SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > MoBo - Electronic Maneuvering Board
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-10-08, 10:50 AM   #1
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8
Default Testing of a potential new feature

I need someone who is familiar with the SH3 mission editor to perform a test for me to see if a new MoBo feature would be possible.

Here's the general idea...

The nav officer can plot pre-determined routes for various search patterns... essentially a useless feature.

The GWX team modded one of those plots to help navigate the Kiel canal, which can be quite a chore if you try to do that manually. I've learned that the GWX team used the SH3 mission editor to make that change.

Since the data for the plots are saved as standard textfiles to the folder:
SilentHunterIII\data\Menu\Patterns

I thought there's no reason why MoBo couldn't save waypoint data to the same textfile. That alone, however, would not be a very useful feature unless...

If I can make changes to those textfiles while the game is running and essentially be able to dynamically change the plots of a button or two within the game at runtime; I then might have a way to press a button to transfer MoBo plots into the game.

What I need someone to test for is:

See if you can swap one of those textfile plots while the game is running such that the game sees the new plot. I fear that the pre-drawn plots are all loaded at startup and changing the underlying textfile will have no influence on the game except for when the game initially loads.

Last edited by XLjedi; 03-10-08 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-21-08, 12:38 AM   #2
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

Ah well... so much for that idea.

I tested it in-game and (as I suspected) it appears to load the 3 plots at startup only.

Would've been such a simple thing to allow those to be saved/loaded at run-time. What a waste...