Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 04-27-18, 11:33 AM   #76
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmetthi View Post
I was going thru some old and forgotten game software and found this game. And I remembered how good it was and decided to get it up and running again. Then I wondered if anyone was still playing. And I stumbled on your tutorials. You have giving me the desire to get going again with this great game.
I got fairly decent at it way back when. Your guides will be very helpful in becoming proficient.
Your explanations are spot on, clear and precise!
Thanks again.
An oft-overlooked treasure this and, as someone observed earlier in this thread, it's a pity more was not done to make it even better. I also have stumbled upon this thread and must take the time to go through these tutorials carefully... accompanied by Aktung's big pot of coffee.

I recently looked into the bowels of this sim intending to disable the dreadfully intrusive turret-drive sound, which I find sooo distracting when sweating it in the upper gunner's position... but I find that there are no WAV or Config. files for the sounds here, such as you find in other sims like CFS3 or Microsoft Flight Simulator. Is there any way to get rid of this noise, ikrananka... there's nothing can be turned off in the "options" menu as I recall...?
Old 04-27-18, 01:56 PM   #77
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome back!

emmetthi!
Quote:
accompanied by Aktung's big pot of coffee.
HOW BIG IS BIG!?? FROM MY LONG HAUL TRUCKING DAYS: SAPP BROS TRUCKSTOP; OMAHA, NEBRASKA... The coffee pot is always on at Sapp Brothers truck stops:

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-18, 03:19 PM   #78
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Wow! Just stumbled on this thread. It brought me back to the days of the v8th OPS group I was in many many years ago. I still have my disk, and many of the mods we used back then, might be time to reinstall.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-18, 07:36 AM   #79
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Okay, I've now discovered this treasure-trove:

http://taff04.wixsite.com/taffinexil...ighty-8th-mods

Here you can download a modding editor to open up and change/replace the various files in B-17 (you have to ensure that the game is patched to 1.0 before you load this editor into your B-17 root folder, or none of it will work)

Included in the OMFmod Manual are detailed instructions on how you can also work on these files yourself, using Photoshop etc.

One mod which caught my attention changes the terrain tiles to an autumnal colour; the bilious green of the landscape in B-17 is pretty awful in my eyes, so whether this will be an improvement remains to be seen. I'm going to look into the possibility of building my own snowy winter terrain for this... if I can change the look of it myself then that would be very exciting

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 05-26-18 at 08:06 AM.
Eichhörnchen is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-18, 11:55 AM   #80
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

No luck so far... as instructed I installed the OMFMod utility into the B-17 directory after patching up to 2.0 (may be that was wrong... I don't know... it said it must first be patched to 1.0)

Anyway, to open the editor and import files from the game I'm told I have to run it from the 'Command Line'. I don't know how to set this up and the people who 'explain' it on Youtube may as well be speaking Greek. Can anyone tell me in words I understand how I can link this editor with the OM files I wish to edit, please?
Old 05-26-18, 01:11 PM   #81
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Well I worked out how to associate the OM files in the game folder with the OMFMod Editor by changing the extension (through Control Panel) to specify the Editor as the programme with which to open them. But the Editor itself still won't open... I just get the message "This application has failed to start because WinParts.dll was not found"...... "Que??" I just don't have the brain for this... I'm going back to playing with my nuts, it's simpler

Okay, I might be getting somewhere now... opening a Command Prompt Window via "Accessories" (this is XP) then specifying the location of the editor and then the OMF file to be opened. I'll see if it works....

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 05-26-18 at 05:02 PM.
Eichhörnchen is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-18, 05:48 PM   #82
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
...the Editor itself still won't open... I just get the message "This application has failed to start because WinParts.dll was not found"...

I don't know what editor you're using, but this one by Taff in Exile has worked just fine for me. It says it's compatible with XP. You just need a separate program (such as Photoshop, GIMP or whatever) to do the actual "painting". I haven't really used it since I last posted about it, but it's fairly straightforward and if you need help with it I'm certain I can talk you through it.

Cheers!
Old 05-26-18, 05:59 PM   #83
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Thanks, buddy... yes that is the one I'm trying to use. I've got an idea I might be on the right side of things now... I'll let you know
Old 05-26-18, 11:58 PM   #84
HerrRitter
Watch

Downloads: 39

I'm one of those people who played the sim, back in the day. It was very enjoyable, especially because those weren't REAL 109's and ****ers shooting at me!

I've flown several tours at different positions (never even tried as pilot or co-pilot. The most memorable was was the belly-gunner. Nice scenery to and from the target. Then, there was the target ... flak, German fighters before and after the target. This was one of the few tours of duty that I flew where both my plane and I survived!
Old 11-14-20, 12:35 PM   #85
Sniper450
Officer

Downloads: 177

Is this still playable these days? Was thinking of downloading it and playing while waiting for The Mighty Eight.
Sniper450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-20, 12:43 PM   #86
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Go for it! and give us a

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-21, 08:09 PM   #87
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Some excellent news! Yes I know, not all these projects survive to fruition, but let's keep our fingers crossed!

iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-21, 12:17 AM   #88
Sean C
Grey Wolf

If it's anything like the previous game, I'm in! Anxiously awaiting updates ...
Old 12-18-21, 02:27 AM   #89
Sean C
Grey Wolf

I had been thinking of getting back into this game for a while. The news of a possible sequel in the works nudged me to actually do it. After a few hours getting re-familiarized, I was able to complete a few missions. Looks like I've still got it! Although I'm not sure why it says I flew 0 miles. The target was deep into enemy territory.

And I was glad to see my custom nose art was still there.

Old 12-29-21, 06:41 PM   #90
tmccarthy
Admiral

Downloads: 270
Uploads: 16

Have you tried adjusting the Norden Drift Scale Dial with the Mouse + Holding Down CTRL key?

The holding down CTRL allows fine adjustments. I found this accidently last time I was messing around a few years ago. I couldn't find this in the manual or documented anywhere and it made a big difference.
If I recall correctly changing the dial or making last minute adjustments with just the mouse was almost impossible.

Tags
b-17, flying fortress, microprose, mighty 8th