SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-10, 03:32 AM   #31
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Yep, fair enough. That was my understanding of the situation with functionality of dials etc. anyway. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a problem.

That said, like you, I'm at least fairly happy with the TDC as it is right now. If we could even just get the periscope ring wheels for making our solutions, I'd be happy... of course then we'd also need a proper rec manual.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 03-05-10, 03:36 AM   #32
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a problem.
I'll give you one example of a big difference between SH4 and SH5. The periscope marks. They used to stay fixed and they were based on the camera properties in order to always show degree increments. Now they just zoom in with the image. Not to mention the bug on most scopes (most visible on the UZO) that start at 1X zoom and leave you with weird tiny marks .
Old 03-05-10, 03:46 AM   #33
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

Quote:
I don't doubt that duplicating SHIV is not the best solution in the long run. .
To be honest, i would prefer a redesign of it instead of just a direct port. Surely we could design a better/sleaker interface. The only reason im using the SH4 one now is because of the depth gauge and the battery/fuel indicators.

I like where the TC controls, and captians log things are at the top right. The SH4 one just duplcates this. That area up there should be expanded on slightly, not too much.. gotta watch the clutter.

The orders bar is kinda.. well.. bleh.

I dunno, but after some patches and things settle down.. I think we should make something better than the SHIV interface.
Old 03-05-10, 03:49 AM   #34
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Agreed. Like Sailor Steve, I'm a fan of the large slideout gauges that the simfeeling mod had, and maybe something along those lines would be best later on. But for now, let's just get this thing working, then we can talk about what we REALLY want

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 03-05-10, 06:15 AM   #35
Yskonyn
Sailor man

Downloads: 30

Let me pop in real quick to express my gratitude!
You guys are a prime example why this community is so great!

*Now I'll move along and let the big guys have more room for their fancy coding-talk again*

Old 03-05-10, 06:20 AM   #36
thfeu58
Officer

Downloads: 142

Thank you, nevertheless, this is already a big step. If it has just moved to me, is immediately installed and tried out.
Old 03-05-10, 07:38 AM   #37
Galanti
Captain

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutted View Post
To be honest, i would prefer a redesign of it instead of just a direct port. Surely we could design a better/sleaker interface. The only reason im using the SH4 one now is because of the depth gauge and the battery/fuel indicators.

I like where the TC controls, and captians log things are at the top right. The SH4 one just duplcates this. That area up there should be expanded on slightly, not too much.. gotta watch the clutter.

The orders bar is kinda.. well.. bleh.

I dunno, but after some patches and things settle down.. I think we should make something better than the SHIV interface.

Sure, just as long as it screams 1941 and not 2010.

But in all honesty, I can do without the whole upper right hand group of icons. I use keys to control TC (can't imagine manually clicking '-' a quadrillion times to come down from 4096x to 1x). The stations (nav map, captain's log, crew management( icons that are there now are redundant with the SH4 UI reimported. I guess the only somewhat useful icon is the toggle between exterior and interior, but F2 is easier to get to. Plus, they've all got that iPhone stink on them.

Next on my personal list to go are those '!' indicator icons. Far too intrusive and out-of-place looking as it is now.

But this is an outstanding first step!
Old 03-05-10, 08:54 AM   #38
EAF274 Johan
Ensign

Downloads: 94

I just wanted to say that this mod single-handedly has made this game playable for me Now that I can actually use the basic commands, I am beginning to see the potential beauty of the sim. It will need a lot of work, but I'm hopeful.

Many thanks!
Old 03-05-10, 09:03 AM   #39
thfeu58
Officer

Downloads: 142

Quote:
Agreed. Like Sailor Steve, I'm a fan of the large slideout gauges that the simfeeling mod had, and maybe something along those lines would be best later on. But for now, let's just get this thing working, then we can talk about what we REALLY want

I am also for the big Slideout instruments. But for first the work of TheDarkWraith would be OK.
Old 03-05-10, 10:33 AM   #40
Delita
Nub

Downloads: 5

Very nice, thank you!!
Old 03-05-10, 10:39 AM   #41
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

A complaint, but not a serious one.

One of the biggest complaints lodged against SH4 was that very layout, as it was considered much less 'friendly' than SH3's. I know you guys found that one already in place buried under the new stuff, but wouldn't it be cool to have SH3's interface instead.

Like I said, not serious - just pondering.
Old 03-05-10, 10:58 AM   #42
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
A complaint, but not a serious one.

One of the biggest complaints lodged against SH4 was that very layout, as it was considered much less 'friendly' than SH3's. I know you guys found that one already in place buried under the new stuff, but wouldn't it be cool to have SH3's interface instead.

Like I said, not serious - just pondering.
I would like to have the SH3 interface also BUT since the devs already coded in the scripts the use of the SH4 interface it was rather easy to implement this. Now to implement an SH3 interface could probably be done but you have A LOT of coding to do in rewriting/adding scripts. That alone would be close to a nightmare just from looking at the scripts they made to use the SH4 interface. Maybe if the devs released all the 'keywords' that they used and what the definitions of those keywords are (i.e. StartAnimation( MenuItemWrapper.AnimationTypes.Height, FinalValue, DurationInSeconds ) - give me a definition of how this function works) it would be easier.
Old 03-05-10, 11:12 AM   #43
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Great work TheDarkWraith this is an excellent start to SH5. Already its becoming more playable and with the excellent graphics we are on to a winner.
Just as a side note I showed the game to a friend who is not in to sims and with the basic dumbing down the Dev's have done to the sim he fell in love with the game (He likes to point and shoot). In a way this may attract a larger audience of newcomers to the genre, who will eventually become more hardcore.
Just was a pity they didn't leave in the thing that we wanted also.
But with guys like you, pumping out stuff like this it could be win win alaround. Cheers.
Old 03-05-10, 11:14 AM   #44
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Nice seeing this evolve , keep up the great work.

Back in the Day

Old 03-05-10, 11:18 AM   #45
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Now your makin progress keep up the good work.