SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-14-22, 10:24 PM   #1
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0
Default Detecting a hard to detect sub

Just did a single mission vs a Sierra class SSN. I started the mission with a bearing but lost contact as soon as the mission started. I briefly regained contact some time later but quite quickly lost it again.
I eventually found him when he pinged me when I got too close to the surface and started cavitating. I launched down the bearing, he did the same, and a knife fight ensued; we traded torpedoes and I think he got hit by his own torp, I was too busy avoiding his to notice when he got hit.

Anyways, what are some of the best practices when I'm trying to find a sneaky little bugger?
Zero Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-22, 10:09 AM   #2
steel shark
XO

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 5

radar a few ways not 100% tho of coarse

their are a few ways but they not totally going to work all ways depending on a few factors like :

sea conditions so noise

your own vessels sensors

any layer or ducts that are present

and proximity to the sea floor

your own vessel noise so speed ect

a few basic things you can do are :

all ways check the conditions panel first to check the noise and if their are layers & ducts also note their strength

be sure to see were the sea floor is too ofc crash diving in to the sea bottom is not good

when you see a contact if theirs a duct or layer you will see a small arrow pointing up or down in the contacts data panel this tells you that contacts position to the layer so above or below ect good for fast information for if its a sub as if it's below then you know ect their are whales too tho so bear that in mind

as for cant find things try a few tricks :

if theirs a layer try going below or above it then listen awhile also if you not using a towed array set speed to ZERO Knots

if you have a towed array deploy it in the original game this is done automatically if you have one set speed to 5 knots also

do turns to point your bow sonar indifferent positions

fire a decoy to maybe lure something out

fire a torpedo if its got active go active once its far from you so use it like a fishing lure

or go active sonar your self this is a last resort thing tho as it gives your position away if doing this go deep first so you have a good amount of depth above you to give you more time to get away from were you were

Hope any of this helps you

Steel Shark
Old 04-15-22, 12:44 PM   #3
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 69

Thanks. I should add that there was a weak duct and layer, and there was a storm so the environment was already quite noisy - 102 dB.
I did another quick mission, this time I picked up (by coincidence) another Sierra. Was able to kill him without him firing a shot.
Zero Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-22, 11:21 AM   #4
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 343

all good point as noted above.

always check the DB level and layer since they impact how far you can detect.

U.S. subs are generally quieter can detect enemy subs farther, so important to go slow 5 knots/ultra quiet right away and then just search in a zig zag pattern towards last known contact trying various depths above and below any layer.

If you think the target sub is far, you can also use the sprint/drift technique. Sprint forward at 10-15 knots for 1-2 km, then slow to 5 knots/ultra quiet and search the area. Use with care though since going fast makes you easier to detect by enemy subs.
Old 04-17-22, 05:40 PM   #5
Oubaas
中国水兵

Downloads: 65

You mean this guy? Run silent, run deep. I always wanted to say that, LOL!

If he's not dead ahead, turn onto an intercept bearing with the contact and go to silent running immediately.

Do your TMA and classify him. Try to get off the first shot.

If he does fire, use decoys and knuckles. Put the layer between you and him if you have to, and be prepared to take evasive action, but don't lose the wire.

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote