SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-17-19, 05:13 AM   #346
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Default 9te UFlottille

I now have my feet under the table at 9te UFlottille... again, you can join Bleiente here for ongoing help with RealModSoup, as well as any questions you have about ducks

http://www.9teuflottille.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8624
Old 02-17-19, 10:10 AM   #347
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Thank you for the link Eichhörnchen! Does Bleiente know anything of squirrels though? He is a tough nut to crack and educate...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-19, 12:35 PM   #348
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Well I asked him about that yesterday after he posted a very interesting piece over there all about Anatidaephobia (fear of ducks)

Also, he has in the last day or so become a moderator but I'm sure they would welcome new members

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 02-18-19 at 03:52 PM.
Eichhörnchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-19, 12:13 PM   #349
DicheBach
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 14

double post

Last edited by DicheBach; 02-21-19 at 12:33 PM.
DicheBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-19, 12:25 PM   #350
DicheBach
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
You are fine starting the game directly from the executable file. Do you have the LAA (Large Address Aware enabled on the SH4.exe file? That definitely helps, especially on larger mods. The best thread for details on LAA is CapnScurvy's Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install. He comes at it from a Windows 10 fresh install of SH4 and its use of LAA, but it applies for the most part, all the way from Vista 64-bit through Win10 64-bit.

Be sure and try Bleiente on his facebook page linked above by Eichhörnchen.
I DID have it all set up when I played the game long ago, and I didn't make any changes to anything. So presumably it is still setup. However . . . my memory of HOW to run the whole thing was definitely rusty.

When I decided I wanted to play the game again, I believe the first thing I tried was to right-click an icon in a folder I keep on my desktop called "Shortcuts" with the name of:
MultiSH41.5.exe - Shortcut

This resulted in this dialog pane coming up:

Which, didn't seem like the functionality I was half expecting, i.e., that it would actually launch the game.

Yes I do have a directory like:
H:\Users\Dichebach\Documents\RAL

And that IS the location to which my save files are writing. So I believe Multi address aware IS running!

Thanks for confirming that launching from the sh4.exe is not too unorthodox that the mods and utilities wouldn't work right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
I now have my feet under the table at 9te UFlottille... again, you can join Bleiente here for ongoing help with RealModSoup, as well as any questions you have about ducks

http://www.9teuflottille.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8624
Thanks! I will pop in there and setup an account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Now, after 5 patrols, i’ve Never encountered any planes... is it normal?
When I set down my career play line a couple weeks back (expecting / hoping to go back and finish it!) I was up to about about . . . summer 42.

I had started in an S boat in Manila and did a few patrols (and sank a lot of stationary IJN ships in port). Eventually, made the move to Fremantle and got my first Salmon (I think?). At which point I headed off to Rabaul harbor. It was on that transit that I encountered my first aircraft. I had two come in from the northwest as I was passing Darwin. I believe I had another two around about Port Moresby and yet another encounter a bit later as I was making the northward leg toward Rabaul.

So that is my experience! No planes for weeks/months, then three or four encounters in the span of a week or ten days.
Old 02-21-19, 12:40 PM   #351
propbeanie

All that MultiSH4 does is re-direct the filemanager in the SH4 folder to write to a different Save folder. If you have a Stock game, and haven't used MultiSH4, the "default..." is still in effect, which in your case would be "H:\Users\Dichebach\Documents\SH4". I have my Documents folder moved to my "F:\" drive, so I have "F:\Users \propbeanie \Documents \SH4", with the game installed in "F:\Games \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific". I made a zip file of the contents of that folder, copied that zip file and pasted it into a "F:\Games \FotRSU" folder that I had made, and then unzipped it. I made a MODS folder inside the FotRSU folder, and downloaded FotRSU into that, unzipped and then activated it. From that, I used MultiSH4 and made myself a "FRS" folder under My Documents for that install. I did similar for a RallesPack folder and put Bleiente's mod in there, ran MultiSH4 from inside its install folder and made me a "RMP" folder in My Documents. That way, I've got separate folders for Stock, FotRSU, and Ralles ModPack, each with their own Save folders.

The SH4 install made an SH4 shortcut on my desktop for me, but I had to make my own shortcuts for the others. You can either go to the Desktop, right-click, choose "New" from the menu, then "Shortcut" and "Browse" to the SH4.exe location, or if you are in the folder already, right-click on the SH4.exe file, choose "Create shortcut", which it will make right in the folder there. Rename it, then cut and paste that on your Desktop. No matter what though, you use the SH4.exe to start the game.

