SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-26-08, 07:36 PM   #1
snakeyez
Last Man Down

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG my new project

After meeting other people online who are enthusiasts of different submarine museums, it soon struck me that there was no central place on the internet for submarine museum folks. People are constantly struck by what is going on with another submarine museum, whether it is monetary needs, part needs, volunteer needs, or just basic information worth sharing.

I've decided to give it a go with making a new website and forum just for submarine museums in the USA. I just threw it together today, so it's still in infancy. This will hopefully compliment the Lockwood Internet Base's SaveOurSubmarines website effort.

Maybe some of the USSVI 2008 Fall Convention folks can use the website in lieu of the sub museum push. I'd be honored!

I want anyone and everyone who has a favorite submarine museum of choice to come look at the website and register and post on the forum. Come talk about what your sub needs! Come talk about what your sub is doing! See what other subs are doing!

Pass this around everywhere, I'd like to see this new site bear fruit for ALL submarine museums. I know it will likely be slow in the beginning, but I think it has potential.

SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG

SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG Forum

Cheers!
Lance

SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG - These are the submarines in your neighborhood! Get involved, they need you.
Doyle Blalock - the life of my WWII submarine veteran grandfather.
Drum228.org - devoted to the Gato-class museum sub USS Drum (SS-228) complete with war patrol reports, historical info, and restoration progress.
snakeyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 08:44 PM   #2
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Very cool, Lance.
Old 02-26-08, 09:11 PM   #3
snakeyez
Last Man Down

Thanks Neal, that means a lot to me coming from the head honcho of subsim.com!

SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG - These are the submarines in your neighborhood! Get involved, they need you.
Drum228.org - devoted to the Gato-class museum sub USS Drum (SS-228) complete with war patrol reports, historical info, and restoration progress.
Old 02-26-08, 10:06 PM   #4
shoot-kill-win
Medic

Downloads: 9

That is great Snakeeyez, I will be sure to let the park manager of the Batfish know about this.

U.S.S. Batfish "The champion Submarine-killing sub of WWII"
Official tonnage: 12,332
Sank 3 subs in 3 days
shoot-kill-win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-08, 10:14 PM   #5
snakeyez
Last Man Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot-kill-win
That is great Snakeeyez, I will be sure to let the park manager of the Batfish know about this.
That would be GREAT. I hope this site proves to be a good thing. I've already had a couple of folks tell me they had no idea there were so many sub museums. The more "hands on" folks the better!

9 months ago I got into submarines and I had no idea there were submarine museums. Then I found out they existed but thought they were all too far away. Then I found out I lived only 3 hours away from the USS Drum.

I really feel there is a need for this website, even if the forum never takes off.

Old 02-26-08, 11:10 PM   #6
shoot-kill-win
Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeyez
I really feel there is a need for this website, even if the forum never takes off.
You are totally correct. People need to know about the edeavors of the Silent Service. Hey do you think you could incorporate a video section somehow, for your grandpa's videos, and I am currently working on interviewing some of the subvets out here in Colorado. I think it would be great to have those stories up there.

Sank 3 subs in 3 days
Old 02-26-08, 11:24 PM   #7
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Great site

Wanted to point out a small error:
USS Blueback was commissioned in 1959, not 69

[edit] wow, it was fixed the moment I posted

Good job spotting it

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 08:19 AM   #8
snakeyez
Last Man Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot-kill-win
You are totally correct. People need to know about the edeavors of the Silent Service. Hey do you think you could incorporate a video section somehow, for your grandpa's videos, and I am currently working on interviewing some of the subvets out here in Colorado. I think it would be great to have those stories up there.
There is no way I could host videos, but I could have a place on the forum that is for links to videos we all find. More to come....

Old 02-27-08, 09:07 AM   #9
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

I emailed the new site to Bill Lee and Ron Martini of USSVI. I asked them to pass the word to all of the museums. Hopefully, we'll see a large influx of members.

I'm not upset that you did this, either, Snakeyez. I asked Neal to create this sub-forum to accomplish the same thing, but your website will get a lot more museums participating, which was my goal from day one. Great job!

What I would really like to see from the vets is anything that they can remember in helping us fix/restore something. War stories are great, but we'd benefit a lot more from their technical know-how. If you get some good advice from someone, post it for the rest of us.
www.ussbatfish.com

Communism killed over 100M people and all that I got was this lousy signature.*

*http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM
M. Sarsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 09:30 AM   #10
snakeyez
Last Man Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sarsfield
I emailed the new site to Bill Lee and Ron Martini of USSVI. I asked them to pass the word to all of the museums. Hopefully, we'll see a large influx of members.

I'm not upset that you did this, either, Snakeyez. I asked Neal to create this sub-forum to accomplish the same thing, but your website will get a lot more museums participating, which was my goal from day one. Great job!

What I would really like to see from the vets is anything that they can remember in helping us fix/restore something. War stories are great, but we'd benefit a lot more from their technical know-how. If you get some good advice from someone, post it for the rest of us.
No doubt! I have already emailed back and forth with Bill Lee and Ron should know all about it by now.

And yes, I was worried about stepping on some toes, but I really want all people interested in submarine museums to take part, no matter if you are 10 years old or a 90 year old veteran or a subsim enthusiast. It isn't focused purely on restoration awareness but rather on promotion of all sub museum boats, which will hopefully lead to more money, more volunteers, and more public awareness.

Old 02-27-08, 05:55 PM   #11
shoot-kill-win
Medic

The link for videos is just as good. It will be great to have all the museums communicating with each other, and getting the word spread about the museums via the USSVI meeting.

Sank 3 subs in 3 days
Old 02-29-08, 07:35 PM   #12
snakeyez
Last Man Down

I just wanted to thank all of you guys for registering, posting, and hanging out a bit (even in the midst of the SH4 U-Boat Missions add-on coming out). I'm still hoping to spread the word even more soon.

The SUBSIM community has some great folks!

Lance

Old 06-24-08, 06:20 PM   #13
snakeyez
Last Man Down

Just a small update on SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG to pass along. We are now Associate members of the Historic Naval Ships Association (HNSA).

http://www.hnsa.org

We currently list 26 submarine museum boats (22 American, 3 Russian, 1 German) that can be visited across the USA. There are many volunteers, curators, enthusiasts, authors, and managers who take part in the forum there. We still openly invite anyone who is interested in submarine museum boats to come on over and take part in the discussions going on.

We are learning more each day from each other than I ever imagined.