SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-23-24, 12:12 PM   #5896
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
Ah, no something else wasn't pinging me so then there is something funky going on. OH BOY.
Well... Looking in my v1.8, there are TWO entries for the N01 node on the midget (the "N" stands for "soNar", and "H" for "Hydrophone")... sigh - one does indeed have a "LinkName=Type93-1A" sonar associated with it... Both of the sns calls show dating of "StartDate=19380101" and "EndDate=19451231", which should have been "flagged" in our error checks, but is somehow missed by all our little "checker" apps for that... sigh - Thanks for finding that and giving the report! We do want them to have hydrophone, so that they can "follow" you somewhat, but NOT sonar. Also, be warned that when they go Ahead Full when chasing or running away, they will submerge somehow, and possibly manage to get off a shot at you. I had one spiral down to about 100 foot before it "died" - it is, after all, a surface ship in the mod... Also, they are "hardy" little buggers still, in spite of us lowering the armor values on them. They usually do not do the pool cue ball trick anymore, like in Stock, but they sometimes do not "die" right away with a torpedo hit either. Also, you might have to hit them more than once with a deck gun... Go too far with edits though, and they sink in storms.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-24, 01:07 PM   #5897
Capt RAP
Watch

Downloads: 253
Uploads: 0
Default Other Subs too

I also had a sub running around like crazy "Pinging" me with sonar. It was NOT a mini sub. Sorry it's been a while since I encountered it so I don't remember the class. This post just "kicked" the old mind to remember, so I wanted to put it out there.
CAPT RAP
Again, thanks for your hard work in this great Mod.!!
Capt RAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-24, 09:25 PM   #5898
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1755

I'm just glad I could help. It was quite a surprising to hear those pings. With that being said if that little sucker had been a typeD midget than it might have had a sonar. That one was a different design to the A, B, and C versions. It had a 5 man crew vs 2.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-24, 10:04 PM   #5899
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Well... Looking in my v1.8, there are TWO entries for the N01 node on the midget (the "N" stands for "soNar", and "H" for "Hydrophone")... sigh - one does indeed have a "LinkName=Type93-1A" sonar associated with it... Both of the sns calls show dating of "StartDate=19380101" and "EndDate=19451231", which should have been "flagged" in our error checks, but is somehow missed by all our little "checker" apps for that... sigh - Thanks for finding that and giving the report! We do want them to have hydrophone, so that they can "follow" you somewhat, but NOT sonar. Also, be warned that when they go Ahead Full when chasing or running away, they will submerge somehow, and possibly manage to get off a shot at you. I had one spiral down to about 100 foot before it "died" - it is, after all, a surface ship in the mod... Also, they are "hardy" little buggers still, in spite of us lowering the armor values on them. They usually do not do the pool cue ball trick anymore, like in Stock, but they sometimes do not "die" right away with a torpedo hit either. Also, you might have to hit them more than once with a deck gun... Go too far with edits though, and they sink in storms.
what's the date-time stamp on your V1.8 NS_Ko_Hyoteki .sns file?
the one that is in my installation of V1.8 was created on 8/9/2020 0421 am, is part of V1.8 and is not modified by any other mod in the modset.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-24, 01:31 AM   #5900
Fearless
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 340
Uploads: 1

Wow, I hit a Fleet Carrier with 4 torpedoes and the beast still didn’t sink. I had to get out of there as 5 destroyers were looking for me.

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8 Core 16 Thread CPU, 3.8GHz Base Clock, 4.7GHz Boost, 105W TDP, 32MB L3 cache | MSI GeForce RTX3060Ti 8Gb Graphics | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32Gb (2x16Gb) 3200 MHz CL16 DDR4 Ram | Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe SSD 1TB | Seagate Barracuda 2.5in 2TB HDD | AOC QHD 165 Hz FreeSync HDR curved 31.5in Monitor | ASUS ROG Strix LC 240 ARGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler White Edition | ASUS ROG Strix Gold 750W Modular Power Supply | Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB Tempered Glass Mid Tower Case White.

Last edited by Fearless; 03-24-24 at 01:57 AM.
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-24, 08:35 AM   #5901
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt RAP View Post
I also had a sub running around like crazy "Pinging" me with sonar. It was NOT a mini sub. Sorry it's been a while since I encountered it so I don't remember the class. This post just "kicked" the old mind to remember, so I wanted to put it out there.
CAPT RAP
Again, thanks for your hard work in this great Mod.!!
Thanks for that, but that is to be expected. We do not have any coastal boats the IJN used, so anything larger than a Kaidai would have sonar. We add that a bit early in the mod, which is to instill the fear of the Type 95 torpedo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
I'm just glad I could help. It was quite a surprising to hear those pings. With that being said if that little sucker had been a typeD midget than it might have had a sonar. That one was a different design to the A, B, and C versions. It had a 5 man crew vs 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
what's the date-time stamp on your V1.8 NS_Ko_Hyoteki .sns file?
the one that is in my installation of V1.8 was created on 8/9/2020 0421 am, is part of V1.8 and is not modified by any other mod in the modset.
Therein lies the rub... the submarine folder Ko Hyoteki in the game is only parked in harbors. The Sea folder NSS_Ko is the one that drives around barely on the surface, and is the one encountered by J0313. That's the one with the doubled entry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
Wow, I hit a Fleet Carrier with 4 torpedoes and the beast still didn’t sink. I had to get out of there as 5 destroyers were looking for me.
That can happen. There is more than one "critical hit" location on most ships, including carriers, though they can be difficult to hit well enough to do severe damage to a ship - except the cruisers . Plus, there is always the chance of a torpedo not imparting the full force of its detonation, which would be like a low-level detonation. It's like the Yamato class, which can easily absorb 10-12 torpedo hits before succumbing, if you don't have at least one that hits a "critical" location. Did the CV at least slow down for you after you hit it? Maybe after the DD lose interest in you, you can give chase... ??

Old 03-24-24, 11:37 AM   #5902
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:

Therein lies the rub... the submarine folder Ko Hyoteki in the game is only parked in harbors. The Sea folder NSS_Ko is the one that drives around barely on the surface, and is the one encountered by J0313. That's the one with the doubled entry.
ah. Sea vs Submarine.
seems to me i remember someone posting that the Ko was a surface vessel etc,etc,etc.
that fact did not click until i read your post and dug back into the Sea folder to find...
[Sensor 2]
NodeName=H01
LinkName=Type93-1P
StartDate=19380101
EndDate=19451231

[Sensor 3]
NodeName=N01
LinkName=Type93-1A
StartDate=19380101
EndDate=19451231

ok. well, then, there has been further word on this subject and i stand corrected.

LAA enabled
Old 03-24-24, 05:40 PM   #5903
propbeanie

That Sensor 2 is OK, since otherwise they wouldn't know where to go to find you to shoot at, once you submerge. Nothing quite like hearing the whirr of a torpedo you know you didn't shoot. It sure would be nice to have a "Incoming torpedo! Bear XXX, high speed!", but alas... Anyway, the problem lies with Sensor 3 and Sensor 4 there, which are the doubled entry, both of the same dates... flying fickle fingers of frustration...

Old 03-24-24, 09:59 PM   #5904
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
That Sensor 2 is OK, since otherwise they wouldn't know where to go to find you to shoot at, once you submerge. Nothing quite like hearing the whirr of a torpedo you know you didn't shoot. It sure would be nice to have a "Incoming torpedo! Bear XXX, high speed!", but alas... Anyway, the problem lies with Sensor 3 and Sensor 4 there, which are the doubled entry, both of the same dates... flying fickle fingers of frustration...
in my installation, Sensor 4 through 9 are NULL.
#1 is visual, #2 is hydrophone and #3 is sonar. i do not see any dupes, unless you mean the overlapping dates for the same Nodename.

[Sensor 3]
NodeName=N01
LinkName=Type93-1A
StartDate=19380101
EndDate=19451231

[Sensor 4]
NodeName=N01
LinkName=NULL
StartDate=19380101
EndDate=19451231

LAA enabled
Old 03-25-24, 01:41 PM   #5905
propbeanie

Yes, those two are for the single N01 found node on the boat, which is what "tells" the game what equipment is called for on the LinkName line to be mounted. Both should not have the same date, else the first encountered (Sensor 3) will lord over the 2nd, and reign supreme, not allowing the "NULL" to ever be used... Sensor 3 will be eliminated in the next version, and the remainder renumbered down...

Old 03-26-24, 12:53 AM   #5906
LuckyCapitan
Watch

Downloads: 152

Hello. During all my campaigns, I did not come across a single defective torpedo, although in the period 1942-1943 the United States had big problems with this. Why isn't this in the game?
In the realism settings I turned on defective torpedoes
LuckyCapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-24, 10:31 AM   #5907
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366
Default Defective Torpedos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCapitan View Post
Hello. During all my campaigns, I did not come across a single defective torpedo, although in the period 1942-1943 the United States had big problems with this. Why isn't this in the game?
You were lucky,Lucky Captain! It does happen, especially when you have a big, juicely target in your cross hairs and the fish run true and hot. Then nothing happens or there is a detonation just before it reaches the target. Then all of his friends come to gives little presents that go boom!
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-24, 12:59 PM   #5908
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCapitan View Post
As Larrywb57 mentions, it might all boil down to "luck". The game does have a tendency to not be very "random" when it rolls the dice. If the time frame you are in has a 50-50 chance of a dud, then you might get 12 of 24 good detonations in a row, then 12 duds in a row. However, there is also another aspect of this...

There is the "dud" setting when accessing the main menu Options choice and then the Gameplay Settings:

Now, that is not an illustration for "Dud Torpedoes" directly, but you can see the choice there under the dialog box. This menu item affects the War Patrol, Single Missions, Sub School, and Multi-Player choices. If, however, you are going into a career, you need to set the same choices for that specific career, by accessing the Options menu again, which is done from the Captain's Office in-port prior to going on patrol, as below:

Notice that the cursor is over the wooden radio console. That is where the Options menu is found, and again use the Gameplay Settings to set the "Dud Torpedoes"

Each career can have a different setting for most aspects, and they do not disturb what you set on the Main Menu, which has to be set for each separate section (or "mode") of the game you play. Also, mentioning "modes", if you are playing a Single Mission, and then want to go play a career, you really should exit the game, re-start it, then go into the career. This is due to the fact that the game does not like changing "modes", and has a tendency to keep parts of the previously used "mode" in the computer's memory... Main Menu, that really isn't... sigh - Anyway, check your settings for which "mode" of the game you are playing