SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-12-18, 12:18 PM   #1
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Default Microsoft now interrupting...

Quote:
WTF? Microsoft now interrupting Chrome and Firefox installations to promote Edge in Windows 10

Microsoft wants you to use its Edge browser in Windows 10. I mean, really, really wants you to use it. If you open Edge and search for "Chrome" or "Firefox" using Bing, Edge’s default search engine, you’ll be presented with a massive banner informing you that "Microsoft Edge is the faster, safer browser on Windows 10 and is already installed on your PC". Four boxes below then show you how Edge lets you browse longer, and faster, offers built-in protection and built-in assistance.

If that doesn’t stop you, then Microsoft has a new, much nastier trick up its sleeve -- when you go to install Firefox or Chrome it intercepts the action and pops up a window promoting Edge with the same line about how its browser is faster and safer. It then gives you a blue button to click to open Edge, or a grey one you can click to install the browser you actually want to use. Oh, and this window will keep appearing, unless you go into Settings and stop Windows 10 from offering you app "recommendations".
https://betanews.com/2018/09/12/micr...ge-windows-10/

In before Skybird..

This strikes me bit of a cheek, granted Sky would say that is mild.

The old man wants me to get a laptop for him but MS is putting me off with their control you and poor updates.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-18, 04:54 PM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

If your Dad just wants to browse a bit, do some emails and has no special needs and external hardware demands, a simple notebopok with Linux Mint. Version 19 just came out, good reviews. Easy, fast, stable, no patch terror, no upgrade horror, no Mixcrosoft at all. And best: you must not install any browser and text editor: Libre Office, Gimp, Firefox, Thunderbird all are part of the Mint installation, and some other. The only thing I had to manually install was Xfburn for creating music CDs, and Stellarium.

I have put my parents, age 70+, on Mint diet two years ago, too. My Mum later complained that I had not done it earlier - and she knows nothing about computer!

Google Earth, btw, for long time a shaky candidate that often did not work and shut down, since Mint 18.2 and 18.3 runs stable for me.

Ordinary households without any exotic needs do not need Microsoft or Google or Apple. Not at all. The only thing you need to wtahc out for, is printer/scanner compatablity. HP, Brother and Epson often have native Linux support, for quite some others there are freeware drivers. Its the only thing I must caution people to watch out for.
Old 09-13-18, 07:20 AM   #3
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

My my old mother is still completely resistant to having anything to do with computers (or the internet) otherwise this info would be very useful. It must at least be an enormous help in combatting loneliness
Old 09-17-18, 02:47 PM   #4
CTU_Clay
The Lone Wolf

Downloads: 312
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
If your Dad just wants to browse a bit, do some emails and has no special needs and external hardware demands, a simple notebopok with Linux Mint. Version 19 just came out, good reviews. Easy, fast, stable, no patch terror, no upgrade horror, no Mixcrosoft at all. And best: you must not install any browser and text editor: Libre Office, Gimp, Firefox, Thunderbird all are part of the Mint installation, and some other. The only thing I had to manually install was Xfburn for creating music CDs, and Stellarium.

I have put my parents, age 70+, on Mint diet two years ago, too. My Mum later complained that I had not done it earlier - and she knows nothing about computer!

Google Earth, btw, for long time a shaky candidate that often did not work and shut down, since Mint 18.2 and 18.3 runs stable for me.

Ordinary households without any exotic needs do not need Microsoft or Google or Apple. Not at all. The only thing you need to wtahc out for, is printer/scanner compatablity. HP, Brother and Epson often have native Linux support, for quite some others there are freeware drivers. Its the only thing I must caution people to watch out for.

“Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.” .
CTU_Clay is offline   Reply With Quote