SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-10-19, 08:05 AM   #1
Justaguyinnc
Seaman

Downloads: 47
Uploads: 0
Default Steam Charts

Just for a comparison of what we all kinda knew already..
Here is the top played WW2 submarine games played on steam..
take a guess who is wining before you look..

click on each game title for more information.. or
you can just run your mouse pointer across the lines to see how many played each day..

https://steamcharts.com/cmp/494840,4...15210,48110#1m

Last edited by Justaguyinnc; 05-10-19 at 08:14 AM.
Justaguyinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-19, 01:45 PM   #2
kenz69
Watch

Downloads: 57

this one is also interesting, clearly, WP is going to be SH6, UBOAT is going to be a whole new kind of subsim (-ish cause it's more a game than a sim)

also most of the SH3 and 5 players do not use steam so this data is kind of biased
kenz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-19, 05:52 PM   #3
Justaguyinnc
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz69 View Post
WP is going to be SH6, UBOAT is going to be a whole new kind of subsim (-ish cause it's more a game than a sim)

I don't think WP will ever be a SH6.. never was meant to be and totally different play type.. Whereas UBOAT already has the look of the SH series, can do basically everything manual if that is your liking and adds in a Crew management and side view of a submarine never before attempted.. I doubt they care to be classified as a SH series # either.. and the Modding community hasn't even started.. Now if they sell more product or not?.. that all depends on advertisement budget and neither are at the size of Ubisoft.. so there is that.

What we all liked about Silent Hunter series has aged.. even with mods well made by the community. Both these games in their respected category will shine above all of the Silent Hunter series.. but that is just one opinion..

Old 05-10-19, 08:19 PM   #4
Sub187
Watch

Downloads: 10

Although I'm happy to see Uboat doing well, this comparison isn't really accurate. Video games sell most of their copies in the first month, with a sharp drop-off after that, so it's normal to see Uboat on top in the thousands. That the number of players dropped by 60% barely 9 days after launch shows that.

I mean, compare it to Ace Combat 7, which is/was pretty much dead online a month after launch, and only has less than 1000 players left from an initial 3000: https://steamcharts.com/app/502500#6m

What IS encouraging though, is that Uboat seems to grab the interest of an entire new player base with little knowledge of the uboot-war and hungry to learn more about it, which is absolutely great!
Sub187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-19, 12:57 AM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz69 View Post
also most of the SH3 and 5 players do not use steam so this data is kind of biased
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaguyinnc View Post
What we all liked about Silent Hunter series has aged.. Both these games in their respected category will shine above all of the Silent Hunter series.. but that is just one opinion..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub187 View Post
What IS encouraging though, is that Uboat seems to grab the interest of an entire new player base with little knowledge of the uboot-war and hungry to learn more about it, which is absolutely great!
Times change, what an older player remembers fondly and still loves, a newer player sees as a dated piece of history that belongs in a museum. When SH3 was still in development one SubSim member posted that what he wanted to see was a serious update of Aces Of the Deep. I was disappointed with SH5 because they tried something new and it wasn't what I wanted in a U-boat simulator. Someone asked why I wanted more of the same-old, I replied "Because they still haven't done it right."

"Right"? What is "right"? Right was what I wanted, and anything else was wrong. Well, I've had to learn to live with the concept that nobody is ever going to do it exactly the way I want, and I don't have the time or the money or the expertise to do it myself. So I'll stick with SH3, and I'll stick with SH4, and I'll finally give SH5 a try, but only because of the new mods.

And when I have the time and a couple of extra bucks I'll definitely buy U-Boat. It looks interesting to me. What I won't do is get involved with the "Mine is better than yours" kind of silliness I saw when SH4 and SH5 came out. Unless it's truly bad every game has its fans, and those fans like it for their own reasons, and their reasons are just as valid as mine. I'm not knocking you guys at all. This is a fine thread, and the comments so far are fair and good. I also think the "Who's playing what" list is sort of interesting. But in the end it's also useless except as a point of interest.

All of the above is hot air - just my little rant. Not aimed at anybody here now, just a reaction to the way I've seen these things take off in the past.
Old 05-11-19, 02:29 AM   #6
Backscuttle
A-ganger

Downloads: 108

I have SH4,SH5(both non-Steam), Uboat and Wolfpack. SH4/5 are upgraded to TMO2.5 and TWOS respectively. I find both,after all these years, still enjoyable to play and have very few,if any, bugs,glitches etc.
As for Uboat, I bought it the day it came out. I wish I had waited for more reviews now before purchasing. Seems to me to be a bit of sim-arcade cross, if you could have such a thing. I know that it`s EA but the amount of problems the game is having at the moment has caused me to wait for more patches to come out then retry it. I am not a game developer so I have to be careful with any criticism I submit.
But after 3 years of development and testing I was surprised at the amount of broken things within Uboat when I first played it.Some have now been fixed.Some haven`t.
For me , the key to games/sims like SH3,4 and 5, is that they are tried and tested and(usually) rock solid as far as bugs and glitches go. That`s why I come back to them.
Wolfpack I haven`t really played.
Backscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-19, 03:30 AM   #7
Justaguyinnc
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Times change, what an older player remembers fondly and still loves, a newer player sees as a dated piece of history that belongs in a museum .... ....
I am in my 60's so I don't see how I can relate to this idea when it comes to games.. I do believe some people don't like change period. Some just have older systems and are not going to update. I was there when computers took off and have enjoyed every upgrade and advancement since. I don't want to sit still and accept old anything except a pocket knife.. and old enough to remember all the hate the Silent Hunter series got on each release.. making a MOD community a "must have" more than a want.. or was that a spin modders created? .. nope.. we all love the modders!! ;-)

I can't help how people "read" a posting.. The comparison chart was not meant as a slight on any of the titles, if taken that way look within.. I own them all.. My lack of playing the older games today, is due to the continued search of better gaming.. I have a few accounts on steam, the one including sub games has about 360 titles attached to it for reference.. not to mention other game launchers like EA, Uplay etc.. I don't sit still.. lol

The chart was just a look at what the "general public" sees compared to those that are very fond(fans) of the Submarine genre.. More of a look at what size community lies ahead for each game in the next year or so.. After playing both new games, to "me", although I like UBOAT and see the potential.. the meat and essence of a submarine game lies in WolfPack and what it can be. The immersion level is incredible to "me" and I only play SOLO so far.. yet, recieved a very low to near non-existence acceptance in the gaming community with the higher price tag.

Now if you compare a "need" for community in a Multiplayer game to the not needed community for a single player game.. with exception for modding communities like Subsim, you can understand the reasoning on sales. So many games(FP Shooters for example) that have come out as "Multiplayer Only" and with or without Bots have just flopped due to community activity, not by design.. add "single-player" (which it should be there) to the Sales page of WolfPack and it will pick up buyers, of course old hardcore gamers here might not like that.. it pays the bills and fills the game. jus'sayin.. I am enjoying both and can't wait to see where this leads..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backscuttle View Post
I have SH4,SH5(both non-Steam), Uboat and Wolfpack. SH4/5 are upgraded to TMO2.5 and TWOS respectively. I find both,after all these years, still enjoyable to play

I added TWOS to my Steam version of SH5(have no idea where the disks are and don't miss them) just the other day to take a trip down memory lane.. agreed.. still enjoyable.. but I can't say how many times I hit my forehead on the desk when I see postings saying they don't need the newer graphic updates in the "next" new game.. while those same people talk about adding mods for the very same reason.. not meant as a reflection on your post.. just in general... while I enjoyed SH5 with the Mod for what it was.. I couldn't help but notice how dated the graphics are.. it is what it is and yes, it adds an immersion level not on par with modern gaming.. But, it will always have a place on my computer..played or not.. I recently added SH 3 and 4 series to my steam account for the very same reason.. to compare.. and remember.. I clearly remember now..

When you think about it.. if you like Submarine games.. both new titles cost less than a night out at your neighborhood restaurant and should be purchased.. they will last a lot longer with you than that meal will.. jus'sayin

just some more yada yada yada.. no offense meant to any game or gamer..

Last edited by Justaguyinnc; 05-11-19 at 04:37 AM.
Justaguyinnc is offline   Reply With Quote