Old 02-21-19, 03:38 PM   #352
DicheBach
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
All that MultiSH4 does is re-direct the filemanager in the SH4 folder to write to a different Save folder. If you have a Stock game, and haven't used MultiSH4, the "default..." is still in effect, which in your case would be "H:\Users\Dichebach\Documents\SH4". I have my Documents folder moved to my "F:\" drive, so I have "F:\Users \propbeanie \Documents \SH4", with the game installed in "F:\Games \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific". I made a zip file of the contents of that folder, copied that zip file and pasted it into a "F:\Games \FotRSU" folder that I had made, and then unzipped it. I made a MODS folder inside the FotRSU folder, and downloaded FotRSU into that, unzipped and then activated it. From that, I used MultiSH4 and made myself a "FRS" folder under My Documents for that install. I did similar for a RallesPack folder and put Bleiente's mod in there, ran MultiSH4 from inside its install folder and made me a "RMP" folder in My Documents. That way, I've got separate folders for Stock, FotRSU, and Ralles ModPack, each with their own Save folders.

The SH4 install made an SH4 shortcut on my desktop for me, but I had to make my own shortcuts for the others. You can either go to the Desktop, right-click, choose "New" from the menu, then "Shortcut" and "Browse" to the SH4.exe location, or if you are in the folder already, right-click on the SH4.exe file, choose "Create shortcut", which it will make right in the folder there. Rename it, then cut and paste that on your Desktop. No matter what though, you use the SH4.exe to start the game.
Ah, so multi-sh4 allows the filemanager to write AND READ (external assets for the game app) from additional directories. Neat!
Old 02-23-19, 02:36 AM   #353
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

« I made a MODS folder inside the FotRSU folder, and downloaded FotRSU into that, unzipped and then activated it »

What if we unzip FOTRSU from an other place than the mods folder?
I have the download on external drive, and I unzip from there to the mods folder; is it a problem?

Side note question:
At a given time, is there a starting base at Midway in Ralles Real Mod Soup?

Last edited by Fifi; 02-23-19 at 02:45 AM.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-19, 01:01 PM   #354
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

^ Fifi, Ralf will be able to answer new questions more promptly if you open an account here:

http://www.9teuflottille.de/phpBB2/v...aj0_CWmqh3TFig
Old 02-24-19, 08:10 PM   #355
DicheBach
Machinist's Mate

To pass along what Ralf conveyed to me (after inquiring about my persistent port side turning torpedoes): he suggested I get hold of his more up-to-date version of the mod pack!

Have got distracted by Pacific Storm: Allies though, but it sounded like a good idea and that is what I plan to do!
Old 03-21-19, 03:57 PM   #356
TS13
Seaman

Downloads: 31

Bleiente,

I tried your mod. Unfortunately, it is too heavy for my machine (a laptop). FPS dropped greatly both near the port and away from land.

Yes, I used a 4Gb patcher, but not the one you provided. The one you provided did not work. I found another one elsewhere.

A good idea might be to offer an alternate scheme for people with my performance problem.

PS. Also: I am interested in Operation Monsun, but it does not seem to be well-maintained currently. It would be great if you ever decided to bring Operation Monsun up to speed.
84% Realism

Last edited by TS13; 03-21-19 at 05:41 PM.
TS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-19, 04:57 PM   #357
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

(^ I have passed this query on to Bleiente)
Old 03-22-19, 05:55 AM   #358
propbeanie

What are your computer specs TS13? ie: cpu type & speed or manufacturer model of laptop? How much RAM is in it, and what OS are you using? Do you happen to know what the video system uses? What is the "native" resolution of the display? Windows calls it "recommended".

Old 03-22-19, 07:14 AM   #359
TS13
Seaman

Downloads: 31

Intel i7-451OU 2.6GHz
16 GB RAM
Monitor 1366x768
NVIDIA GeForce 830M
Windows 10

I was assuming that it was the environmental mod causing the performance issues, but it might not be the case. I will be further testing with just TMO (and moving forward by adding RSDC etc) over the weekend.

Note that I have absolutely no issues with stock SH4.

The Large Address Aware program I used is this one:
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...-aware.112556/
It said that the operation was successful. But is there any way to check if this is actually the case?
84% Realism

Last edited by TS13; 03-22-19 at 07:23 AM.
TS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-19, 07:28 AM   #360
propbeanie

I do not remember which 4gig Patch that comes with Ralles Mod Pack, but I'll refer you to CapnScurvy's comprehensive posting of Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install, especially since your build is right up that alley. I don't even have a tenth of the computer that you have, and Ralles Mod Pack runs very well on my Core Duo quad-core box, with half the ram and vid card... One big thing to remember about mods and Silent Hunter games, is that if you are using the Stock "Save" folder, you ~have~ to empty that "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" folder in order to clear any remnants of the previous game version. The only way around that is to use MultiSH4 and multiple copies of the game, to keep from "cross-contaminating" the game from the Save folder information.

Also, be sure that (if possible), your game's display resolution is set to match the Windows display resolution, which should be set to match the monitors "Native" resolution, which will show in Windows as "Recommended". If you happen to have a high-end monitor, you might not find the display resolution in Silent Hunter 4, in which case, you would choose an evenly divisible match, such as a 16:9 or 5:4 or whatever. If the video stream has to do floating point division to "draw" the game on your screen, that can really slow things down.