Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 11-02-16, 07:38 AM   #1
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0
Default DCS Huey. Worth it? Your opinion wanted.

Looking into buying the DCS Huey module and have read through a pile of reviews. There are a few things that concern me and I need some inputs from those of you who have played this sim or in any way have some idea and inputs.

There appear to be a number of bugs, from mild ones to game breaking ones. Thing is, few can seem to agree on what those bugs are and how serious they are. I understand that with the myriads of hardware configurations you will find, this doesn't have a clear cut answer but still: How stable has the game been to you and have you encountered bugs that stood out as annoying or game breaking? Has the game been running problem free for you?

How resource hungry is it, compared to Black Shark 2? Reading the requirements as they are listed on various sites leaves me confused. The requirements seem to vary quite a lot, from 4GB RAM, 2, 8, 16, pick a number, dual core, quad, pentium exclusively to anything that says CPU, it's confusing to say the least.
How well does it run on your system (frame rate in particular against settings in the options menu) and what system is it?

Last: I'm not sure if this purchase will happen before World 2 comes out. I want to have a closer look at their business model before handing over more money. The game won't do me any good if World 1.5 is deprecated and World 2 is forced upon us at full price when it's released (call me a pessimist but so many bizarre business models nowadays and enough rumours and hear-say to make me a bit wary).
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-16, 09:41 AM   #2
Minoslas
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3

DCS: World 1.5 and 2.0 are free, actually interinum versions meanwhile free caucasus map has reconstructed and improve to EDGE map archive format, the same of NTTR Nevada (and the incoming Normandy WW2). When that reach, 1.5 and 2.0 alpha version disappear and all has move to 2.5 version. All purchase modules (except new maps) work on all version without charge.

All engine and improvements on core simulator are free. All modules purchase on previous versions has update to work on future versions without charge, similar situation happens with makes the jump from the old 1.2.X (Dx9 engine), to the new 1.5/2.0 version (Dx11).

Actual DCS: World requirements:
1.5 Stable version
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c.../world/stable/
Quote:
Minimum system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i3; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: 2 GB RAM card, DirectX11 - compatible; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+; RAM: 16GB; Hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / ATI R9 290 DirectX11 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.
2.0 Alpha version (to test NTTR Nevada and future maps)
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...s/world/alpha/
Quote:
Minimum system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i3; RAM: 8 GB; Free hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: 2 GB RAM card, DirectX11 - compatible; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements: OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+; RAM: 16GB; Hard disk space: 30 GB; Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / ATI R9 290 DirectX11 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

-------------------------
Commander 21squad Harpoon International Community site
http://www.21squad.com
Minoslas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-16, 10:40 AM   #3
Von Due
Sea Lord

Thanks for the info. Does this mean that all modules in World have the same requirements? Wouldn't it depend on the aircraft and its complexity? I could very well be wrong of course.
Old 11-02-16, 04:16 PM   #4
Minoslas
Grey Wolf

The requirements can change with the time, but has centred on the core game, no the modules (all running into the core).

-------------------------
Commander 21squad Harpoon International Community site
http://www.21squad.com
Minoslas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-16, 08:05 PM   #5
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 2

I own quite a few of the modules: including both Blackshark 2 and Huey. I play on an i7 dual laptop, 8gb RAM, 2gb video, with TrackIR. My experience in 1.5 has been that using the targeting system in the Ka-50 is far worse for my frame rate than anything I've done in the Huey.

I have my resolution lowered to 1300ish by 800ish (on a different laptop right now) to maintain about 45-55 fps for just flying and drop into the teens sometimes with smoke and targeting system active.
SilentPrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-16, 05:49 AM   #6
Von Due
Sea Lord

Excellent post, SilentPrey. Real good to know. I have read how some have seen severe fps drops when using the Shkval in the Shark. I saw some drop until I changed the cockpit display res to 256.
Old 02-19-17, 04:20 AM   #7
Tanken2
Swabbie

Yes I love it , not easy to fly as it should be , all controls function as real . Have made it to career step 15 . Even though it is peacekeeping based you do get to use the weapon systems and despatch "rebels"
Tanken2 is offline   Reply With Quote