SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-28-20, 09:53 PM   #151
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0
Default New Install

With Microsoft dropping support for Windows 7 and my computer being a bit of a relic I now have a new (YAY) beast of a PC with Win 10 pro on it.

I did an install of SH4 and it is up and running just fine so far with my favorite mods but I have just one question.

During the install I was prompted to register my product with UBI. I declined, but I expect to get prompted to register it again in a few days.

Is there ANY reason at all I should need to do this? Anything negative at all that would affect my game by not registering it?

Install was from the Gold edition CD.

Thank you in advance.

Support Subsim http://www.subsim.com/store.html
RickC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-20, 11:27 PM   #152
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

RickC Sniper, u were overdue from patrol...nice two-year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-20, 03:53 AM   #153
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC Sniper View Post

During the install I was prompted to register my product with UBI. I declined, but I expect to get prompted to register it again in a few days.

Is there ANY reason at all I should need to do this? Anything negative at all that would affect my game by not registering it?

I don't see why. I doub't there is much of a benefit to it. Patches are readily available if you need them. (well, up to 1.5 Uboat missions) I've never bothered and can't remember I ever got a nag pop-up from it.
Old 08-29-20, 09:27 AM   #154
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:

Thank you in advance.
no.
registering just identifies you to Ubi as a licensed user. Ubi would use it for updates, notices, etc but since Ubi doesn't do that for SH4 anymore, not-registering will have no effect on your use. party-out, dude!

good luck and good hunting!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-20, 01:28 PM   #155
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
With Microsoft dropping support for Windows 7 and my computer being a bit of a relic I now have a new (YAY) beast of a PC with Win 10 pro on it.

I did an install of SH4 and it is up and running just fine so far with my favorite mods but I have just one question.

Thank you in advance.
Look in the folder that you installed SH4 to; you should see a folder marked "RegistrationReminder". Delete that folder and it will never come up again.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-20, 03:09 PM   #156
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

Downloads: 132

Thanks guys.

Support Subsim http://www.subsim.com/store.html
RickC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-20, 01:55 PM   #157
trebby
Medic

Downloads: 210

So....

Tried to reinstall SH4 under WIN10, and tried all above for a day.

No joy.

Utterly frustrated, decided its another time, and got UBOAT on steam sale.

UBOAT didnt ignite with me yet, reverted to boardgames.

Had to update IRFANVIEW program to scan a depth gauge to print, and clicked SH4 exe for the heck of it as I scrolled by....

It launched!!!

So, FWIW, IRFANVIEW seems to get me back...

Edit: now SH5 also works again...

Last edited by trebby; 09-21-20 at 12:25 AM.
trebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-20, 06:37 PM   #158
LCQ_SH
Lieutenant

Downloads: 175
Icon9 windows 10 in new rig, new problems!!

Hi everyone.

So I upgraded my rig, and after reading everything and tested everything I could, I concluded that my laptop doesn't want to run SH4 in any resolution but 1024x768 in windowed mode. On that resolution, it works like a charm (intel grpahics, as it doesn't like my nvidia, although it doesn't need it), but now I'm out of ideas. The big question is if there is a solution for that. (I've tried the cgf files, I already checked the net framework thing, and all good, LAA, etc.) Mostly, everything was covered and I ran out of ideas...

Some of my specs.
GTX 1660 Ti
Windows 10 10.0.18363 18363 and 16GB RAM.

Many thanks to all.
LCQ_SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-20, 04:03 PM   #159
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

With my 'modern' Win10 laptop, I have the Windows display settings the same as the "Native" resolution of the display monitor, and have the game set the same. I do not have a dual-card set-up like you though... but anyway, matching that, and then I right-click the SH4.exe file, and choose "Properties", and then the "Compatibility" tab. Just for SnGs, I chose "Run as an administrator" (it should not be necessary), since I was there, but the thing that helped it to actually function correctly was to click on the "Change high DPI settings", and I chose "High DPI scaling Overide - Overide high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by: <Application>". That did the trick for my laptop.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-20, 06:22 PM   #160
LCQ_SH
Lieutenant

Downloads: 175
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
With my 'modern' Win10 laptop, I have the Windows display settings the same as the "Native" resolution of the display monitor, and have the game set the same. I do not have a dual-card set-up like you though... but anyway, matching that, and then I right-click the SH4.exe file, and choose "Properties", and then the "Compatibility" tab. Just for SnGs, I chose "Run as an administrator" (it should not be necessary), since I was there, but the thing that helped it to actually function correctly was to click on the "Change high DPI settings", and I chose "High DPI scaling Overide - Overide high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by: <Application>". That did the trick for my laptop.
Awesome man, fatastic! Simple as that. Hopefully, that simple trick could be posted somewhere and save a lot of time for the 'new computer windows 10' guys.

All the best!
LCQ_SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 07:37 PM   #161
P|A|ntZ
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 3

I had this issue initially after installing SH4, it would seem to be launching but then blank screen.

It turns out my Windows setting was running apps not in their native resolution. If you go into Settings > Display, there's a setting to zoom text, apps, etc. Make sure this is set at 100%. After I adjusted that, the game runs fine.

I hope this helps other Win10 users that have the same issue and are frustrated.
P|A|ntZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-20, 09:37 PM   #162
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

P|A|ntZ!I see the infamous seven-year-itch has brought U 2 the surface after a loooong silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-20, 05:46 PM   #163
Yorktown_Class
Lieutenant

Downloads: 64

Just coming back to Silent Hunter 4 after a long time off, and now on Windows 10. I can't get passed the trash that stops the EXE from running except with registry hacks that let it work but crashes all the time, or my computer shuts down and restarts on it's own..

Very sad indeed!
Old 10-30-20, 07:26 PM   #164
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorktown_Class View Post
Just coming back to Silent Hunter 4 after a long time off, and now on Windows 10. I can't get passed the trash that stops the EXE from running except with registry hacks that let it work but crashes all the time, or my computer shuts down and restarts on it's own..

Very sad indeed!

Make sure your SH4 installation is NOT installed in Program Files for starters, even Steam should NOT be installed in Program Files if you are running the Steam version of SH4. Assuming that you're not installed in Program Files then probably Windows Defender is messing with you. I'm using Win10 with no issues.

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-20, 10:24 PM   #165
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Big thing with Windows 10 is to right-click on the SH4.exe and "Run as administrator". Same with the install. Staying out of Program Files is if you intend to mod the game.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote