SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-02-2015, 05:54 PM   #46
areo16
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL!TZKR!EG View Post

So if WEM still crashes with the 4GBP activated, that is apparently not the reason as to why it crashes.
You're still not getting it. I'll explain it again.

First off, there is no program called "S3V". It's SHV, for "Silent Hunter Validator" or SHValidator. It works for 3, 4 and 5 silent hunter games.

Second, the 4gb activated patch is the large address aware activation that I discussed above. IT WILL NOT ALLOW A 32 BIT APPLICATION TO ACCESS MORE THAN 3.5 GB OF RAM, EVER, THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE! It will only allow a non large address aware 32 bit application to be unlocked from the normal 2gb, to be allowed to access up to 3.5gb. Does this make sense?
The only remedy for this is to recompile SH3 into a 64 bit application, and we don't have the source to do that.

So if WEM crashes with the 4gb patch that is likely to mean that it is trying to access more than 3.5gb-3.8gb or RAM. I have checked the unit structure and it seems to be ok.

Entiendes?
areo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:21 AM   #47
BL!TZKR!EG
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by areo16 View Post
This is true, however any 32 bit application can only use up to 3.5gb-3.8gb of RAM. This means, because SH3 is 32 bit, and we can't do anything about that, a Win x64 system with the SH3 4gb patch will still only allow sh3 to run upto 3.5-3.8gb of memory. If sh3 tries to use more, like you have alot of ship models or sophisticated uboat models, then the game will crash. Unfortunately, sh3 is not a 64 bit program.
Hola amigo, lo entiendo muy bien - I _am_ getting it, but you are wrong in this matter.

If the above marked in red WERE true, then please explain: What do you believe the 4GT(="4 GB Patch") is any good for?
BL!TZKR!EG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:25 AM   #48
Pablo
Commodore

Downloads: 139

Quote:
Hola amigo, lo entiendo muy bien - I _am_ getting it, but you are wrong in this matter.

If the above marked in red WERE true, then please explain: What do you believe the 4GT(="4 GB Patch") is any good for?
Hi!

I am pretty sure the information marked in red is true, so I expect the benefit is what h.sie claims in the V16B1 release readme, namely:
Quote:
If the 4GB-Patch is activated in the OptionsSelector, then your saved file of SH3.exe will be adjusted to allow better memory usage of up to 4 GBytes of RAM.
Exactly how or what he achieves isn't exactly clear, but it seems clear that memory usage is only up to 4GB.

Hope this helps.

"...far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
- Theodore Roosevelt, speech before the Hamilton Club, Chicago, April 10, 1899
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #49
areo16
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 59

Quote:

No, you are wrong. I've gone over this before with you.

The 4gb path is also know as "Large Address Aware".

See here for more details:
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/th...-aware.112556/

The patch is good for allowing sh3 to access more than 2gb of memory, but only up to about 3.8gb. It can't use more than that however, because it is not a 64 bit application.
areo16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod , sh3 , wem