Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 03-04-18, 11:01 AM   #1
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Default FSX Steam Edition

Any FSX players out here? I recently bought it and am having some hiccups on Win 10. Game seems to crash a lot. Anything I should know about SE before I get into it further?

Also, does anybody have a hook up on some good freeware aircraft? Steam Edition seems kinda picky with what works and what doesn't.
Old 03-06-18, 05:27 PM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I have it not installed, in fact have not flown since a very long time now, and I do not know the Steam version, but I heard and read repeatedly that the Steam version and the legacy default version of the game do not behave identically.

However I can try to help if it is an issue that is not typical for the Steam edition.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4795/

https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4939/

https://fsxinsider.com/installing-ad...steam-add-ons/

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/conte...-Steam-Edition

If you can still give back the game (less than 2 hours played), I woudl do that and instead find a new DVD to buy.
Old 03-07-18, 06:45 PM   #3
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
If you can still give back the game (less than 2 hours played), I would do that and instead find a new DVD to buy.
Unfortunately I can't give it back.

I did get it on sale though for about 6$ so I don't have much in it. I'm just using it as a training aid at the moment for a test. I plan on building a PC later to be a dedicated sim rig but for now it works fine for my laptop.

As far as the issues I had, I was able to fix it. Turns out, for some reason, Steam didn't install all of the game files. And then it didn't detect the installation. So one clean, fresh re-installation and we're cooking now.

Later on, I'm probably going to get X-Plane and spend more money on a decent setup instead of my laptop and T.Flight right now.
Old 05-19-18, 04:30 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I just bought it myself for full price ($20, plus an extra $10 for a couple of add-ons that came bundled with it).

So far I've had no problems, other than I hate being tied to Steam's online service to play a game that I supposedly own. I had been looking for a realistic flight sim (realistic to me being looking good), and saw a video of a passenger's view of an airliner landing at my home airport, SLX at Salt Lake City. The window view follows the entire approach from Utah Lake thirty-five miles south to taxiing up to the gate. It looked so real that I could identify several landmarks I'm familiar with - so real, in fact, that I was sure I was looking at a real landing claiming to be a sim video. Closer to the landing, though, I spotted a couple of glitches that are inherent only to FSX. He lists his mods, so I bought the game and downloaded those scenery mods. Unfortunately he used two together that he shouldn't have, which makes SLX have two copies of the old control tower and two of the new one. Used separately neither one looks as good as both together.

Still, I've been motoring around in a Piper Cub out of Salt Lake Airport #2, flying around looking at the scenery and going as far as Heber, near Park City.

So far I've had no crashing problems (not with the PC or game, anyway - the airplane's another story), and have been quite happy. On the other hand I'm planning on getting X-Plane 11, for which a mod is now available that uses Google Maps to recreate the actual scenery including individual houses, finally bringing meaning to the overused phrase "photo-realistic". That's for next month though.