SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-14-19, 08:54 AM   #1591
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
I do as well, in one early 1943 career it took over five game-days just to get out of the Bay of Biscay because of the frequency of the air attacks but not, it seems, during 1944 in NORLANT or the Norwegian Sea...

-C

That is strange. Sometimes I think the developers of the game tried to make things to complex and/or tried to do to much.
Not a bad idea, if it can be done and work correctly.

So much left undone in the stock game, that was started. The things that were finished have so many game variables that can affect them each time, especially the AI.

Might have been better to have kept things simpler.
Old 10-14-19, 04:09 PM   #1592
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29

@Randomizer:
"This new XXI career and 48-hours in with Lerwick bearing NNE about 300km and not a single aircraft has appeared to disturb my surface transit. This despite wonderfully clear late summer conditions on the Norwegian Sea. It's almost like one might expect in September 1939 and not 1944! Should I not be seeing more planes?
"PS - I understand that SH3 may have a glitch where TC > x516 causes aircraft to disappear so at no time does TC exceed x256 when I play the game.
"PPS - The last mod that overwrites the files in the Campaign folder is NYGM3_6F and I have edited none of those files."

I've checked the NYGM files, and all the basic mods that have a separate basic.cfg include the change to eliminate the Type XXI U-boat problem that results in the problem of the Main Pump being destroyed as soon as the player begins a patrol. So the problem may lie elsewhere, perhaps with a corrupted zones.cfg file. My set-up runs with no problems with the type XXI.

Concerning the problem of lack of aircraft - there should be a lot of them in the western half of the North Sea and around Iceland. This may be due to another corrupted file. This issue can be easily checked - just reinstall the main NYGM mods in the correct order and then play with a Type XXI U-boat.

Concerning the issue of aircraft availability at different time compressions. I've covered this issue somewhere in the distant pass, but I can't find the link. But the central point is that you get a sighting of an aircraft when you are within visual range of it. If you play at high TC, the aircraft makes large jumps from place to place at each time point, while your U-boat is also moving in large jumps.

So the higher the TC, the more likely an aircraft is to jump over your U-boat without ever being visible, and equally the greater the chance of your U-boat jumping under the aircraft without seeing it. The aircraft are not invisible, they just keep jumping around you in large leaps at high TC, so most of the time they are out of visual distance. Even so, you will sometimes, by the law of averages, see aircraft at even very high TC - just less often than at (say) 256 TC.

Good luck!
Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-19, 12:26 AM   #1593
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

Well I tried to figure out why no aircraft in 1944 and somehow borked my NYGM installation. Self inflicted PEBCAK* but it did force me back to basics. Removed NYGM entirely and checked the stock installation - no problems.

Did a complete NYGM install from scratch and once everything was restored started a July 1944 career with the 7th Flotilla in St. Nazaire and for my sins they had my boat leave in broad daylight. Less than two-hours out every B-24 Liberator in coastal command showed up and after shooting down three, was sunk attempting to race back to base.

So I said to myself, "Self", and knew it was me since the Cat was still asleep on my lap, "Self, this is now working as intended so let's try again in Norway".

Started a new Type VII/C41 career July 1944 with 11th Flotilla and depart Bergen and lo and behold, the skies remained void of aircraft for 48-game hours while crossing the Norwegian Sea and entering NORLANT. Same deal as before...

Will treat this as the new normal and move on. Thanks anyway.

-C

*PEBCAK = Problem Encountered Between Chair And Keyboard for those who might be unaware.
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-19, 05:52 AM   #1594
toolsey2
Watch

Downloads: 523
Default Returning to SH3

Hello I am returning to SH3 after a few years and I want to mod it to the latest version of NYGM also I would like to have all the open compartments included so I can walk the length of the sub and see the crew at work plus the latest manual periscope graphic mod and some graphic improvements for the immersion factor and what is the state of any Wolfpack mod
Also I will be using the steam version because I have no cd drive attached as I have a win 10 laptop with decent specs will this be possible any help gratefully accepted. I also donate to the websight so I have respect to the modders who have made the game what it has become
I posted this in the main SH3 forum when I think I should have posted in this NYGM post sorry for posting twice
Thanks and regards.
toolsey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-19, 07:09 AM   #1595
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolsey2 View Post
Hello I am returning to SH3 after a few years and I want to mod it to the latest version of NYGM also I would like to have all the open compartments included so I can walk the length of the sub and see the crew at work plus the latest manual periscope graphic mod and some graphic improvements for the immersion factor and what is the state of any Wolfpack mod
Also I will be using the steam version because I have no cd drive attached as I have a win 10 laptop with decent specs will this be possible any help gratefully accepted. I also donate to the websight so I have respect to the modders who have made the game what it has become
I posted this in the main SH3 forum when I think I should have posted in this NYGM post sorry for posting twice
Thanks and regards.
Walking the length of the sub is possible with at least two mods I know of.

-https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=201502

and

-https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=214215

Some of the supermods have these or a version of them already in them. Can't recall which maybe someone else can.

Re wolf packs they are available and work well via Hsie's patch mod.

-https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=174225
Old 11-01-19, 06:03 AM   #1596
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 846

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolsey2 View Post
so that all open compartments are turned on

CCoM_8.x_Bug_Hecktorpedoraum_v1.0
http://www.mediafire.com/file/snli8y...doraum_v1.0.7z
From Aces Try This
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jhe5bx...s_Try_This.rar
Torpedoraum Typ II for Postalbyke
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...16&postcount=1
WAC5.0 Full_Interior
https://www.mediafire.com/file/jlrds...ll_Interior.7z
Old 11-01-19, 11:35 AM   #1597
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061 View Post
I've always like Aces interior, especially the helmsmen only appearing when the sub is submerged as it should be.

I just wish the command room camera view was closer to the observation scope vs. under the conning tower hatch.
Looked in the cr.dat file, but not sure what to change.
Old 11-16-19, 10:45 PM   #1598
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253
Default Just FYI for Steam Users

Hey all. Had to get a new PC.

The following below is the mod list I am using with my Steam/Win10 setup including SH3 Commander.

1. Runs well.
2. Stock resolution on a 34 inch monitor looks good enough. Actually not bad.
3. Nothing flashy but still good fun and enjoyment.
4. As you can see, not running any HSIE et al setups. I am fine with that.
5. Of interest with this Mod list you get Lifeboat debris, SHIFT V and CNTRL V for the RDF antenna, SHIFT F and CNTRL F for the flag.
6. Incredibly nice ship buoyancy.
7. I prefer MEPS for the way it does night time and overall look.
8. Again, lots of fun.

NYGM Tonnage War V2.5 – Stand Alone Version
NYGM3_New
NYGM3_6F
NYGM_2017A
IABLShipsforNYGM_New_Thomsen
3rd Flotilla Mod
Enhanced Nav Map Plotting Tools
Harbor Traffic Add-In
Single Merchant Contact Mod
NYGM_HiRes_Submarines_3_6F
Hitman Optics NYGM 3.6 (Fixed)
CaptainAmericaOfficerIcons
Johnfb's Red Light Crew Management
RadioMessage - MorseCodeOnly
M.E.P v5 with GREEN Water
Optional - FSF for MEP v5 with GREEN Water
Optional - ShipVanishingHull for MEP v5 with GREEN Water
M.E.P v5 - VisualSensors for NYGM 3.6D

---Forgot to mention
If you are looking for amazing flash and Rolls Royce Wide Screen, experience in NYGM.... Makman has this:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=242420

I traditionally use the older Hitman for older VIIs and IXs and the Hitman GUI for everything else. Amazing how the 1.5x and 6x zoom in the periscope gives good visual references with range on the mils scale... scary even when you run all your numbers and the stopwatch isn't far off on target impact.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM

Last edited by Leoz; 11-16-19 at 11:05 PM.
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-19, 12:24 AM   #1599
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoz View Post

The following below is the mod list I am using with my Steam/Win10 setup including SH3 Commander.

1. Runs well.
4. As you can see, not running any HSIE et al setups. I am fine with that.
5. Of interest with this Mod list you get Lifeboat debris, SHIFT V and CNTRL V for the RDF antenna, SHIFT F and CNTRL F for the flag.
6. Incredibly nice ship buoyancy.
7. I prefer MEPS for the way it does night time and overall look.
8. Again, lots of fun.

NYGM3_New
NYGM3_6F
NYGM_2017A
3rd Flotilla Mod
Harbor Traffic Add-In
Hitman Optics NYGM 3.6 (Fixed)
CaptainAmericaOfficerIcons

---Forgot to mention
If you are looking for amazing flash and Rolls Royce Wide Screen, experience in NYGM.... Makman has this:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=242420

I traditionally use the older Hitman for older VIIs and IXs and the Hitman GUI for everything else. Amazing how the 1.5x and 6x zoom in the periscope gives good visual references with range on the mils scale... scary even when you run all your numbers and the stopwatch isn't far off on target impact.

Hitman's stuff is the best. Why aren't you running Hsie/Stiebler's patches ?
Old 11-17-19, 02:22 AM   #1600
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

Quote:

1. Runs well.
4. As you can see, not running any HSIE et al setups. I am fine with that
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
Hitman's stuff is the best. Why aren't you running Hsie/Stiebler's patches ?
Hi Leoz
Given that everyone plays as they like, I agree with @jonn_Pancoast, hsie patch adds much more realism ... but as I said it's a personal opinion
Old 11-18-19, 05:13 AM   #1601
Leoz
Ensign

Yeah, it was a matter of my situation.

Being a Steam users there are some hoops to jump through to get HSIE et al up and running.

I had just got the new PC and am happy to do without those nice add-ons as:

1. I don't have a traditional DVD of SHIII which makes the process easier.
2. I used to play the old board wargames so I am used to self imposed rules. Example: when one can load torpedoes; when they can be brought in from deck storage and a variety of of other things.
3. If you look a few posts back you will note I did that hack with LSH to get HSIE in an NYGM environment on my last PC.
4. The above will show someone new to the game, let us say someone who just downloaded SHIII on Steam and loves the history, some encouragement.
5. Interesting with the latest '17 update to NYGM, without the HSIE et al..... the convoy, wolfpack setup works pretty well. I have run into convoys that have been beat up by the AI wolfpack and sometimes in complete disorder.
6. Anyway, I am enjoying the heck out of it. Someday if I get a DVD I will set it up properly with the HSIE et al.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Old 11-18-19, 06:32 AM   #1602
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Yeah, it was a matter of my situation.

Being a Steam users there are some hoops to jump through to get HSIE et al up and running.

I had just got the new PC and am happy to do without those nice add-ons as:

1. I don't have a traditional DVD of SHIII which makes the process easier.
2. I used to play the old board wargames so I am used to self imposed rules. Example: when one can load torpedoes; when they can be brought in from deck storage and a variety of of other things.
3. If you look a few posts back you will note I did that hack with LSH to get HSIE in an NYGM environment on my last PC.
4. The above will show someone new to the game, let us say someone who just downloaded SHIII on Steam and loves the history, some encouragement.
5. Interesting with the latest '17 update to NYGM, without the HSIE et al..... the convoy, wolfpack setup works pretty well. I have run into convoys that have been beat up by the AI wolfpack and sometimes in complete disorder.
6. Anyway, I am enjoying the heck out of it. Someday if I get a DVD I will set it up properly with the HSIE et al.

Nothing wrong with playing the game the way one wants to ! I'm doing the same.
Heck, I have a vanilla campaign going with Hsie/Stiebler and a few other patches that some would think I'm crazy doing, but it's great fun too (I'm not a fan of the slow sinking mod in some mega-mods, i.e.).
For that matter, I have another going in AOD.

Regarding #2 and #5 of your post:

2. Me too ! Still have some old boardgames. I actually don't use the Hsie torpedo loading options, but self-impose them myself. I also don't attack with windspeeds above 10 m/s though the game allows it. Converting those windspeeds to the Beaufort scale would have made attacks impossible in real life I believe.
Only surface attacks at night though the game allows otherwise, etc.

I have similar rules I use in AOD.

5. I've experienced this too, with the Hsie/Stiebler patches fwiw. As you probably know, NYGM has a few convoys with a wolfpack attached that becomes activated when the player is near enough.

I've never bothered with Steam. Don't think I ever will; seems to cause nothing but problems.

Have fun !
Old 11-24-19, 03:28 AM   #1603
Leoz
Ensign

Of interest, early Hitman allows for the:

Shift+ F / Cntrl + F ( flag up/flag down)
Shift +V / Cntrl + F (RDF up/RDF down)

The following newer Hitman GUI does not:

NYGM3_New
NYGM3_6F
NYGM_2017A
Harbor Traffic Add-In
Hitman_GUI_NYGM3_1.0

--Personal preferences: as I have mentioned before, I tend to use the early Hitman on 7B and 9B boats, and Hitman GUI for anything newer.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM

Last edited by Leoz; 11-25-19 at 04:52 AM.
Old 11-24-19, 03:34 AM   #1604
Leoz
Ensign

Default Single merchant traffic off of East U.S. April '42.

Interesting.

Have seen this before but not enough times to know if it is consistent.

April '42.

Between Norfolk and Charleston, off U.S. coast.

I am only seeing tankers as single merchants. No freighters. I have seen this before on a few patrols but I don't know enough about the scripting of traffic to know anymore.

Example: 4 tankers within a week. No freighters.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Old 11-25-19, 12:00 PM   #1605
Paroni
Seaman

Downloads: 1020
Default Missing aircraft

Hello!
Question is:In my campaign ,Nygm,summer 1941,only airplanes
are Fairey Swordfishes and Hurricanes.Could be fix that?
Paroni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
torpedos through hull