Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 05-18-17, 08:09 AM   #61
ikrananka
Sailor man

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

The 20th video in this series is now live on YouTube. This video is the fifth of six Fighter Schools aimed at teaching you the basics of each fighter aircraft in the game. In this video I cover the Me 262, nicknamed the Schwalbe or Swallow, the first ever operational jet fighter of WWII.

ikrananka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 04:26 PM   #62
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2
Default sound fix

https://www.gog.com/forum/b_17_flyin...h/sound_issues

a copy an paste job

This fixed all sound errors for me, hope it helps......

the B17 main directory.(Computer, local disk, Program Files (x86), Microprose, B17) Then, go to the run command line and type regedit. Once in regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microprose \B17\General and right click on UseA3d, select modify, change the 0 to 1 and click ok. Then exit and use the my computer to navigate to local disk, Program Files (x86), Microprose, B17. Then locate and start(double click) the game using the Game.exe file (Just says Game with a B-17 icon) rather than B-17setup.exe, -(there are two and there are three B-17 icons, make sure it's the correct one) Then play the game normally, your gun sounds will be back along with the mechanical turret sounds. It's a good idea while you are in that B-17 folder to right click the B-17 Game.exe icon (or list, I have icons turned on) and send to desktop (create shortcut) Rename your new shortcut to say B-17 Sound Fix or whatever so you don't click the wrong one. (you should have two on your desktop now)

If you run B17setup.exe (start game normally) at any point after this the above registry UseA3d entry will go back to 0 and you will have to redo the fix. So if you make a change to the resoulution etc. just redo it and your all set. No problems for me so far.
Much Thanks to wombat778!!! I can finally play this game without stutter and now with sound!
yubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-17, 02:38 PM   #63
ikrananka
Sailor man

The 21st video in this series is now live on YouTube. The last of six Fighter Schools aimed at teaching you the basics of each fighter aircraft in the game. In this video I cover the P-38 Lightning, the oldest of the allied fighters in the game.

Now all of the fighter schools are complete, I will be getting back to the B-17 in my next video.

Old 06-30-17, 03:03 PM   #64
ikrananka
Sailor man

The 22nd video in this series is now live on YouTube. In this video I cover propeller pitch and other B-17 control modelling errors and issues that you need to be aware of when playing this game.

Old 07-05-17, 09:03 PM   #65
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Those are pretty glaring mistakes but so be it.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 07:39 AM   #66
ikrananka
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Those are pretty glaring mistakes but so be it.
I always thought those controls seemed wrong, and when I confirmed it I was very unimpressed.
Old 07-20-17, 06:43 PM   #67
ikrananka
Sailor man

The 23rd video in this series is now live on YouTube. In this video I show you how to manually start the B-17s engines when starting a mission. Two different procedures are presented depending upon if you have the game's General Difficulty setting set to Low/Medium or if you have it set to High.

Old 07-20-17, 07:57 PM   #68
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Thank you. I found it confusing when I tried before in the high setting. Maybe not confusing, more like a failure.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-17, 04:29 PM   #69
ikrananka
Sailor man

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Thank you. I found it confusing when I tried before in the high setting. Maybe not confusing, more like a failure.
Glad the video helped
Old 09-26-17, 06:31 PM   #70
ikrananka
Sailor man

The 24th video in this series is now live on YouTube. In this video I cover B-17 Engine Management analysing the only official source of information on this feature as well as presenting a workaround to a major bug. There is no silver bullet to effective engine management. You must spend time learning how to manage engine temperatures under all circumstance and to practice, practice, practice!!!

Old 02-19-18, 03:15 AM   #71
emmetthi
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Thank You.

I was going thru some old and forgotten game software and found this game. And I remembered how good it was and decided to get it up and running again. Then I wondered if anyone was still playing. And I stumbled on your tutorials. You have giving me the desire to get going again with this great game.
I got fairly decent at it way back when. Your guides will be very helpful in becoming proficient.
Your explanations are spot on, clear and precise!
Thanks again.
Old 02-19-18, 09:50 AM   #72
ikrananka
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmetthi View Post
... I stumbled on your tutorials. You have giving me the desire to get going again with this great game.
I got fairly decent at it way back when. Your guides will be very helpful in becoming proficient.
Your explanations are spot on, clear and precise!
Thanks again.
Thank You

Good luck with getting back up to speed with the game. Let me know how you get on.
Old 02-20-18, 06:29 AM   #73
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12

Great ... now I'm addicted to this game. I'm even losing sleep playing it.

I've even started making my own custom nose art.

Thanks, I guess.

(At least I got it on sale for like, a buck seventy-five. )
Sean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-18, 04:47 PM   #74
ikrananka
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel B. View Post
Great ... now I'm addicted to this game. I'm even losing sleep playing it.

I've even started making my own custom nose art.

Thanks, I guess.

(At least I got it on sale for like, a buck seventy-five. )
LOL - you're welcome

Just curious, with the nose art, have you figured out the masking procedure? I managed to do it a while ago with Photoshop Elements 10 but have forgotten how.

It's funny, I'm losing sleep due to the current game I'm playing. Weird how games can do that to us.
Old 02-20-18, 10:11 PM   #75
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikrananka View Post
Just curious, with the nose art, have you figured out the masking procedure? I managed to do it a while ago with Photoshop Elements 10 but have forgotten how.
Yes. It's the same as with all other game graphics I've dealt with. I use Photoshop CS3, so there might be some UI differences.

I start by creating a background of one solid color (grey in this case - just like the original files). I then use the "Lasso" tool to select and copy just the portion of the graphic I want to use from another image and paste that onto a new layer on top of the grey background.

Once I have the graphic in the orientation/placement I want, I use the "Magic Wand" tool on that layer to select everything except the graphic and then invert the selection. This results in a selection in the shape of the graphic and is easier than using the wand tool to try and select the graphic directly because of the way the tolerance works.

Next, I click on the "Channels" tab in the "Layer" window and select the alpha channel. With the selection still active, I use the "Paint Bucket Tool" to make only the selected area white. The result is a white shape on the alpha layer in the same position and in the same shape as the graphic. This means that only the graphic will be rendered. The grey background (which is black in the alpha channel) will be transparent. As always, you can paint with various shades of grey on the alpha channel to create areas of varying transparency.

Finally, I flatten the layers and save the image. Of course, in this case, there is the additional step of adding that image back to the omf file by overwriting the original. (For that, I am using Taff in Exile's omf editor.)

The colors in this forum make it kind of hard to see links, so in case you didn't notice: the words "custom nose art" in my previous post are a link to an example I made. I think it turned out quite nice.

Anyway, I hope that helps and if anything wasn't clear or you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers!
Sean C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b-17, flying fortress, microprose, mighty 8th