SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-10-19, 09:46 PM   #1
rex84
Watch

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0
Icon9 Jello water?

Hello everyone I have been trying to get rid of this problem for many hours now and cant seem to figure out why this happens. Anytime I move the camera up or down the sea starts to slow down. This also happens in the free camera mode.

Things I have tried are Fresh install, install the game on windows 7,and try different settings.

Only thing I haven't tried yet is install windows visa and see if the same thing happens there. Anyone got any good ideas? thanks
rex84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-19, 08:08 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Usually speaking, it is a graphics anomaly caused by shelling-out to Windows, in which a player pauses the game, and either hits the <Windows> key, or uses and <Alt><Tab> or <Ctrl><Tab> combination. Another way it can happen is by having a mis-match in your graphics display. If you have a monitor that has a "native" resolution of 1920x1024, set your Windows display to that same 1920x1024 resolution, which should show as "recommended" in the Windows graphics dialog. Once you are in the game next time, use the "Options" menu and "Graphic Display" to set your game to that same setting. Use the drop-down box toward the upper left, and scroll through the list to find a match. If you don't shell-out, and you do have the display set correctly, then are you running any mods? If so, can you list them? Also list your computer specs, OS & graphics card and display.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-19, 09:31 AM   #3
rex84
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Usually speaking, it is a graphics anomaly caused by shelling-out to Windows, in which a player pauses the game, and either hits the <Windows> key, or uses and <Alt><Tab> or <Ctrl><Tab> combination. Another way it can happen is by having a mis-match in your graphics display. If you have a monitor that has a "native" resolution of 1920x1024, set your Windows display to that same 1920x1024 resolution, which should show as "recommended" in the Windows graphics dialog. Once you are in the game next time, use the "Options" menu and "Graphic Display" to set your game to that same setting. Use the drop-down box toward the upper left, and scroll through the list to find a match. If you don't shell-out, and you do have the display set correctly, then are you running any mods? If so, can you list them? Also list your computer specs, OS & graphics card and display.
My specs are windows 10 or windows 7 with a GTX 1080 and a intel core i7 6700k with 16 gigs of ram. I think my display is set up correctly but I can do a double check just in case and currently running no mods. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-11-19, 09:51 AM   #4
propbeanie

You're welcome. Next time you get the Jello-water, Save the game, name the Save a new name, and exit. Re-start the game, load that Save, and see if it doesn't go away, at least for a while...

Old 11-11-19, 11:44 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

rex84!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-19, 12:06 PM   #6
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > rex84
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

Changing The Nvidia GPU Settings > Essential Settings > Pictorial

Override High DPI Scaling Behavior > Pictorial

Setup the Games graphics to match your systems.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-19, 02:34 PM   #7
rex84
Watch

Here is a video I made showing the problem. You can see the water trembling.

Old 11-11-19, 04:00 PM   #8
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi rex
You have set the in game graphics to run at a refresh rate of 144hz is that the same as your systems?
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-19, 04:30 PM   #9
propbeanie

Also, when you go into the conning tower there about 1:20 of your vid, for just a few seconds, look at the lights on the torpedo panel on the upper right flash randomly. That usually signifies an induced graphics glitch, either from shelling out to the Windows desktop, or something in Windows interfering with the game, or the graphics not display settings not matching, as THEBERBSTER suggests. Jello water, the CO2 getting stuck, the crew looking like they're preparing for calisthenics, and other strangeness can all occur from that.

Old 11-11-19, 06:23 PM   #10
rex84
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi rex
You have set the in game graphics to run at a refresh rate of 144hz is that the same as your systems?
Peter
yes and I even lowered it to see if it would make a difference but no such luck.
Old 11-11-19, 06:26 PM   #11
rex84
Watch

Quote:
Also, when you go into the conning tower there about 1:20 of your vid, for just a few seconds, look at the lights on the torpedo panel on the upper right flash randomly. That usually signifies an induced graphics glitch, either from shelling out to the Windows desktop, or something in Windows interfering with the game, or the graphics not display settings not matching, as THEBERBSTER suggests. Jello water, the CO2 getting stuck, the crew looking like they're preparing for calisthenics, and other strangeness can all occur from that.
Not sure what to do now since I tried everything other than install windows vista for this game and I don't want to do that.
Old 11-11-19, 09:14 PM   #12
propbeanie

You don't have to install Vista. This should run on all Windows OSes from XP through and including 10 with the latest updates. It will run on an nVidia GTX 6200 AGP (not too well now, mind you, but it runs), all the way through the latest / greatest PCIe cards with more VRAM than my current computer has.

How are you running the display at 144hz? What make / model of display are you using, and what is the connection type between the video card and the display? HDMI? Are there other choices in the games Graphic Options menu for lower refresh rates at a resolution that matches your display? If you right-click on your computer desktop, and choose the Windows "Display settings" from that context menu, after Settings / Display opens, do you see a drop-down for "Resolution"? Does it have "(Recommended)" next to the resolultion number? If you scroll down that page a bit, and choose "Advanced display settings", it will show "Desktop resolution" and "Active signal resolution". They are not editiable there, but should match. The actual refresh rate will be listed below those two. Back at the main Display page, if you choose the "Graphics settings" below that "Advanced display settings", you might have a choice for "Graphics performance preference". If that is set to "Universal app", try "Classic app" instead. You might also have several specific app names to choose from. SH4 is an old DirectX v9.0c app, and might benefit from a "Diablo II" choice, if you have that named... Otherwise, as THEBERBSTER has in his tutorials, it is rather straight forward.

A few more things to remember with SH4, is that this is not SH5, which has better water. Another thing is that the game is an old DirectX v9.0c game, and was intended to be run at 1024x768 on a 60Hz CRT at 30fps. It does look wonderful on my 1920x1080 27" ViewSonic, but I am running at 60Hz, and limited to 30fps (not a necessity usually). Also remember that when the sea is calm in SH4, it has a tendency to look a bit like it might do "jello" anyway. Try a mod, and see if you like that water better. Lastly, in your video, for SH4, the time of day of your start, the sea-state with no apparent wind, it's really not bad. There are some older vidz around, and I had one of my own a while back (probably never to be found again), and those are much worse than what you are seeing there. I've searched on ToobYu, and couldn't find one of the old examples...

Old 11-11-19, 09:34 PM   #13
rex84
Watch

Quote:
You don't have to install Vista. This should run on all Windows OSes from XP through and including 10 with the latest updates. It will run on an nVidia GTX 6200 AGP (not too well now, mind you, but it runs), all the way through the latest / greatest PCIe cards with more VRAM than my current computer has.

How are you running the display at 144hz? What make / model of display are you using, and what is the connection type between the video card and the display? HDMI? Are there other choices in the games Graphic Options menu for lower refresh rates at a resolution that matches your display? If you right-click on your computer desktop, and choose the Windows "Display settings" from that context menu, after Settings / Display opens, do you see a drop-down for "Resolution"? Does it have "(Recommended)" next to the resolultion number? If you scroll down that page a bit, and choose "Advanced display settings", it will show "Desktop resolution" and "Active signal resolution". They are not editiable there, but should match. The actual refresh rate will be listed below those two. Back at the main Display page, if you choose the "Graphics settings" below that "Advanced display settings", you might have a choice for "Graphics performance preference". If that is set to "Universal app", try "Classic app" instead. You might also have several specific app names to choose from. SH4 is an old DirectX v9.0c app, and might benefit from a "Diablo II" choice, if you have that named... Otherwise, as THEBERBSTER has in his tutorials, it is rather straight forward.

A few more things to remember with SH4, is that this is not SH5, which has better water. Another thing is that the game is an old DirectX v9.0c game, and was intended to be run at 1024x768 on a 60Hz CRT at 30fps. It does look wonderful on my 1920x1080 27" ViewSonic, but I am running at 60Hz, and limited to 30fps (not a necessity usually). Also remember that when the sea is calm in SH4, it has a tendency to look a bit like it might do "jello" anyway. Try a mod, and see if you like that water better. Lastly, in your video, for SH4, the time of day of your start, the sea-state with no apparent wind, it's really not bad. There are some older vidz around, and I had one of my own a while back (probably never to be found again), and those are much worse than what you are seeing there. I've searched on ToobYu, and couldn't find one of the old examples...
thanks for the feed back its just very distracting seeing the water freeze up when I move my mouse up or down.

my model of display are BenQ XL2411Z DVI About the resolution I always run 1920x1080 144hz and that is the recommended settings. I have tried a lower resolution with 60hz but it didn't make a dent. I also tested the hdmi cable I had but I got the same results. What I want to know is this shaking water build into the game or does the water shake because the game is old and we are running better cpu's and gpu's that the game cant understand? When I first played the game years ago I never noticed the shaking water before. I still have one ace on my sleeve and that is installing windows vista or windows xp on my ssd and see if it still happens there and if it does than its probably gpu or cpu related and not operating system related.

Last edited by rex84; 11-11-19 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-12-19, 01:46 AM   #14
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

You know, i always had this trembling water on stock vanilla SH4!
My rig isn’t that bad though... I7, GTX 1050 ti, 32 GB RAM, Win 10 64 bits.
I had it also with my previous rig before it died (I5, GTX 580, Win7 64)
I have the correct refresh rate, my monitor is a Samsung SA850 60Hz.

As soon as i get any mod running (TMO, FOTRSU, OMEGU etc) with a new scene.dat, the trembling water is gone.
To me, it has to do with the sea speed setting inside the scene.dat
Because if i lower this sea speed setting in any scene.dat of those mod, the bad water rendering is back...
Any mod out there, has the see speed much higher than stock SH4. With the exception of KSD II, whose water isn’t very good at all (at least on my rig) and close to the trembling water rendering...
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-19, 09:36 AM   #15
rex84
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
You know, i always had this trembling water on stock vanilla SH4!
My rig isn’t that bad though... I7, GTX 1050 ti, 32 GB RAM, Win 10 64 bits.
I had it also with my previous rig before it died (I5, GTX 580, Win7 64)
I have the correct refresh rate, my monitor is a Samsung SA850 60Hz.

As soon as i get any mod running (TMO, FOTRSU, OMEGU etc) with a new scene.dat, the trembling water is gone.
To me, it has to do with the sea speed setting inside the scene.dat
Because if i lower this sea speed setting in any scene.dat of those mod, the bad water rendering is back...
Any mod out there, has the see speed much higher than stock SH4. With the exception of KSD II, whose water isn’t very good at all (at least on my rig) and close to the trembling water rendering...
I tried running mods with it but didn't make a difference maybe I can edit these setting myself, whats the line of code for sea speed? thanks