SUBSIM Radio Room Forums


SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2018, 05:40 PM   #2461
sunpack1
Nub
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Miami,FL USA
Posts: 3
Downloads: 80
Uploads: 0
Default TDW GR2 Editor Export/Import Option!

Have decided to make some mods and downloaded TDW editor/extractor/importer. Could NOT stop reading the almost 200 pages of this thread which was so enjoyable to learn about TDW tremendous effort in the makind this development possible, as well as Trumpteer's contribution as well as others...thank you for your time and hard work, congratulations to all!



After installing de editor had a lot of fun opening gr2 files. Inspired by this I am hoping to make a few mods for the game. I am a naval architect thus CAD software work have been in my work circle for many years.



Could not find a current tutorial except for some dead links posted by BigRed but all functionality is pretty straight forward except for export/import option is not in the menu.


Would appreciate if someone can help to point out how this is done. I have the latest version 11.459.1


Thank you!


SunPack1
sunpack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:46 PM   #2462
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot
 
Jeff-Groves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Nevada, Ohio
Posts: 2,341
Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0


Default

Hi Mate!
First, that would have been me as privateer. Not Trumpteer!


I'm still around so you can always PM me with questions.
__________________
privateer, Madox58, Jeff-Groves? Same crazy person.
Doing the same crazy stuff. Now you know.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:34 PM   #2463
sunpack1
Nub
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Miami,FL USA
Posts: 3
Downloads: 80
Uploads: 0
Default

Sorry Privateer, I guess I was lost in space...LOL!


Sent you a PM..




Thanks a Lot!




Armand/SunPack1
sunpack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:08 PM   #2464
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666
 
Aktungbby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: where I'm at presently
Posts: 15,959
Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0


Default Welcome aboard!

sunpack1!
__________________
"Only two things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity; And I'm not too sure about the Universe..." Philip K. Dick
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #2465
sunpack1
Nub
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Miami,FL USA
Posts: 3
Downloads: 80
Uploads: 0
Default

Thank you, Nice of you....Great to be here!




Armand/SunPack1
sunpack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:48 PM   #2466
kapuhy
Officer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Poland
Posts: 239
Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0
Default Import from Blender

Hello,

Trying to use GR2 Import option, I've run into a problem:

- Import works with .obj files I exported from game's gr2 files using gr2 editor
- However, any file I import into Blender and then export back to .obj, or any file created in Blender in first place and exported to .obj gives me "No verticies found" file error.

It seems that the problem somehow lies in Blender's import/export to/from .obj format. Has anyone succesfully imported objects done in Blender? If so, what were your export settings?
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:37 PM   #2467
gap
Navy Seal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CJ8937
Posts: 7,634
Downloads: 752
Uploads: 10


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Hello,

Trying to use GR2 Import option, I've run into a problem:

- Import works with .obj files I exported from game's gr2 files using gr2 editor
- However, any file I import into Blender and then export back to .obj, or any file created in Blender in first place and exported to .obj gives me "No verticies found" file error.

It seems that the problem somehow lies in Blender's import/export to/from .obj format. Has anyone succesfully imported objects done in Blender? If so, what were your export settings?
Hi kapuhy, my main modelling tool is Wings3d and I don't think I ever tried feeding Blender-exported models directly into Gr2 Editor (or if I did I forgot). Anyway from your description the problem seems to be a format used by Blender's obj exporter that Gr2Edit dislikes.

Obj files are easily edited using a spreadsheet program or any text editor but before we start digging into them,, can you download Wings3D and check that on your system Gr2Editor can load Wings3D -exported obj files?
__________________
_____________________
|May the Force be with you!|
...\/
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:13 PM   #2468
kapuhy
Officer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Poland
Posts: 239
Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Hi kapuhy, my main modelling tool is Wings3d and I don't think I ever tried feeding Blender-exported models directly into Gr2 Editor (or if I did I forgot). Anyway from your description the problem seems to be a format used by Blender's obj exporter that Gr2Edit dislikes.

Obj files are easily edited using a spreadsheet program or any text editor but before we start digging into them,, can you download Wings3D and check that on your system Gr2Editor can load Wings3D -exported obj files?
Hi Gap,

I just tried method you proposed and I'm looking at my ship model in TDW's gr2 editor Thanks!

To be more specific, Blender doesn't have export directly to Wings3D so I exported to .3ds in Blender, then imported it in Wings3D and reexported to .obj from there. Resulting .obj file can be imported by TDW's program.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:10 PM   #2469
gap
Navy Seal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CJ8937
Posts: 7,634
Downloads: 752
Uploads: 10


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
I just tried method you proposed and I'm looking at my ship model in TDW's gr2 editor Thanks!
My pleasure kapuhy, I am glad that my workaround worked for you!

This afternoon I have been looking into your issue, and after taking a quick glance at a blender-exported obj file in notepad, I think I might know what is causing Gr2Editor not to import your files directly. The following link describes pretty well the issue:

https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/qu...ve-no-newlines

If my guess is correct, you should apply the opposite* of the following method on your obj files if you wish to import them in Gr2 Editor without the W3D step:

http://sql313.com/index.php/blog/62-...ine-characters

* Just make sure that you are replacing the \n (Line Feed, LF) character with \r\n (Carriage Return and Line Feed, CRLF).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
To be more specific, Blender doesn't have export directly to Wings3D so I exported to .3ds in Blender, then imported it in Wings3D and reexported to .obj from there. Resulting .obj file can be imported by TDW's program.
Both the obj and the 3ds format are well supported by Blender and Wings3D. You can use either of them to port your projects from one program to the other
__________________
_____________________
|May the Force be with you!|
...\/
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2020 Subsim