SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-11-19, 05:29 AM   #361
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

This is from the world highscore list leader, Hoocares.

Old 05-11-19, 06:02 AM   #362
Skybird
Soaring

I just noticed that German Amazon has Call of the Wild including all DLCs so far for 28 Euros, that means all weapons and species (including lions and Pumas) and equipment DLCs plus Medwed Taiga and Vurhonga Savanaha DLCs. The price is a steal and much cheaerp than you would get the stuff for at any Steam sale that so far always had just the main game at a reduced price then - the DLCs (eleven nof them) all costed full price still and came additionally.

I own the PS4 version of the game and also love it, like Classic. But I cannot say anything on how the bug situation is on PC, both versions may be very different in this regard. On PS4, I note no serious bugs. The development on COTW is ongoing and has all of EW's attention now, next they bring the antler scoring system from Classic into COTW. Seem this way the newer Hunter game indeed is the future. While Classic stays - well, classic.

My advise: do as I do, play them both.
Old 05-14-19, 05:51 PM   #363
Lord_magerius
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 96

Have to say Skybird I agree 100% with your comments regarding re-engaging with the game. It's made me wonder why I've just left it to one side, I suppose the money thing was the main issue for me. Being a single father it just didn't make sense to waste it on a subscription when I have so many better things to spend it on. Now it's completely free I've fallen in love once more.
I really do like the aspect of selling the kills for $GMS, sometimes if a hunt wasn't going well I'd often take does or cows just for the tiny blip that I'd get for weapon experience. Now I just sit it out and wait which definitely adds to the realism for me.
Also yes, I had issues with the ethical list when first trying it out again (Also had many brain farts with my various weapons, a 7mm bullpup is overkill on a bobcat ) but it's been fun exploring and learning the newer ballistic mechanics.
Right now if you'll excuse me I've got some hogs to hunt
Old 06-25-19, 04:14 PM   #364
Skybird
Soaring

Yukon valley reserve released.

Old 07-04-19, 04:44 PM   #365
Skybird
Soaring

I have taken the offer of the 2018 edition of COTW and embarked on the PC-version of the game as well. There are six (!) reserves now, and 39 (!) species, only 3 of them being waterfowl, which I welcome, I do not like this aspected of The Hunter, bird hunting, I find it boring.

There is good and not so good to report. The good stuff first: the game looks much better on PC than on PS4, and I must say especially the latest new reserves are works of breathtaking beauty. Considering that there is full night-and-day-cycle (the ingame time passes at factor 4) and many different weather and cloud situations, you are in for endless marvel and surprise. The reserves are huge, really huge, they are squares of 128 km2, means 11.3x11.3 km in size. The diversity in biomes and landscape is huge. We now have Africa, Patagonia, Alaska, American North-West, Central Europe/Germany, and Russian Tundra/Polar Circle. Each reserve offers different areas as well, not separated artifically like in many other sandbox games, but naturally blending into each other.

I have learned to really like the gameplay. Some of the species, pack predators as well as huge lone ranger type of animals, can turn aggresisve - and I mean really aggressive - I got chased by a pack of wolves because they were annoyed by the noise from my ATV... Sometimes, this behaviour can turn buggy, then I got chased by three water buffalos across half the map, again on ATV, and when I fled into a lodge, they broke into the house and there finished me off. I assume this is due to the aTV, but the ATV usually does not get used anymore once all watchtowers have been visited and all lodges and POIs have been revealed by doing so, at least i do not use ATVs after that anymore. The lack of the statistics stuff of Classic is no loss for me, I never cared for it, and I do not care for it here, I even have not installed the TrueRack addon, which would be free, because some say it is prone for bugs and technical issues.

And that leads to the not so good side of the game: there are bugs. Some are Steam-related and could be avoided by deactivating Steam Overlay, maybe also avoiding MP (I have not tried MP a single time). The studio does a terribly awful job in communicating with the community, and does not document these things nor issues warnings and help. Also, occasionally there are crashes in mid-game. Rarely, I must say, its not that often that it would stop me from playing, but more often than I am used to in other games these years.

If the interest for the beauty and the concept of the game exists, i nevertheless recommend to try this game, and also to invest into the new reserve DLCs, they are just too beautiful (and very typical for the landscape they got modelled after). The sounds of nature, the wind and leaves and water and all that, are superb. You can get lost in just wandering around in this huge, huge wild laid out before your eyes. Atmosphere, mood, immersion are words written in capital letters here, in bold, in signal-red. While the bug situation is a fact, I would no longer call it game-killing. A famous bug there was that made savegames unusable after some time. Well, not few people have met it, but the developer says it has been tackled in one of the recent patches, and most people seem to not get hit by it. I store away copies of save games to be safe, and have deactivated Steam autosynchronization. Probably nVidia Experience also should not be used, but that software, despite the good intention, proved to be such a problem maker for me on my old rig that on the new one I did not even install it again.

I recommend the 2019 edition, which gives you the African Savanna and Russian Tundra plus some very good equipment. In Germany, it saves you an awesome lot of money, too. When I bought it via Amazon, I must have saved around 50% of the total costs of all incldued items if I would have bought them individually and in a Steam sale.

There are no microtransactions with real money, you only buy reserve DLCs, and eventually equipment+weapon DLCs, most that I have - they are limite din numbers anyway - came with the 2019 edition. Classic now is fully free to play, its now gone microtransaction system was its biggest target drawing criticism. Its not existent in COTW, you use only ingame toy-currency to pay for your equipment and ammo. A very nice design, I must say.

A beautiful, a very beautiful game.

P.S. I forgot to mention the immense rendering distance for animals now. I have spotted animals at distances of up to almost 500 meters and without any height advantages. More range than you could wish for! The maximum is tied to the scenery complexity option that you choose. 500m I read is indeed the maximum.

Last edited by Skybird; 07-04-19 at 05:01 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-19, 05:52 PM   #366
Skybird
Soaring

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=4556
Old 11-27-19, 05:40 AM   #367
Skybird
Soaring

It... it... it lives on!

https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopi...0512&start=100
Hunte rClassic seems to have seen a massive boost due to the new business model.

This is from their staff. I could not beleive it when i read it. I hoped for the game just dwelling on, no further development. And now they even have hired new staff for it?! Wowh! And want to fire up the forum again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff/community manager
Hey all,

Sorry for the information delay, as most of you will have already seen/heard the news, but yes it is true! We are super happy with how the new business model is performing, so much so that we have hired some new staff!

I am not allowed to say anything more at this stage, but also like mentioned, momentum will be slowly gathering here and you can expect to see a lot more of me, however I am still required to work on COTW!

In saying that, with a new business model and the game moving into the future, there will be a few changes around here. I am hell bent on getting this place back into shape and back to the positive place it once was, it is time to let go of past hang ups, so we can all move into the future together. Yes, there is a small track record of bugs and slightly wonky releases and I am not denying that, but dwelling on them constantly and pressing them into storm clouds does nothing good for the community. People do not want to come here and read the same depressing messages from the same people, so by all means, express an opinion, but do not sit on it and bring it around with you, excessive negativity is against CoC and I will be standing on that rule hard going forward.

Times have changed since this forum was setup, technology has moved on and there are other network sources that I encourage you to start getting involved with, Discord is one of these. While it does not replace the forums, or serve the same purpose, it is much better for fast, real time communication for the community. It is also a great place to reach out to other players and find new hunting parties or friends.

I fight for this game more than you could possibly know and will continue to do so.

Have a great week and enjoy the Halloween Event... perhaps have a spare change of undies on you

TK

Beside ETS2, both Hunter games still are the most laid back and relaxing gamign expereince I know of. I like that it lives on. I currently play both games. Not as often as in past years, but stil: frequently, regularly.
Old 12-10-19, 11:23 AM   #368
Skybird
Soaring

Caught me by surprise today, I did not know this was coming:
new hunting reserve released, Cuatro Colinas (Spain), and so a completely new location in the series. Species to be hunted are Mouflon Sheep, Iberian Wolves, Wild Boar, Roe Deer, European Hare, Red Deer, and 4 breeds of Ibex.

Old 12-12-19, 06:10 PM   #369
Skybird
Soaring

It's now officially confirmed: The Hunter Classic is not abandoned, but has gotten a new development team.

https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopi...7804782cc9042d

You need log in in their forum.

What the thread is about: topic starter reveals himself as the new game designer, and says that he is jiust one of a whole team whose members will intoruce themsleves over the coming days and weeks. He says they are already at work to bring"new blood and trails", but does not mention the specifics. Before hoim, the community mamnager of the sutdio has insiated severla times that the game alive and well since they chnaged the business model. Mind you, the studio foudn a new owner a year ago and since then a loud silence broke out.

I do not care what they are working on, wheter it is new reserves and species or just new online events. The point is that they hired a new team to get work done on a game many have - wrongly - declare dead. This tells me that the game lives, and is here to stay for longer time to come.

I play Call of the Wild as well, and a lot now. Its a good game as well, it grows and gets good feedback from players at steam. They are both very good. The old one I play for the many good memories, the new one because it does quite some things better (although not all). Really, there is no sense in choosing if you can play both.
Old 01-11-20, 09:40 PM   #370
Skybird
Soaring

Take a timeout, relax.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-13-20 at 07:51 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-20, 03:50 PM   #371
Skybird
Soaring

New reserve released: Colorado, Rocky Mountains.

BTW, classic Hunter is live and well, gets occasional updates and even updated content.
Old 11-10-20, 05:19 PM   #372
Skybird
Soaring

I have an issue with the game, the animal's AI when being shot at. People knowing the game know the two issues I complain about when saying "Me Lai" and "circles".

Beyond this real flaw in the game design, this gives a good description of the normal animal AI - and how ver ycomplex it is.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...-wild-animals/

Classic The Hunter gets still suppported, sees some bug fixing done, and actively managed rolling mission tables. The game is not, as many pedicted, "dead". And I still play it after all these years!
Old 11-11-20, 07:02 PM   #373
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

i have both on the pc and even have wild on ps4 love both games only thing ever bother me was the hit box seem like the box was off a little maybe we can get a subsim huntng group going one that plays the games
Old 06-29-21, 07:25 AM   #374
Skybird
Soaring

The Americas just got a little bit bigger. Mexico.

Old 11-26-21, 05:22 AM   #375
Skybird
Soaring

I could imagine that many hunters have waited for this reserve: Lets hutn down by the ol' man river! It looks stunning.

New Epic Store Option with some free sale until Dec 2nd., ich I understood it correctly.

How much I love and hate this game. It has bugs and the developoer deteminently rejects to squash them. Its the bets looking nature and landscape engine I know.

The bugs are not game breaking, not causign crashes or such, at least not for me. But they show up in stupid AI issues. Not always, but sometimes.

But then, the immense beauty in this.