SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-13-19, 05:35 AM   #1
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 0
Default CPU fan not stoping after shutdown and start up problems!!!

Recently my Pc come up with a odd behaviour. Can not startup unless I turn off my PSU.
I hit the power button, the leds and fans start up but everything goes off. Then they do the same thing over and over.

Only way to switch on the computer is to turn off the PSU, wait a little and then every thing runs fine. PC star up, windows loads and works fine.

If I shutdown for like 2/2:30 hours, I can turn it on fine. If more, like 8h (from one day to the other day), the problem exist.

And yesterday after I shutdown I decided to take a look and I found out that my cpu fan does not stop spinning.

GPU,PSU and case fans stop, the CPU one not, unless the PSU is turn off (lovely).

I recently did some upgrade to my PC, put a SSD for OS and programs, My old HHD for data storage, more memory-12 gb ddr3 and 64bit OS - Windows 7.

All was well, SH3 with the heavy mods that i couldn't run before.

The only change I did recently (3 weeks ago) was getting a new GPU. My old Geforce 9800 GT was basically one jet engine, the sound of the fan was loud. After doing some research, I got a geforce gtx 1050.

My doubts were a 730 with a passive sink, and I think, even with 2gb ddr3 was inferior to my old card or a gpu with a active sink but a silent one.

My board as only pci express 2.0 16x, the new gpu is a 3.0 - can this be the cause of all the problems?

The situation I am telling here, just arouse 2 weeks after I had installed the new graphic card.
Did my PSU may need to be replaced since it is old and possible becoming faulty?

Any thoughts, advices?

Spcs
Mobo - Asus P755D-E deluxe
CPU - Intel I5
GPU - asus nvidia geforce gtx 1050 2gb dd5
Ram - 12 gb Kingston (one is hyper fury)
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-19, 07:47 AM   #2
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

At a guess I'd say there is a problem with the PSU, "you can't turn the psu on if it is already on". Is there another supply to the PC maybe an external usb supply is back feeding and running the fan telling the PC it is still running.
Very odd condition and hard to evaluate without seeing it.
does the PSU have an external switch, if so try turning it off there.
Another thing to try is cleaning power supply plugs with electrical cleaner in case of a bad connection. Not sure what else to suggest.
Good Luck.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-19, 11:34 AM   #3
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

I can turn off and on the PSU,because it has a external switch. That's how a turn it off and on with out take the power cable from it.
About a usb, I forgot to mention,but I have a dvdi-d to VGA,because I still have a CRT monitor. The adaptar has a usb plug to provide power.
I will remove it and see if the fan still goes.
Old 08-14-19, 03:05 AM   #4
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Default Culprit found!

I removed the usb plug from dvi-d to vga adapter and the cpu fan stopped!!! Lovely, now the rest of the test. This morning, before going to work, I switch on my pc and presto, it power up fine, post done and worked fine.

I thought, well...there goes my old and faithful samsung flat screen crt 17'', since with out the usb plug, the adapter should not work.

I hit the power button of the screen and just come up displaying the image fine and normal. What the deuce?

Hope things now return to normal!

Reece, thanks for your help and mention an usb power connection!
Old 08-14-19, 10:49 PM   #5
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

Just a quick thought, when ever I'm in doubt with an old(er) PC acting funky, the first thing I'll do is replace the CPU keep-alive battery on the mobo.

Its a cheap and easy thing to try (and often effective) plus it forces you to closely examine the mobo and cards seated on it. The battery isn't as much of an issue on newer systems, however an old, dead battery can still cause problems related to DC power.

ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-19, 04:11 AM   #6
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
Just a quick thought, when ever I'm in doubt with an old(er) PC acting funky, the first thing I'll do is replace the CPU keep-alive battery on the mobo.

Its a cheap and easy thing to try (and often effective) plus it forces you to closely examine the mobo and cards seated on it. The battery isn't as much of an issue on newer systems, however an old, dead battery can still cause problems related to DC power.

Yes, I didn't mention the mobo battery because it was replace when I upgraded. Before that, the PC could not even wake up from standby/sleep option. Then again, from 2013 to 2019 the old battery had already done his duty for king and country!
Old 08-15-19, 06:56 AM   #7
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Reece, thanks for your help and mention an usb power connection!
Only too happy to help where I can.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote