Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 10-07-16, 10:25 AM   #1
ikrananka
Sailor man

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default B-17 The Mighty 8th - Getting Started Tutorial Video Series - Now Available!!!

I have just published on YouTube the first video in my Getting Started Tutorial series of videos covering the B-17 The Mighty 8th game.

Please check it out and let me know what you think. If you appreciate the video then please "Like" it and subscribe to my channel to receive updates as I add new videos to the series over the coming weeks.

All feedback is welcome.

Thanks and Enjoy
ikrananka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-16, 10:52 AM   #2
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Hey ikrananka,

Very good video and sure to help a bunch of people (myself included)!

I used to play it way back when and been meaning to try it again, but have never bothered to look for all the patches and mods.

Liked and subbed!
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-16, 03:15 PM   #3
ikrananka
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post

Very good video and sure to help a bunch of people (myself included)!

Liked and subbed!
Thanks - really appreciate that

Quote:

I used to play it way back when and been meaning to try it again, but have never bothered to look for all the patches and mods.
If you buy the game from GOG or Steam it comes fully patched which is nice. I'm just uploading the second video now, which covers adjusting Joystick Sensitivity. The third video will cover where to currently find mods, which are my recommended ones, and also how to install them.
Old 10-07-16, 03:38 PM   #4
ikrananka
Sailor man

The second video in this series is now live on YouTube. This video covers how to setup and adjust joystick sensitivity.

Enjoy
Old 10-07-16, 04:23 PM   #5
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikrananka View Post
If you buy the game from GOG or Steam it comes fully patched which is nice. I'm just uploading the second video now, which covers adjusting Joystick Sensitivity. The third video will cover where to currently find mods, which are my recommended ones, and also how to install them.
Aye, I got the GoG version, just never tried how it runs.

B-II is a good example of a game mechanic that worked in earlier game (B-17 Flying Fortress) that has been improved.

I played B-17 I on my 486 way back, but B-17 II, I love them both, but II adds more of the human elemenent to the game, visually wounded crew etc.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-16, 04:31 PM   #6
ikrananka
Sailor man

Quote:
Aye, I got the GoG version, just never tried how it runs.

B-II is a good example of a game mechanic that worked in earlier game (B-17 Flying Fortress) that has been improved.

I played B-17 I on my 486 way back, but B-17 II, I love them both, but II adds more of the human elemenent to the game, visually wounded crew etc.
I too played B-17 I back in the day but was useless at it. I just never found the time to learn it and clearly remember only getting as far as crashing my plane repeatedly during the taxi at the start of a mission. So, when I recently discovered B-17 II on GOG I was determined to learn the game well and now love it.
Old 10-07-16, 08:44 PM   #7
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

I've got TME on GoG but need to get a new joystick before I play any more of it. Looking forward to getting back into it!
Old 10-12-16, 08:28 PM   #8
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I dl'd this several months ago but will enjoy having some help getting started. I don't have much game time these days but I still have interest.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-16, 03:28 PM   #9
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

This game I wished they developers kept working on. So much more could have been done. All in all still a great game as it stands.
Old 10-14-16, 10:04 PM   #10
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I'm looking to see if the virtual joystick driver and curve software can make my Sidewinder 2 relevant again. I loved that joystick but had to replace it when the software wasn't developed further. The Saitek Cyborg I replaced it with just doesn't come close and I can't justify spending big bucks on a new flight control system.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-16, 09:11 AM   #11
ikrananka
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
I'm looking to see if the virtual joystick driver and curve software can make my Sidewinder 2 relevant again. I loved that joystick but had to replace it when the software wasn't developed further. The Saitek Cyborg I replaced it with just doesn't come close and I can't justify spending big bucks on a new flight control system.
Did vJoy and Joystick Curves help you with your Sidewinder 2 ?
Old 11-01-16, 09:13 AM   #12
ikrananka
Sailor man

The third video in this series is now live on YouTube. This video covers the basic controls in the game while touring each and every crew station on the B-17.

Old 11-01-16, 10:42 AM   #13
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

WOW! With my rudimentary Cessna 172 skills and two still-living uncles, both 94, who flew these to offer advice, I might just manage it. I'm gonna need a big pot o' coffee for the tutorials!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-16, 10:50 AM   #14
ikrananka
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
WOW! With my rudimentary Cessna 172 skills and two still-living uncles, both 94, who flew these to offer advice, I might just manage it. I'm gonna need a big pot o' coffee for the tutorials!
Sorry about the length of the tutorials - there's just so much material to cover ! ! ! Keep that coffee coming and I hope you make it through them. The next bunch will be much shorter.

Please pass on my eternal gratitude to your two uncles. Playing a game is one thing but living it in the real world is quite another. Have they spoken much to you about their experiences flying in B-17s?
Old 11-01-16, 11:37 AM   #15
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikrananka View Post
Sorry about the length of the tutorials - there's just so much material to cover ! ! ! Keep that coffee coming and I hope you make it through them. VING INSTEAD! The next bunch will be much shorter.

Please pass on my eternal gratitude to your two uncles. Playing a game is one thing but living it in the real world is quite another. Have they spoken much to you about their experiences flying in B-17s?
Nope! The one, a teetotaler, is still sharp (pilot who still recalls the HP of a Pratt and Whitney engine) and we just moved him into a residence last week after his wife passed; the other is/was a raging alcoholic top-turret/engineer and has now outlasted all his siblings...amazingly, (as of a week ago!) My dad, a brilliant chem. engineer/mathematician, transferred from infantry beach-landing pillbox flamethrower-duty(HE NEVER SAW ANY OF HIS CLASSMATES AGAIN) to B-29's and B-26's and didn't talk much about it either. He was a Nav/engineer on short- 4 crew'd ferry-command crews all over the war: from Dakar to Newfoundland to Tinian; often in unreliable battle-fatigued aircraft! He bailed out three times...and had a great fondness for Dewer's Scotch. ("Pour U a snort?!") Thus: I'm here by dumb luck-he was not happy about me flying Cessnas...so I took up long-haul sleeper team driving instead...and I'm here by even dumber luck!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 11-01-16 at 11:53 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
b-17, flying fortress, microprose, mighty 8th