my two cents worth, but I find GWX a little “brighter” in atmosphere, a little more fun. NYGM seems more serious. In GWX, I go out to bag some tonnage, to test my skills. In NYGM, I go out to survive! In GWX, I can enjoy the graphics, the sound, the built-in gee-whiz toys. In NYGM, I’m there to fight. In GWX, if I’m canny and lucky, I just might survive the war. In NYGM, I know the odds are stacked way, way against me and there will be no nach dem krieg.

Both games are good and pretty realistic. But IMO, GWX leans just that little bit toward shoot-em-up, toward personal score and an enjoyable experience. NYGM leans more toward grim reality.

But I’m a reality freak. I prefer NYGM. To me, it just feels the way I think it should. I still play GWX from time to time. But NYGM is my favorite. YMMV.
Exactly. When I played GWX I spent more time uninstalling and reinstalling updates to mods to make it look better, I never finished a career. Now, I don't finish a career because I'm dead.
As I said in my previous post, the fun for me is when I'm being hunted and trying to sneak away.
Old 03-21-14, 09:16 AM   #884
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethescot View Post
As I said in my previous post, the fun for me is when I'm being hunted and trying to sneak away.
Makes it all worth it in the end

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-14, 11:21 AM   #885
Tupolev
Hauptman

Quote:

This. Well said...

T

Tags
torpedos through hull