SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-18-19, 09:28 PM   #1
MADLOU
Gunner

Downloads: 1208
Uploads: 0
Default Anyone seen the new Das Boot TV Miniseries?

It's out now on Hulu with English subtitles. I've seen three quarters of the first episode and its riveting. The sub scenes are very realistic IMHO. Please do not post any spoilers. I just want to know what everyone's general feeling is about the show.
MADLOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-19, 10:51 PM   #2
Holyfirebomb_7
Watch

Downloads: 97

I have to say I rather like the new show, that being said, I do understand the criticism that for a show about submarines there is a lot of shore compared to the submarine sequences but I also understand that a show exclusively on a submarine at sea would be dreadfully boring to wider audiences.
Holyfirebomb_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-19, 01:58 AM   #3
Superesse
Seaman

Downloads: 1

I liked it a lot. Intense all through. I REALLY like that everyone speaks their own language! French, German, British, American. It adds to the realism feeling.

No problem at all with the combination of onshore/offshore events. I see it more as a ww2 drama with lots of submarine action, which is nice!

One question regarding realism though: Is the captain really giving orders like “forward planes down 10 degrees”? Feels too detailed to me.
Superesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-19, 06:14 AM   #4
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superesse View Post
One question regarding realism though: Is the captain really giving orders like “forward planes down 10 degrees”? Feels too detailed to me.
Doesn't seem right to me either. Check the regulations yourself: http://www.uboatarchive.net/Diving/D...egulations.htm
Old 06-19-19, 06:31 AM   #5
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

The first halve of the season are pretty catching. But in the later episodes the submarine crew officer plotlines seem to go along weird curveballs which to me is a bit too hollywood-esque going to the extreme for sensation. There is one scene in one of the final episode that put me off bigtime with a lower crewmember that seems to me to go way out of character to portray seamen (by default) thinking with their center leg, or succumb to peer-pressure. (I hope that is vague enough to not be a spoiler.) I guess the moral of the story in this season is that we will never know exactly what happened out there on the sea. So the above may well have been closer to the truth than I would expect it to be, or would like it to be.
Old 06-22-19, 10:37 AM   #6
doc12
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 72
Default Beards

It appears that the crew does not grow any beards? Am I right? Some have beards already yes. I like the shore scenes better as the sea part has taken a bit of a weird Hollywood twist but it is nice to see a U boat show. ☺️
doc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-19, 11:42 AM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Doc12!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote