SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-19-17, 07:19 AM   #5461
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
I wonder if someone will ever try and make full interiors for fleetboats?
Someone was doing that a while back (not for FotRSU), but I don't think they ever finished, and I cannot find the old thread. Maybe someone else remembers it. There are quite a few "Fleet" boats to deal with, though all similar. One thing about modeling the interior of the boats is the hit on the performance of the user's computer. It would be nice to have as an option, though I'm sure it'd complicate a lot of the work that CapnScurvy has done...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-17, 04:09 PM   #5462
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Captain America started work on extending the CR to include Officers Quarters and you can read about it here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//sho...d.php?t=155147

Very sad that the images are gone, thank Photobucket and their 3rd party off site hosting fee for that.

In TMO19 Ducimus started to add compartments using this method that you can access a little however they are dark.

It was a clever idea to simply extend the CR and insert bulkheads to pass through, but it was soon realized that it would have taken a supercomputer to render this interior work, so it stopped.
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 08:02 AM   #5463
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

I thought this would be a good time to give an update on the progress in getting AI subs into Fotrs Ultimate, and AI firing torpedoes in general. There will be 11 AI Submarines:

1 American Fleetboat
1 German U-Boat
9 Japanese Submarines

Of the 9 Japanese subs, 4 will have patrol aircraft capabilities (carry an armed float plane) which can attack from long distances.

And their deadly:

Like any other "carrier", if your sub is detected, the plane will be launched toward your last known location as long as the sub is within range.

The remaining AI Subs will have the capabilities to "attack" your player sub using all available armaments. If detected, the enemy subs will leave their destination way points and seek out your sub, much like the Destroyers will.

One such armament will be the added AI Torpedoes that all AI Subs will have, plus the games Destroyers and PT boats.

As an example, I've had a test mission using two Japanese Subs (a Model C3, and a Jyunsen B) against 4 enemy freighters traveling at various speeds. The results are a "clean sweep" of the ocean from the two subs!!

Here's the Jyunsen B sending a second spread to the first Freighter:

As the following map shows, the first Freighter is sunk, and the C3 is closing in on Freighter 3 and 4:

The C3 has both of its Deck Gun 55's firing as the sub approaches the acceptable torpedo range of 1400 yards or less:

Once it's within range, it too fires its torpedoes:

As I said, with these two AI Subs approaching the four various targets.....their not going to avoid destruction!

Which brings up the fact that your sub will have a greater challenge in survivorability then ever before:

This added threat will also come from the enemy surface ships equipped with AI Torpedoes. I'm still working on putting them onto all Destroyers and appropriate ships as required. But, the outcome is the same. You don't want to take this added weapon lightly!!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 12:55 PM   #5464
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
I thought this would be a good time to give an update on the progress in getting AI subs into Fotrs Ultimate, and AI firing torpedoes in general. There will be 11 AI Submarines:
Holy cow, Capn! THIS is well worth waiting for.
Yikes. Where's Steve Irwin when we need his "Danger! Danger! Danger!" bit?

The future is bright! Thanks Capn!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-17, 01:29 PM   #5465
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366
Uploads: 0
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
I thought this would be a good time to give an update on the progress in getting AI subs into Fotrs Ultimate, and AI firing torpedoes in general.
OUTSTANDING Capn! Can't wait to try it out! I have ran across planes dropping torpedoes while I was on the surface during an rescue mission for downed aviators. Diving the boat and going to the free camera to watch the torpedoes go above your conning tower!! GREAT JOB!

THANKS TEAM!!
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-17, 09:13 AM   #5466
propbeanie

Our only comfort is that the US ASW airplanes start dropping homing torps in 1944...

Old 11-24-17, 07:45 PM   #5467
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Our only comfort is that the US ASW airplanes start dropping homing torps in 1944...
I'm still not leaving pearl...

Gonna get a transfer to harbor patrol... I'm slightly safer there me thinks.
Old 11-25-17, 12:44 AM   #5468
Lt commander lare
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 781
Uploads: 35
radar

How can we Get Rid of all the background Noises

the Whales
the Whistling and all the other noises would just like to hear the Subs Engines the rest of the mod is outstanding.
Old 11-25-17, 08:01 AM   #5469
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt commander lare View Post

the Whales
the Whistling and all the other noises would just like to hear the Subs Engines the rest of the mod is outstanding.
Nix! Nada! Nein! No! Those sounds are actually less prominent than they would be in a real sonar. A HUGE part of sonar training is learning the natural sounds of the ocean and differentiating them from sounds of targets. That is because they are frequent and loud for real.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-17, 08:54 AM   #5470
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
I'm still not leaving pearl...

Gonna get a transfer to harbor patrol... I'm slightly safer there me thinks.
... me thinks that the only "safe harbour" would be mid-continental U.S. of A., say like St. Louis, MO, on the Mississippi River (my old hometown), patrolling ~that~ harbor... Lots of good, live bands playing downtown also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt commander lare View Post

the Whales
Those are one of the "Ambient..." sound files, "amb_SubmarineInterior.wav" in particular, which are easy enough to blank. However, it gets really weird on a "silent" boat, like a vacuum in space... However, other mods do have the same-named file, with different sounds, so find one you like, and copy over the one in "Game / Data / Sound". Back-up the original, 'just-in-case'... Be careful of the frequency rate and bit-depth of the new file though (match the current file), else you run the possibility of completely messing up the game's sounds... Certain of the other files are also sensitive to their length, and can't be over 15-18 seconds long, else "The SOUND" will haunt you ...

Old 11-25-17, 07:15 PM   #5471
Lt commander lare
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 781
Uploads: 35
radar

Great Thank You.
Old 11-26-17, 12:08 AM   #5472
propbeanie

It would be best to "build" your own mod, so that you can back that off if you do run into issues, especially audio issues. We wouldn't be able to track down any troubles you might have with the beta, especially when this next version comes out...

Old 11-26-17, 10:41 AM   #5473
kcoun
Watch

Downloads: 766

It's been awhile since the last update .. possible to get an idea what features / fixes might be forthcoming ? Thank you.
kcoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-17, 11:37 AM   #5474
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

CapnScurvy: Could FOTRSU has a complete OTC? Really I miss it. The actual configuration seems to me more a MaxOptics than the awesome OTC.

Many thanks for all the job!

Fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-17, 12:07 PM   #5475
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoun View Post
It's been awhile since the last update .. possible to get an idea what features / fixes might be forthcoming ? Thank you.
Obviously, as a couple of posts ago show, the next update will contain AI Subs. These subs will have firing torpedoes, which will make the player vulnerable to an increased threat, worthy of taking extra precautions!

As was historically accurate, 4 of the Japanese AI Subs will also carry a Scout Plane, which will be spawned in the usually manner as any other "carrier". The "Pete" Floatplane will carry bombs also worthy of extra care for the player. This Scout Floatplane capability will also be include on several Battleships, Heavy and Light Cruisers, for all sides, to follow historical accurate capabilities/functions.

A "fix" has been made to the ability of having the Weapons Officer call out the phrase "Firing at will" when commanded to do so (per this recent request).

Updates to Harbor Traffic, and Campaign Missions will be prominent too.

Newly added ship units will include the Daihatsu Landing Craft pack, and the Shinshu Maru Japanese Landing Ship, from its creator ZUIKAKU2604. Additional ships are being worked on from other team members.

A dozen other small "fixes" will be introduced as well.

Adding working AI Torpedoes has opened up another avenue for modification.....surface ships firing torpedoes at enemy targets along with their Deck Gun inventory. The following images show a test mission of mine having a Japanese Hatsuharu Destroyer positioned off from three stationary American Freighters, with an American PT boat approaching the Destroyer. My task was to determine the correct firing "lead" angle of the Torpedoes from both the DD and PT boat, to allow for a reasonable percentage of "hits" to a moving target. Although in this test, only the PT boat is moving. Past results have proven a 50% hit rate in torpedo accuracy with moving units. I have determined this "lead" angle is 4 degrees and 7 degrees, at distances of up to 1400 yards creates the 50% hit results, at most possible speeds.

As one may suspect, this test mission has an 80% hit percentage (considering the Destroyer and Freighters are stationary), but it was fun to watch the PT boat and other mechanics of the weapons.

Here's a torpedo from the Hatsuharu being dropped into the water:

Here's two more:

Torpedoes away:

The PT boat comes into range of the Destroyer (1400 yards) and starts its attack:

With the Destroyer firing torpedoes in both directions (Freighters and PT boat), you end up with both attacking units being destroyed:

The Freighters outcome are no better:

By the time all torpedoes have found their mark, the only unit left to tell-the-tail is the players sub, just outside of harms way.

The AI Torpedoes will have an impact on how you will approach gameplay. A worthy addition to the game for Fotrs Ultimate.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote