SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-28-20, 02:18 PM   #1
Der Wolf des Meeres
Nub

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter 5 Draw Distance

Hi, just wondering did anyone ever fix the draw distance being too low to spot ships? I see that the crew spot the ships before me. If anybody has an answer, I'm eager to hear it!
Der Wolf des Meeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-20, 02:33 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Der Wulf des Meeres!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-20, 07:12 PM   #3
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31

I do not think that draw distance has anything to do with it. I rather would say that is not the captain's task and that is why they have the crew call ships out even though uou cannot (yet) see them.

I use the WO's bearing all the time. (Nearest visual contact) whenever the watch crew calls out.

Then the UZO. (Useless at 22Km).

I use the gunner to identify the target or, if I feel like it, I do it myself. I have other things to worry about really.

OLtzS Ashikaga
Old 09-29-20, 01:20 PM   #4
Der Wolf des Meeres
Nub

Thanks for the reply Ashikaga, I think you have a brilliant point there.
I'll leave the spotting crew to do their work and focus on ships as they get closer. BTW what is the usual distance ships can spot my sub when surfaced, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 10-05-20, 04:03 AM   #5
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31

It depends. Kind of a hit and miss. Best way to get close is in light to medium fog. But I just sank a town lend lease destroyer that appeared on my bow at 6400 meters without spotting me (night).

Basically you should not get within 5Km when the weather is fine. Better dive and full speed ahead for about half an hour depending on intercept course and their speed.

If they are way faster I leave it or just shadow them.

OLtzS Ashikaga
Old 10-06-20, 01:30 PM   #6
Der Wolf des Meeres
Nub

Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-04-20, 11:37 AM   #7
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

I hope Ashikaga won't mind if I I make a little addition to his reply.

SH5's Draw Distance has little to do with the problem described by Der Wolf des Meeres.

I make myself clearer. If memory serves, the rendering distance in stock game is 20 km from player's boat. Beyond this radius any unit becomes a simple point on map; the game will still keep track of its position, course and speed, but all other physical properties are cleared so, indeed, neither watch crew nor the player will be able to see/hear/detect anything beyond this fixed limit.

TDW's patcher provides an easy way to increase the radius of SH5's 3D world. Watch crew might benefit from it (though other factors like sensor's max range, weather conditions, ambient light, etc. will concur to determine the actual visual detection range). Yet, player's visual is mostly limited by a bunch of other factors graphic, like screen resolution and monitor gamma;I doubt that increasing drawing distance beyond 20 km will make captain's eyes sharper that they currently are (not).
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-20, 11:31 AM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

once in awhile, I learn something new and really worthwhile... draw distance! kudos 2 the 3 of U!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote