SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-24-22, 09:08 PM   #1
CapitainEA
Seaman

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 Tips & Tricks

Hi all captains, In this video I reveal the secret passage for SCAPA FLOW (see first video at 3 mins)

ps: pay attention to the anti-submarine barrier, if you hit it at high speed it will seriously damage your submarine ....

Cordially Captain_PUJOL

and here's what you can find there...

Last edited by CapitainEA; 09-11-22 at 01:19 PM.
CapitainEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-22, 11:08 AM   #2
CapitainEA
Seaman

TIP FROM AN OLD SEAL TO INCREASE YOUR CHANCE OF HITTING A WRONG ANGLED SHIP IN HAND SHOT: captains during a manuel fire when the targeted boat is badly angled, prefer to set the dispersion of your torpedoes to 0, because in this case your torpedoes will disperse naturally .

In this video the QUEEN MARY is badly angled (AOB 27°). With this trick at 11:40 you can see that I hit this boat twice in the center and twice aft, allowing me to sink it.

Cordially, Captain_PUJOL

Last edited by CapitainEA; 09-24-22 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-01-22, 04:12 PM   #3
CapitainEA
Seaman

TIP FOR CALCULATING THE SPEED OF A SHIP WITHOUT HAVING TO STOP THE MACHINES: Hi all captains, to know the speed of a ship, I advise you to use the method performed in this video. Indeed, the latter allows you to get closer to the ship, without stopping the machines.

see at 13min40 in this video, noticing that I am far from the target, I put the machines back at full speed to get closer and thus perform my second bearing of a more favorable position .

PROTOCOL: take two points of the vessel's heading at minimum intervals of two minutes. Draw a line between these two points and measure it. This will give you the distance the ship has traveled in two minutes (see at 8 mins & 22 mins in this video).

ps: but the ideal is 3 to 4 minutes like in this video. Indeed, this allows you to have an estimate of the speed of the ship much closer to reality, because a boat always accelerates and decelerates. And yes, they are big fat whales ,)

All you have to do is use this formula to calculate the exact speed of the target ship.

Speed ​​= Distance / Time

Example from this video:

Time interval between the two points: 4 mins

Distance between the two points: 1460 m

V = 1460 / 4 = 365 m/min

To convert from m/mins to knots multiply the number by 0.0324

365 x 0.0324 = 11.83 = 12 knots

All you have to do is put this data in the right "SPEED" dial. Nevertheless, I advise you to put one knot less so 11, because the boat always slows down when it sees torpedoes coming.

Cordially. Captain_PUJOL

Last edited by CapitainEA; 09-24-22 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-11-22, 12:29 PM   #4
CapitainEA
Seaman

Hi all captains,

MY NEW TIP FOR SHORT RANGE MANUAL SHOOTING: When the enemy ship is too close and you can't calculate its distance with the RAOBF disc. As the max zoom of the periscope is x6.1 and the minimum zoom is x1.5 and:

6.1 / 1.5 = 4

So multiply all your periscope readings x1.5 by 4, this avoids having to take the head to take too large marks with the zoom x6.1 .

Example: in this video at 9 mins in x1.5 zoom the boat is at 4 vertical marks and 22 horizontal marks so respectively at zoom x6.1 the boat is at 16 (4x4) and 88 (22x4).

In this video, this trick allowed me to sink this boat during a storm, because I was able to get very close to it. Otherwise I would never have been able to do it, because the visibility was almost nil...

Good viewing and good wind captains .

Cordially. Captain_PUJOL

Last edited by CapitainEA; 09-25-22 at 05:18 AM.
Old 10-01-22, 11:49 AM   #5
CapitainEA
Seaman

Hi all captains

TIP FROM AN OLD SEAL FOR A GOOD MANUAL SHOT: Captains when hand firing make sure your target is within the range 330°-350° if coming from port (left) or 010°-030° if coming to starboard (right). In both of these cases if the boat is leaking (as is the case with the first boat in this video) or the target is badly angled (as is the case with the second boat in this video) you will have better luck to hit and therefore sink your targets. It is therefore preferable to change the course of your submarine a little to make sure you hit the target, because torpedoes are expensive. Indeed, you can see on this video at 38mins30 that I put all the machines on and that I change course. Before this maneuver the boat is at 002 degrees AOB 35°. After this maneuver the target is at 340° AOB 50, which is a very good position for a manual shot .

Cordially

Captain_PUJOL

Old 11-05-22, 01:29 PM   #6
CapitainEA
Seaman

NEW TIP FOR SINKING SHIPS ON THE SURFACE IN MAXIMAL DIFFICULTY: this shot is normally impossible to do in reality, because the list of the submarine does not allow it.
However, in SH4 it is possible to do this shot using the game's pause option . But captains, I advise you to carry out surface shots only at night and when visibility is almost zero, because during the Second World War cargo ships were equipped with deck guns like German submarines .

Cordially

Captain PUJOL

Last edited by CapitainEA; 11-06-22 at 11:10 AM.